Question of the Day: Sunday, December 18

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy 4th Sunday of Advent!

advent-2995808_1920.jpg

If you have an advent's wreath with real candles, this is what it will look like today - candles of uneven length! Unless, of course, you've been changing them regularly so they have burnt down to the same size - or perhaps you've replaced them all.

This year, on 4th Sunday in Advent, we still have a whole week till the big day. So there's no reason to panic if you've still got shopping, cleaning, baking, cooking and other chores on your to-do list.

I am fortunate not feeling obliged to put on a show at all but I'll still be glad when the last presents have been wrapped and distributed.

How are the rest of you doing? Panicking or relaxed and looking forward to the holiday?
Do those of you not celebrating this particular religious holiday think we have all gone mad?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
How are the rest of you doing? Panicking or relaxed and looking forward to the holiday? Do those of you not celebrating this particular religious holiday think we have all gone mad?
I'm fine, kicking myself for waiting until the last few days to get some gifts but that's my M.O. :lol: I've also been eating too many sweets but the holidays are a good excuse for that and I'll work it off at the gym tomorrow.

We live in a very diverse area that celebrates different holidays so I try to be respectful of everyone's beliefs. However, the one thing we all see eye to eye on is making sure our pets are safe and warm. In just a bit, DH and I will be dropping off food and paper supplies to one of our favorite animal shelters. 🐾

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have things pretty well wrapped up, literally. I just need a grocery store run for a few things for Christmas Eve dinner and bread for Christmas Day. I do look forward to it being all over with and the quiet of January coming.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's pretty much just another day for me. It's just the cats and me so I don't see a reason to decorate or bake or anything. If I want a dessert I can just hit the Publix bakery for some cookies. They have a really good Key lime pie. They have mini ones. I usually pick up one of those. Dinner is easy. I have to defrost the steak that the girls and I will share. Everything else is easy.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've finished shopping, but still have to wrap. I was thinking about getting that done after dinner today. I've done about half of my baking, but have this week off so plenty of time to get the last five recipes done...That's Monday and Tuesday's jobs. Once all the baking is done then I need to make up all the trays/containers for my gifts. I need to get one last grocery shop in but it has to wait until no earlier than the 23rd...want it to be as fresh as possible. I also have some food to make for Boxing Day when I go for dinner at my Sister's, but I'll do that the day of.
Funny thing about my last grocery shop....One of the things my niece asked for this year.....she's such a weirdo...but I love it because so am I...is pears. Pears...as in the fruit! My sister does buy pears once in a while but I guess she was craving them when making her list. The thing is, pears are probably one of my favorites so I thought it would be a good gift from me...It's just going to be a funny "add on" gift. I love that she's a weirdo like me. I remember getting things like olives or a box of minute rice in my stocking when I was a kid and would be SO excited...I still love olives and rice...could eat them everyday.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a fan of the holidays so I really can't wait for it to all be done and over with.My shopping is done...just have to wrap.I have time though as we won't be doing Christmas with our son and daughter in law until New Years eve.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's not enough going on for us to panic about. My house will be cleaned up, but not hospital clean, and the food will be good, but not a huge spread.
All I have to do is finish mixing up a gift on Friday, then put it in a gift bag (it's perishable so I want it made close to Christmas Day). The weather says blizzard conditions are possible, so unless no one else manages to brave coming to work, I won't have much to do anyway!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh definitely having moments of panic here! We have baking, wrapping and decorating to do. Cleaning and cooking. Tomorrow I start soaking the Baccala.

I was going to skip the gingerbread houses this year but DS was disappointed and I found them on clearance today so I picked up 2. They don’t need me for that so much anymore.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just finished up with all the christmas cards
:censored: I forgot about cards! Gotta write them out too....Thankfully, I don't need to buy any because I have a mixed stash of them from when I bought a whole bunch on a major clearance a few years back.
I hate cards, but everyone seems to love them, so I partake. :sigh: I'd be much happier getting/giving a post-it note pad with the first page written something nice on it...or even just a smiley face drawn on. At least it's useful after.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm running out of time on making all of the things I'm making for people. I have to run my kiln tomorrow and then (at least) two more times before Christmas. I'm making pho bowls for my sister and brother-in-law so they have to be pretty big and my kiln is kind of small, so I have to figure out the best use of space. The things I still need to finish making are three or four pottery pieces (not sure what they will be) for my aunt, cousins and grandma, a crocheted Pennywise doll for my brother, a crocheted Isabela doll (from Encanto) for my younger niece, a crocheted dragon for a friend's kid and a crocheted dinosaur for another friend's kid (the last two don't have to be done until sometime in January though).

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Half panicking. I still have a few presents to buy, a gingerbread house to build, and everything to wrap. J gets to go to school twice this week, so I tell myself I have time on Wednesday. And I have a few more days to finish the birthday stuff at least.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm fairly relaxed. Everything has been delivered (online shopping) and wrapped, I baked oatmeal cookies yesterday to go with my office secret Santa gift, and I have 11 days off coming up! I'm looking forward to seeing my nephew's faces on Christmas when they open their gifts.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing going on here, and can't go home, so no panic. I'd like to think of something else to get for my 93 year old father, but he's a tough one. Hubby and I don't exchange, and I won't be cooking a huge dinner for just the two of us. If he wants a turkey, he can cook it himself.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No panic. As I have mentioned before we aren’t exchanging gifts. I got a steak on sale for us for dinner. I miss wrapping the gifts. I learned to do gift wrap many years ago when I worked for JC Penney. I always loved wrapping the gifts I was giving. I did some cookies today since I couldn’t let the holiday go by without Jan Hagels.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fairly relaxed for the rest of the holiday, and finally getting into the festive spirit as I hadn't really been feeling it in the earlier half of December.