Question Of The Day, Sunday, April 16, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After a morning of working in the yard, I love jumping into the pool. When I take a vacation day to work outside, I'll make dinner early in the morning and then throw it into the fridge for the day. It might be marinated chicken or some kind of veggie dish. Then I'll get my work done, so that by 2:00 or so, I can be lounging in my chair in the pool. Get out around 4:30 or so, throw dinner on the grill, and then, jump back in the water while dinner is cooking. We'll have dinner out on the picnic table in the back yard.

I like mowing the yard, too; I have always enjoyed mowing yard.
ahhh, the pool!!! :cloud9: and that sounds like a great way to stay comfortable in the hot weather.

this year, i'll be using my lawn tractor to mow the lawn. i just need to switch out the snow blower attachment for the mower, and rearrange things in the mini barn so that the snow blower can be stored allowing for space to park the lawn tractor.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love being outside and it never gets that hot here so during the summer I'll happily stay out all day. I like doing yoga on the deck, gardening, building things for the cats to climb (And trying to make an enclosure fence that they can't climb over) going for walks and horse riding.

It was actually warm enough for my first coffee break outside this afternoon.

:cloud9:
that sounds like ideal summer weather, where you live!!! :agree: and great things you enjoy doing! :thumbsup:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I notice almost everyone has a garden. I wonder if it's related to loving cats in some obscure way? Gardens here start in early March. Of course, there has to be catnip. My guys petitioned - no, demanded - more, so being the marshmallow I am, they have two big plants this year. I didn't need that English thyme anyway.

We have "snowbirds" that come here for the winter. I might want to be a "heat bird" who migrates north for the summer.

You folks who hate snow should head this way. It snows once every few years. The most snow I ever remember getting was 2" and it was gone within a few hours. The whole city shut down.

Fall is my time to frolic but summer is my time to hibernate. Whoever invented air conditioning is my hero.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like most Brits, I love summer. Yes, the humidity is tough, but I don't complain because I hate being cold. I love wearing shorts, Capris & tees. And flip flops. Love walking when there is a warm breeze. Or even a hot wind - I like that too.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a pool in our backyard that we swim in. It also comes with a heater so we can swim in it when it is lukewarm (I am a big freeze-baby). We also live not too far from a beach near a small lake that we go to.

Another thing we like to do is go to the zoo to visit the animals; it is my nephew's favorite place to go.
swimming in your pool! very nice!!! :thumbsup: and that sounds perfect, having a heater in the pool. :cloud9:

ahhh, the zoo!! :biggrin:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer is my favorite season! Love being outdoors, walking with the dogs or doing yard work. And one of my ideal settings is sitting outside with a good murder mystery and a glass of ice tea!!
walking with your dogs! most excellent!!! :clap:

that sounds very relaxing!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Autumn here, but because our Summer is so hot and humid, I do a lot of 'summery' things in our Winter.. Long bushwalks, really get into the heavier garden jobs, go swimming and lounge around outside with a good book or a podcast.
long walks and swimming! very nice!!! :clap: and relaxing outside with a book or podcast! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't do summer well. Never have. It drains me.
Staying as air conditioned as possible.
i think i can understand that! :agree: change what you posted to 'winter', and switch 'air conditioning' to 'warm' ......and that's me during the winter months.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love sitting on the deck with my e-reader and a glass of iced tea or lemonade.
I love going out the door without worrying about jackets, or worse gloves and boots.
I love puttering in my garden
I love not having to turn on the lights until almost bedtime
I love having the windows open
I don't totally love mowing the lawn, but compared to shoveling the driveway, it'll always be my preference
The only thing I don't like about summer is spiders and earwigs.
ahhh, very nice!!! :thumbsup:

i don't like the tiny 'sugar' ants that come into my house in search of anything sweet smelling. if they find anything, they'll come back with about 50 or more 'friends'.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love nothing better than working in the garden for a few hours then sitting down with a cup of coffee and a good book. After an hour or so, back to the garden and repeat. I have just have a conservatory built so even if it rains I can still sit and read that's presuming my cats leave enough room on the sofa for me.
that sounds very nice!!! :thumbsup: and a great way to 'pace yourself' when working in your garden.

wow!! a conservatory -- that both you and your cats can enjoy! :catrub:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't particularly like heat and humidity is a killer for me but after six long months of winter I enjoy walking for miles unless there's an ozone alert, relaxing in the yard and visiting all our local farmer's markets. :)
most excellent!!! :clap: ahhh, the local farmer's markets! :cloud9:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand the summer heat. Also I can't do a lot outside because of my arthritis. I mostly stay inside and watch TV or use the computer. Sometimes I will go to the movies or go visit my sister and play with her dogs. Since my cats are gone I get lonely for the friendship of pets and I love her Boston Terriers.
i can understand that! :agree: i have to use caution during the hot days of summer -- can't stay out for long, and must stay well hydrated.

very nice!!! :thumbsup: i'm so glad you can visit and play with your sister's Boston Terriers!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer is the time when we get a lot of health club benefits and exercise. In the summer, with all the humidity, we have a natural, free outdoor sauna. We sell it to the tourists as such and they go for it. We natives know enough not to stay out in it very long. Believe me, women here don't get dewey, they sweat like hard-run race horses. I'm pretty sure we're the deodorant buying capitol of the world. We get lots of exercise running from house to car, dancing and squirming on the hot seat, fanning ourselves furiously while the AC tries to cope, and then dashing from car to inside, back into the AC.

We don't have a pool, so I spend most of the time hiding in the house, urging the ancient AC to hang on one more season. One month we set the thermostat in our fairly large all-electric house to "very comfortably cool" . The electric company rewarded us for the business with a $850 bill. Since then, the thermostat has been set at "barely tolerable."

As much as I like to cook, use of the ovens is forbidden during the summer. Quick-fix is the menu of the season.

I catch up on a lot of reading and loom knitting (I make chemo caps for a major cancer center), fiddle on the computer, watch a little TV, and do a good bit of napping. I loved our old water bed because it was cool in summer and warm in winter.

The drip system tries to keep up with the thirsty plants, and Robert makes the world's fastest harvest runs. They're fast not only because he does't want to spend any time outside, but also because just about everything has shut down until we get a bit of cooler weather, usually about November.

Hot? We go to Hell's boiler room to cool off.

Summer here isn't for sissies.
Highs in the 70s? We haven't had that low since January. We've already had a couple of 90+ days and this week the highs are near 90.

Mid-70s? I'm headed your way, micknsnicks2mom.

i'm sure it gets much hotter where you live than here in NY State, and there are quite a few days during the summer here that get what i call 'hot as Hades'.

great summer activities!!! :thumbsup:

:biggrin:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a "heat" person but I do enjoy my garden and watching the birds at the feeders. I love to swim but I don't get to very often. DH and I have talked about putting a pool in. :cloud9:
gardening and watching the birds at the feeders! very nice!!! :clap:

ahhh, a pool! and you could sit in a chair in the pool to stay cool, like Winchester Winchester does! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our summers are long, oppressively hot and humid. There is no opening of windows. I think the last time we opened windows was when the AC went out a year ago August. The AC must be on and we use it about 9 months out of the year if not more. I avoid the outdoors during the day whenever possible. Nighttime is still hot but more bearable. We don't have "summer" activities here because it's summer more often than it is not. the upside? NO. SNOW. EVER.
i remember when your AC went out! :agree:

YAY!!! for no snow! :woo:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
gardening and watching the birds at the feeders! very nice!!! :clap:

ahhh, a pool! and you could sit in a chair in the pool to stay cool, like Winchester Winchester does! :D
There you go! We have a floating chair. Looks kinda like a lawn chair. I'll jump in the pool and then float around with a book. I also keep a cold drink right next to the pool, so that I can float over and grab it when I need it....in a plastic cup, no glass. We have a couple rafts, too, that I'll hop on. We don't really swim per se in the pool when we're alone (it's a rule of the house that nobody ever swims alone), but I will either hop in "my" chair or on a raft and float the afternoon away. If I get too warm, I'll roll over and jump in the water to cool off, but then I'll get right back on the raft.