Question Of The Day, Sunday, April 16, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

it seems like summer is fast approaching here! we're already having some days in the mid-70's (F). just today i was looking at the lawn, keeping an eye on when i'll need to start mowing it.

for today's Question of the Day......

What do you enjoy doing during the summer months?

i'll start!

i really enjoy reading during the hot weather months, as well as watching tv shows/movies and playing computer games.

i like mowing the lawn too, and doing yard work. after i finish those, i'll cool off by having some ice cream...:yummy:

i'll make and can jams/jellies/preserves through the summer months too -- i always enjoy doing that.

and i love watching my cats enjoying the fresh air and sunshine while sitting in the windows. :kneading:

how about you?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hot weather is something I don't enjoy at all, so most of my activity is indoors, for example reading. I do like early morning walks and hanging out on the balcony with Mogli in the evening.

My husband is an avid gardener, so he does all the yard work.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
After a morning of working in the yard, I love jumping into the pool. When I take a vacation day to work outside, I'll make dinner early in the morning and then throw it into the fridge for the day. It might be marinated chicken or some kind of veggie dish. Then I'll get my work done, so that by 2:00 or so, I can be lounging in my chair in the pool. Get out around 4:30 or so, throw dinner on the grill, and then, jump back in the water while dinner is cooking. We'll have dinner out on the picnic table in the back yard.

I like mowing the yard, too; I have always enjoyed mowing yard.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I love being outside and it never gets that hot here so during the summer I'll happily stay out all day. I like doing yoga on the deck, gardening, building things for the cats to climb (And trying to make an enclosure fence that they can't climb over) going for walks and horse riding.

It was actually warm enough for my first coffee break outside this afternoon.

:cloud9:

jennifurr

To err is human, to purr is feline
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a pool in our backyard that we swim in. It also comes with a heater so we can swim in it when it is lukewarm (I am a big freeze-baby). We also live not too far from a beach near a small lake that we go to.

Another thing we like to do is go to the zoo to visit the animals; it is my nephew's favorite place to go.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Summer is my favorite season! Love being outdoors, walking with the dogs or doing yard work. And one of my ideal settings is sitting outside with a good murder mystery and a glass of ice tea!!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's Autumn here, but because our Summer is so hot and humid, I do a lot of 'summery' things in our Winter.. Long bushwalks, really get into the heavier garden jobs, go swimming and lounge around outside with a good book or a podcast.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't do summer well. Never have. It drains me.
Staying as air conditioned as possible.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love sitting on the deck with my e-reader and a glass of iced tea or lemonade.
I love going out the door without worrying about jackets, or worse gloves and boots.
I love puttering in my garden
I love not having to turn on the lights until almost bedtime
I love having the windows open
I don't totally love mowing the lawn, but compared to shoveling the driveway, it'll always be my preference
The only thing I don't like about summer is spiders and earwigs.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love working in the yard and sitting on my deck with a cool drink. The cats enjoy sitting on their cat tree in front of an open window. I also love picking flowers to make a bouquet.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love nothing better than working in the garden for a few hours then sitting down with a cup of coffee and a good book. After an hour or so, back to the garden and repeat. I have just have a conservatory built so even if it rains I can still sit and read that's presuming my cats leave enough room on the sofa for me.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't particularly like heat and humidity is a killer for me but after six long months of winter I enjoy walking for miles unless there's an ozone alert, relaxing in the yard and visiting all our local farmer's markets. :)

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand the summer heat. Also I can't do a lot outside because of my arthritis. I mostly stay inside and watch TV or use the computer. Sometimes I will go to the movies or go visit my sister and play with her dogs. Since my cats are gone I get lonely for the friendship of pets and I love her Boston Terriers.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer is the time when we get a lot of health club benefits and exercise. In the summer, with all the humidity, we have a natural, free outdoor sauna. We sell it to the tourists as such and they go for it. We natives know enough not to stay out in it very long. Believe me, women here don't get dewey, they sweat like hard-run race horses. I'm pretty sure we're the deodorant buying capitol of the world. We get lots of exercise running from house to car, dancing and squirming on the hot seat, fanning ourselves furiously while the AC tries to cope, and then dashing from car to inside, back into the AC.

We don't have a pool, so I spend most of the time hiding in the house, urging the ancient AC to hang on one more season. One month we set the thermostat in our fairly large all-electric house to "very comfortably cool" . The electric company rewarded us for the business with a $850 bill. Since then, the thermostat has been set at "barely tolerable."

As much as I like to cook, use of the ovens is forbidden during the summer. Quick-fix is the menu of the season.

I catch up on a lot of reading and loom knitting (I make chemo caps for a major cancer center), fiddle on the computer, watch a little TV, and do a good bit of napping. I loved our old water bed because it was cool in summer and warm in winter.

The drip system tries to keep up with the thirsty plants, and Robert makes the world's fastest harvest runs. They're fast not only because he does't want to spend any time outside, but also because just about everything has shut down until we get a bit of cooler weather, usually about November.

Hot? We go to Hell's boiler room to cool off.

Summer here isn't for sissies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a "heat" person but I do enjoy my garden and watching the birds at the feeders. I love to swim but I don't get to very often. DH and I have talked about putting a pool in. :cloud9:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ We have had quite a dry hot 9 years - the real Endless Summer - so I am not a big fan of summertime. I have become accustomed to the AC . My cats like too !
:bigeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hot weather is something I don't enjoy at all, so most of my activity is indoors, for example reading. I do like early morning walks and hanging out on the balcony with Mogli in the evening.

My husband is an avid gardener, so he does all the yard work.
i agree! anything above mid-80's and it's too hot for me.

that sounds really nice, enjoying the balcony with your Mogli in the evenings!!! :catrub:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our summers are long, oppressively hot and humid. There is no opening of windows. I think the last time we opened windows was when the AC went out a year ago August. The AC must be on and we use it about 9 months out of the year if not more. I avoid the outdoors during the day whenever possible. Nighttime is still hot but more bearable. We don't have "summer" activities here because it's summer more often than it is not. the upside? NO. SNOW. EVER.