Question of the Day, Saturday, November 4

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I prefer standard time. It is closer to being aligned with real (as per sun positioning) time. And given the choice between light in the morning and light in the evening, I will choose light in the morning. It is much easier to convince myself that it is time to get up when the sun is rising than when it is full dark.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate it... I really do.. It makes for a very long dark winter. I wish we could just stay with one of the options. It really affects my SAD.. it makes me depressed, cold, sleepy; not feeling like doing much at all.
At least it reminds me to change the batteries. Tried to find some extra batteries at Target this afternoon-- nope, all sold out! Good thing I have a "stash"...

I thought I had read, that it was enacted sometime during either during or after WWII... forget the reason..

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was actually first started during WWI, was reinstated after WWII. It became widely used in the U.S in 1966 as a supposed energy savings strategy. I don't know that it ever saved energy, if it did I don't believe it does now. I grew up on a farm in Kansas, I was born in 1956, and it wasn't started for farmers. That myth has been around for a long time. I remember that my father and the other farmers around us hated it. Farmers don't wear watches because of the danger around machinery and Daylight Savings Time messed up knowing the time by the sun. It was of no help to them. There is the same number of hours of daylight regardless of what the clock says.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind it; I like Fall Back - get an extra hour of sleep lol

Now Spring Forward is more of an adjustment! Definitely feel it more there. That being said, it isn't the end of the world. Worst things out there to grumble about.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's annoying, wish they would leave it alone. But I think my new digital clock changes automatically. At least I hope it does!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm always pleased, we really don't need it in Australia (and half our states don't bother). End of summer is good for me! But we're only a month into DST at present.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate it. I'm such a creature of habit that my body does not recognize the new time. My sleep/wake cycle stays the same for months before finally (sort of) adjusting...and by then it's almost time to change the clocks again. For example, this morning, I forced myself to stay in bed but finally had to get up at around 6:45am. I usually get up out of bed by 7 on weekdays and weekends, so while I did technically "gain an hour" of sleep in the morning, it was restless. And tonight, when it comes to bed time, which is always 10...means I either go to bed at 9 to keep my hour of sleep because I'm up at 6 instead of 7...or I go to bed at 10 and loose the hour until I can finally adjust...which I have to do because 2 nights a week I work until 9 and don't even get home until 15-20 after or so...

I can't wait for time changes to end..."they" are supposedly "working on it", but have been talking about it for years so I'm not sure when it's finally going to happen.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My sleep/wake cycle stays the same for months before finally (sort of) adjusting.
You sound like me at least the change in the Spring. I slip right into this one but the one in the Spring is hard for me.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a fan of this time of year at all because it’s so dark all the time; especially as I’m a later riser due to chronic fatigue and exhaustion.