Question of the Day, Saturday, November 11

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

I completely forgot about today's QotD! Was scooping boxes and thought, "How many times a day do you scoop?" would be a good QotD. And then it hit me. Oh crap! I didn't post a question yet! So...

How many times a day do you scoop your furkids' litter box(es)? How many boxes do you have for your furkids?

We scoop once a day most of the time. If things look bad, we'll do it twice. Rick usually scoops Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I scoop Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday. That's the way it's supposed to work. But we pretty much do it when whoever's in the house. And that's mostly me lately. So I usually scoop the boxes, then put in all the trash from the computer room, kitchen, and bathroom. Tie the bag, put it out on the front stoop, and Rick will put it in the trash can when he walks down to the get the mail.

We have five boxes for the three girls; the litter bench in the kitchen, the covered box in the living room (that I'd love to change into a piece of furniture with a litter box inside), two uncovered boxes in the computer room, and a BoodaDome in the bedroom. And they all get used, the ones in the computer room more so than the others, we think, because they're uncovered.

However, that doesn't stop Muffin from pooping on the floor right next to the computer boxes, if Tabby has pooped or peed right in the front of both boxes. Muffin must be in the very front of the box for her pooping or she'll go on the floor. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. She likes to pee in the back of the box, but pooping must be done in the front. (At Mom's, Muffin was also known for pooping in the bathtub. We don't know why bc she was the only cat there.) I just shake my head, grab the paper towels and the bottle of Woolite Pet Sanitizer, and clean it up. Thankfully, she doesn't have diarrhea! Brat.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I scoop 2-3 times a day. If I do not, Geoffrey will tell me that he is not a 'happy' camper! I have a Litter Genie, which I wash down and empty once a week.
Geoffrey uses an extra large high sided litter box, because he is a big boy and a crazy litter kicker. The litter box and Litter Genie are both in the bathroom. I also have to Swiffer the bathroom floor and the entrance to the bathroom each time he uses the box. Such a deep, hard kicker!
Reminds me, Have to dump litter, wash out box, and Litter Genie today or tomorrow. Not fond of cleaning litter Box. Geoffrey also lets me know when it needs to be dumped and cleaned.
He is so funny/cute. He will come over to me, while I am on the pot, sniff the box, look at me, sniff the box again, and walk away. That is his way of telling me to either scoop or wash it out... silly cat...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually scoop once a day, sometimes I let it go two days. It isn't intentional but I will have gone to bed and think I hadn't done it, I don't want to get up for it so I let it go. I have two boxes for one cat. She is forgiving about the litter boxes, some cats aren't but she is.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually twice a day, though somedays it ends up being only once. I do have 2 litter boxes, but Ruby generally uses one most of the time, so it's more like having just one.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have 2 cats and 3 high sided open top boxes but they usually only use the 2 boxes in the basement living area. I scoop 2 to 3 times daily.

I had to modify the litter boxes a bit as the newest cat Binks starts out peeing when squatting but then stands up and streams urine horizontally.:( I had a couple old hooded tops that didn't fit the new boxes so we cut them apart to remove the tops, split them down the back and added vinyl shelf liner attached with small binder clips to corral the urine stream into the boxes. It's been working great, easy to wipe down during litter box cleaning.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once a day, one litterbox. I know we're supposed to have more, and we used to have two, but they both just used the one box so we downsized.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Typicall scoop them twice, morning and evening, but can be more or less.
I have 2 cats and 6 litter boxes. Kinda long story, but they use them all (not on the same day), so I don't feel like I should get rid of any of them.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Two litter ones for the two cats, one in Lola’s room that she uses exclusively and one in the basement that Willow uses and Lola uses occasionally . I scoop both boxes once a day. The first couple years after adopting Willow I tried to get her to use two boxes but it just didn’t work. She would choose a box and only use that one, so I finally just got rid of the second basement box.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I scoop whenever I know they've used it. I'm mostly home, it's a tiny unit, and they just use the one box. I've never had more than one litter box even when we had five cats - in those days it was a big baby bath, and they went outside during the day. With Daisy's megacolon, I keep track of her poos anyway, so listening for when someone's using it has become a habit. (Phoebe's just hopped in for a pee now, while I lie in bed with Daisy sitting on me!)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I scoop once a day on average. Sometimes I scoop extra if I’m doing laundry since they are in front of the washer and dryer. Or if Mooch is having tummy troubles and i want it extra clean. Sometimes it does go to a day and a half. She seems to do most of her business right after breakfast or overnight; so come evening when I normally scoop there isn’t always much there if I scooped while doing laundry.

I keep 2 boxes for one cat. I had 2 for 2 when Noodles was with us and I just never saw a need to go down to 1 since Mooch uses both.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 12 cats and 10 boxes.They're high sided sterlite totes without the lids (they hated them!),I use clay litter and scoop a few times a week,changing it all out,etc. every 2 weeks.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I scoop once a day. I have three cats and two oversized boxes...well, they're actually storage bins, but work great.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never have to scoop. I bought a used Scoop Free litter box. I'm lucky Chiquita took to it in just a few days. Once a month I dump the crystal litter and add new litter. I wish I'd gotten it years ago.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Two cats and two boxes. I had three boxes, but they never used the third so I put it away. I’m retired and around all of the time so I usually scoop as soon as they use it. Iris is 19 and doesn’t always make it all the way into the box before she cuts loose, so I also have pee pads in front of the boxes. I have a webcam in the litter box room that alerts me when they’re in there. Gotta keep an eye on the oldster!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1-2 times a day, and that includes cat boxes, and Livie's box.
If Sarah loudly scratches the side of the box and shoots out of it like a cannon ball, I know the box needs an "extra scoop".