Question of the Day Saturday Nov 30

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Today we try to answer one of the big questions...A question that plagues us.. that causes divisions in families, in friendships and could even have global repercussions. 

I think it is time that the good members of TCS sorted it out, once and for all:

Which way around do you hang your toilet roll?

And why?

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol, great question :D I don't have any particular way that I hang my toilet paper, if I think about it usually it is with the end under but there is no guarentee that it is always like that.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It never mattered before we got Mogli, but now the loose end hangs down the back of the roll, because it takes a little bit longer for him to unroll the whole thing. It doesn't discourage him, though. :lol3:

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The end has to go against the wall and not over the top. You don't pull as much off when it's against the wall. When my son in law first started going out with my daughter, he used to put it with the loose end over the top and fold the ends into a point, I soon "trained" him to put it the other way hahaha

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Whichever way it ends up when I put it on. Honestly, I don't care. But I know it's a really big issue with some people. 

I do smash the roll, though, so that we're not taking too much paper at one time. The grandchildren have a tendency to use a whole roll of paper every time.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ LOL

Ours hangs with the end hanging under for everyday use since Bretten can clean off a full roll in about 10 seconds if he sees it hanging over the top. l do hang them over the top when having guests, dunno why, l always thought they "should" be hung that way, neatly folded into a triangle 

l used to put the "next" roll out on the counter so the old one would get replaced when finished, but one of the cats LOVES TP rolls. l've found rolls almost everywhere in the house, chewed, bitten, and otherwise a mangled mess. When l  pull the end out, the TP looks like pretty doilies 
 that l should hang with the Christmas decorations.

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just impressed you all actually hang the roll! In my house, most of the time it sits on the cabinet next to the toilet. But don't worry, I hang it up if I'm expecting people - it's a special effort
 Doesn't matter which way it goes.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One bathroom's roller is so outdated it doesn't even fit the size of toilet paper rolls we use, the other is broken at the moment lol.  So, right now it doesn't matter which way.  The only way they roll is on the floor 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I used to hang it back to the wall, young visitors used less, 'girls' found it harder to make paper nests with it, and it just kind a happened that way.  Then I had the bathroom renovated and it got even narrower than it was (wouldn't have believed it possible).  For some reason it now feels really hard to get hold of the paper if the end's at the wall.  It's a pain because it does unroll more easily.  Thankfully my boy doesn'tplay with it and the young kids have grown up, but no doubt most of them will turn up with their mimi-me's at some point to pester my feline family.  Fingers crossed that isn't until I've had the bathroom re-done!  

Biggest pain these days is the holder's so close when you move past it the roll's always getting knocked off and ends up on the floor (or in the pan).  

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
End over the top. I think it's because I "unglue" the end before I put it in the holder. If I put it end against the wall it gets unrolled when I place it in the holder. Am I making any sense?  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't hung toilet paper in years! :lol3: Kitties like to shred it. But I prefer the end going over the top, unless there are small children around who like to unroll it, then you have to put it backward so they can't do it as easily. Not a big deal though.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't hung TP in some time either because of the cats. But when I hung TP, the end went over the top.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank god, my husband and I both prefer the unroll from the top method. We are both slightly OCD (or maybe anal retentive would be a better description) and I cannot imagine the battle of wills that would be pitched if we had opposing preferences! :nod:

Oh and the why part: I don't know why, it just has to be that way or it drives me crazy! And yes, I have changed the roll position at other people's houses :anon:

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually over the top. But nobody here really cares as long as the paper is there. It is when somebody forgets to put it there that causes us a problem.:lol3:

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over! Over! Over! The end goes over... and that's all there is to it!

As far as WHY... well, because that's the way it is! LOL... hmm. I would say it's because it rolls the toilet paper roll forward, which makes it seem like "clockwise," instead of backwards which makes it seem "counterclockwise." So it just "feels" right to have it over the top. :)

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At our house it was decreed by my Dad that the paper rolls over the top. When the other way, he kept smacking his knuckles against the wall during night time visits to the porcelain room.

I still do it out of habit.

wildhoneybee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
End over the top.  It just has to be that way!  In military training all the toilet roll in all the toilets had to be hung the same way...

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The end goes over the top. While I can see the practical reasons for it going the other, especially to stop kitties from playing with it, the end is made to go over the top. You can tell because if you put the end over the top with embossed/printed rolls, the backside of the embossing/printed work does not show.