Question of the Day, Saturday, April 22

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, dime stores are now dollar stores. That's inflation for you.

I miss the Subway a few blocks away. They are still in business, but the one near me closed and the nearest one is now across town.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I miss K-Mart. The stores kind of fell apart towards the end but in their prime, they were always busy. They were where I went as a young teen to grab some cheap make up and the latest issue of Bop magazine. Good times! The last one closed in 2018 and still stands empty today. We also had a Hill's Department store that I barely remember, except they had a lot of clothes at decent prices and the entire place smelled like popcorn because they'd give you a free bag every visit.
I also miss our mall, it used to be so busy (especially on weekends) but now there's barely anything in there. There were several malls in bigger cities we would visit a few times a year as a fun outing that have since been demolished. Sad.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agway. There were two, in opposite directions. Great places for fertilizer, garden tools, plants, pots. Lowe's garden department is not the same.

Linens 'n Things. So much better than Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Anyone remember Horn and Hardart Glass fronted cases with revolving shelves bringing a serving size portion around to the front, everything priced on multiples of a - I think it was a nickle but maybe it was quarters. Long, long gone.

A & P, the Atlantic and Pacific grocery chain.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live close to a Bed, Bath, and Beyond that had survived the store closures but I guess they will be closing soon.

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~ Sadly many independent "Mom & Pop" stores are gone where I live. I too miss Sears and JC Penny. Anyone remember Woolworths , JJ Newberrys ?
Nice memories.
I loved Woolworth's, there was one near my grammar school that I used to love to go into, that was of course many decades ago, the one that used to be in downtown Chicago was great, even had a basement you could shop in.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live close to a Bed, Bath, and Beyond that had survived the store closures but I guess they will be closing soon.
I discovered a few years ago that Bed, Bath, and Beyond is overpriced and the same items are available elsewhere, especially with the Internet, at lower prices.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, dime stores are now dollar stores. That's inflation for you.
$1.25 now! :bawling2:

There used to be a pet store called Safari Land Pets in Sioux Falls, and it was the coolest. It closed probably 10 years ago and I still miss it. There are other pet stores but none have as large of a selection of reptiles and fish as they did.