Question of the Day, Saturday, April 22

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend! :hellocomputer:

Is there a store that's no longer around in your area that you particularly miss?

With me, it's JCP. I used to buy most of my clothes there. We bought towels and such at JCP. I loved their tablecloths. I really liked the St. John's Bay brand as well as Worthington for my work clothes. There's no longer a JCP close to us and, while I do shop online there, it's not the same. We live in a rural area, so there are a lot of stores that have closed here, but I do miss JCP.

What store do you miss? Are there any?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There used to be a Kmart close to where I live. I thought they were the cheapest on laundry and cleaning supplies. I used to go two or three times a year. I would walk out of there with a cart full of those supplies. Checkout there was always slow but since it was only two or three times a year the money that I saved made it worth it.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved going to Frank's Nursery and Crafts as a kid. I always begged my mom to let me get a plant when we went there even though I nearly always killed them. I also liked Linens N Things even though I was just a kid. I'd probably enjoy it more as an adult.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So many...Sears, BiWay, Zellers, White Rose....I know there are a few more but that's all I can remember right now.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Sadly many independent "Mom & Pop" stores are gone where I live. I too miss Sears and JC Penny. Anyone remember Woolworths , JJ Newberrys ?
Nice memories.
My late mother-in-law worked at the lunch counter of JJ Newberrys until the local store was done in by 'urban renewal' in the early 70s. A lot of other stores were extinguished at the same time, never to return.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always liked the setup for Santa Claus at the malls for Christmas. Even after the kids were too old for Santa Claus, I enjoyed that. I would watch the little kids with Santa.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blockbuster! I know makes it sound dated, but I miss when going to get a movie was a special outing. Get snacks and drinks, have fun browsing around and/or grab that movie you always wanted to see. Often with friends or family, after school or after work, or during the weekend.

And ironically, despite the much easier access to all sorts of movies thanks to streaming, I have watched waaaay less movies than before. Just for whatever reason doesn't have that same ommph if that makes sense 🤷‍♀️ Plus not many movies have sparked my interest anyways lately. Maybe it's just me!

And a lot of shows have really up their game in production quality where they are like movies themselves albeit with more time devoted to things like the story with episodes and seasons.

Other stores that have closed around would include Sears, Laura Secord, Fabricland and Zellers.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I loved going to Frank's Nursery and Crafts as a kid. I always begged my mom to let me get a plant when we went there even though I nearly always killed them. I also liked Linens N Things even though I was just a kid. I'd probably enjoy it more as an adult.
We used to have both of those stores near us where I used to live. I miss Frank's especially.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss Sears. I brought all of my appliances, house hold stuff and clothes there. I also miss Woolworth's. Every week when I got my allowance my mother would take us there. I brought candy, baseball cards, etc.We would also eat lunch there. I always had a coke, fries or a grill cheese. I also miss G C Murphy's, Kreskies and Ben Franklin stores. I sure wish I had all of the baseball cards I brought back then.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AC Moore. They had such good stuff for school and gave homeschoolers the teachers discount. When DS was little and into trains they carried the Thomas the Tank Engine wooden trains and sometimes I'd score a good deal on another building or engine for him for Christmas or his birthday.