Question Of The Day. Saturday 12th Of August

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't eat Kit Kats when I was a kid; they hurt my teeth somehow. Now I'm kind of puzzled about how and why they hurt my teeth, I can't figure it out! Maybe the sweet crunchiness? No idea. I was a weird kid, like I said. But still, I remember it being painful to eat a Kit Kat so it was physical and not psychological. Strange.

My friends and I used to walk to a street with a bunch of what we called ten yen stores. OK, most things cost more than ten yen but people in the US still called some stores "five-and-dimes" even after that wasn't true anymore, lol. Anyway, they all had different stuff---some sold yakitori, some sold candy, some sold salty snacks, some sold little toys. We'd each have a few hundred yen to spend and get a few things. I don't think my mom was overly thrilled about me buying chicken on a stick from a little old lady selling from her front porch, but I never did get food poisoning so I guess it turned out OK :D.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i used to like Sixlets. But I really don't like candy. I still have a piece of Ghiradelli dark chocolate sitting in a cabinet from Valentines day that I haven't touched.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am more of a savoury person though than sweets and chocolate

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with @Winchester with my favorite candy as Peanut M&M's... love them.
Although, anything with chocolate is fine with me.. a really good piece of nice milk chocolate...yum..

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was a kid I loved Reeses peanut butter cups. Now? I HATE THEM. Hershey's changed their chocolate over the years and it's now cheap and waxy. :ohwell: My taste buds have also decided to reject the combination of peanut butter and chocolate in anything. I also loved cherry Jolly Ranchers. Still do. My go to candies now are Haribo gummy bears (love them), high quality European dark chocolate and good caramels with sea salt. The strange thing? I like the white Reeses- probably because white chocolate is really not chocolate. I admit to being an odd duck. :lol:

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid I loved Reeses peanut butter cups. Now? I HATE THEM. Hershey's changed their chocolate over the years and it's now cheap and waxy. :ohwell: My taste buds have also decided to reject the combination of peanut butter and chocolate in anything. I also loved cherry Jolly Ranchers. Still do. My go to candies now are Haribo gummy bears (love them), high quality European dark chocolate and good caramels with sea salt. The strange thing? I like the white Reeses- probably because white chocolate is really not chocolate. I admit to being an odd duck. :lol:
Reese's used to be my favorite too! The flavor was definitely different then from how it is now. I can practically taste the additives in it. But I'm also not really a fan of sweets anymore, so I probably wouldn't eat them if they tasted the same anyway.

I remember being super excited when the white chocolate Reese's came out. I went through a phase where I would only eat white chocolate. Now when I eat white chocolate, it tastes sickly sweet to me. :barfgreen:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a 90's kid? Lol.

Now I like dark chocolate with sea salt and those orange chocolates that show up around christmas that you smash and then it comes apart like an orange.
I was a kid from the 50's.

I love those orange chocolate things that come out around Christmas. I love the taste of orange and chocolate together.

Muffy

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Heath bars - crunchy toffee covered in milk chocolate. Haven't had one in decades because of the calories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, we were at Minnesota's Largest Candy Store! last week, and they had a huge selection of Japanese candy. My brother got a bunch (because he was born in Japan his formative years were a lot more Japanese than mine!). Green tea Kit Kats were one of his purchases, and some matcha flavored koala cookies. They didn't have the wasabi flavor Kit Kats, lol. I would have had to try that. I wanted some Black Black and Lotte blueberry gum but they didn't have those either :/. I got some umeboshi candy and some ramen snacks.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think my favorite was the Cadbury Creme Egg. i'm pretty sure they're still available. these days i don't eat much candy. i'll have a (free) lollypop from the bank on my way to do grocery shopping about every 3 or 4 months, but that's it for candy.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The freshly made stuff from the Jersey shore! It was almost as good as the fudge.
Oh I bet the fresh stuff was amazing...Some off the stuff you get in stores around here is kind of hard when you open it up.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Cobbers and sherbies.

I remember in the very early 1960s I would go to the sweet shop to get 3p worth of mixed lollies. Over what seemed like a very short period of time, I realised I just wasn't getting as many! I was most upset and told my mother, who smiled and said 'inflation'. It was my introduction into the world of high finance. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, by the 80's we were onto a 10p mix. I wonder what it is now?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There was a taffy candy called "Turkish Taffy." The best way to eat it was to get it cold and slam it against something hard (in the wrapper of course) and break it into pieces.