Question of the Day - Monday, October 27, 2019

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My first name (Patricia) and its derivatives are quite common in the US, but not so much in Germany. A lot of Germans who speak English and know I'm American use the English pronunciation, while others use the German one. Most use the full name, while others use Tricia, which I've always gone by. It can be pretty funny, because some people have told me they didn't realize people were referring to me when they heard somebody using an alternative pronunciation or nickname. I ask people not to use Pat or Patty, but otherwise they can say it however they want or can.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a common name and no one has ever misspelled it. My daughter has an old-fashion name that people constantly mispronounce or misspell. To be fair, it can be said at least three different ways. I actually wanted to use one of the other pronunciations, but I am glad we went with the one we did. There is one version of it that I hate. She is called that one the most often.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Common name, with standard spelling. Nothing fancy here! Same with my maiden name, very simple with simple spelling.
My married name is a whole different story. Not a single person can say it right the first time, even after I've just said it. And not a single person has ever been able to spell it.
I don't even say my married name anymore when people ask my name at various institutions where they are taking my name down. I say my first name then just start spelling my married name. People will then ask, how to say that? I'll tell them, and they just have a look of confusion on their face.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first name (Patricia) and its derivatives are quite common in the US, but not so much in Germany. A lot of Germans who speak English and know I'm American use the English pronunciation, while others use the German one. Most use the full name, while others use Tricia, which I've always gone by. It can be pretty funny, because some people have told me they didn't realize people were referring to me when they heard somebody using an alternative pronunciation or nickname. I ask people not to use Pat or Patty, but otherwise they can say it however they want or can.
Do they add a "z" sound to it? In high school I was friendly with (but not closely obviously) with an exchange student and her name was pronounced "Pat-ree-zia."
Pam. Simple, straight-forward. You can't mess it up.
I always said I was going to give my kids names like that. I did for DS; but not DD. Most people get her name right the first time; but not everyone. She and my cousin's SIL have the same name; but cousin's SIL spells it different and with an accent mark. That's all just asking for more trouble IMHO. :lol: DD's is spelled more phonetically. Actually I have another 3rd cousin whose name is spelled like my cousin's SIL and her name isn't pronounced like theirs. :rolleyes: Oh well. At least I only resigned one of my children to never finding their name on a souvenir. :lol:
Common name, with standard spelling. Nothing fancy here! Same with my maiden name, very simple with simple spelling.
My married name is a whole different story. Not a single person can say it right the first time, even after I've just said it. And not a single person has ever been able to spell it.
I don't even say my married name anymore when people ask my name at various institutions where they are taking my name down. I say my first name then just start spelling my married name. People will then ask, how to say that? I'll tell them, and they just have a look of confusion on their face.
I try when I come across a name like that. I know it does get old constantly having your name messed up so I hope they appreciate the effort at least! Growing up around a somewhat ethnically diverse group of people helps. But my late step-grandmother was never able to even pronounce my name or my mother's correctly. Her English was good fine; but stayed heavily accented and she preferred to speak in Spanish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a vanity license plate with my first name. When people ask why, I tell them it's because I could never find any souvenirs with the right spelling on them when I was a kid ;).
That was soooo disappointing to me as a kid! I always checked just in case! :bawling: At least now we can get custom stuff a lot easier! :lol2:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first name is common and still people mispronounce it . My last name is also common. However, almost everyone changes one or two letters to come up with an entirely different name. The most common of those is a deadly disease. I also make sure that I spell it with emphasis on the commonly changed letter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My first name is a meme now. :dunno: My maiden and married last names always get messed up.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is Alice; so it's fairly common and I haven't had many mishaps apart from the occasional Alys spelling. People get my surname confused much more often since it's from northern England and I live in the south east, so it's less common round here and I always have to give people spelling prompts when I need it to be written down.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my first and last names are uncommon, and people have been butchering them for as long as I can remember.