Question of the Day - Monday, October 27, 2019

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry this is so late. I’ve been typing this out between things all day! I should have just waited till I got home! Where I am finally posting from...

A while back DH commented that whenever he calls places to order or schedule things they get his name wrong. They end up having to figure out what was his based on what he ordered. Its happened all over the place. His name is way too common for that to make sense to me. He wouldn’t even agree to name DS after himself because of how common his name is.

Saturday night I called a local pizza place to order dinner. We don’t order there too often so it’s not like they know us. I gave them his name because he was going in to pick it up while I stayed in the car. He walked back out and plopped the food in my lap with the same wrong name he always gets! So apparently it’s not just him?! :crazy::dunno: We don’t get offended but it’s amusing. I’ve started calling him by that name now.;)

Do you have a common name? Do people mess up your name? (I know not everyone likes to use their real name online; so feel free to be vague.)

My name is not that unusual but the spelling is not the most common for it. But people mess it up. Some family still doesn’t even spell it right.

When I was in school teachers and substitute teachers always flipped my names around. I know of at least two celebrities with my name. Its not that unusual. Clients used to mess it up too.
One night we had a waitress serve us and she even spelled it the same as I do. I wanted to ask if people mess it up on her too.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an uncommon name.

My name is Shoshannah (pronounced SHOW-SHAW-NAH).

It's a Hebrew name meaning "Rose".

People never pronounce it that way and often mess it up. I've learned to live with that.

I feel like I'm a nobody and always will be so I don't mind using my real name online anymore. I don't have social media so even if someone were to google me, they wouldn't find anything.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My official first name is usually right, however Lari is often spelled wrong or mispronounced, and my last name is wrong more often than right despite the fact that it's pretty phonetically spelled.

Nevertheless, I'm keeping it. It's mine and I'm attached to it.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is Laura. It seems to me that the default for my name is Lauren. Very few people read my name correctly on the first try.

Edited to add: My good friends from high school/college called me by my last name. I even had a professor that called me by my last name, still does, even though I've married since!

One of my friend's dad called me Laurie. I've known him for years and I'm not entirely sure he knows my name is actually Laura, lol!

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is pretty common but my mom’s not. First name is Cosima, pronounced Kah-SEE-mah and people murder it a dozen different ways. We used to get mail to Mr. Cosmo and variations of that all the time.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is fairly mainstream but not spelled in the most common way. It's nothing crazy though. Almost nobody spells it right. They might remember what it started with but get a different letter wrong, or they might remember it's spelled in an unusual way and just make something up, or whatever.

One co-worker would spell my name wrong while I was right in front of him wearing a nametag! Another co-worker who works in another office will send me an email with my name spelled wrong, even though my email address is my name! I feel like you really should get it right when you're looking right at it, lol.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is common, but I wouldn't say popular. I was the only Alyssa in my high school class of over 500 despite my name being fairly popular in the 80s (when I was born). It wasn't until college that I met more Alyssas though. I get it mispronounced a lot too. I get Alicia and Alisa (uh-lee-suh) most frequently. When I worked at a grocery store and I answered the phones MANY people thought I was saying Lois when I gave my name. I also have to say "My name is Alyssa" when I introduce myself instead of "I'm Alyssa" because people only hear "I'm Melissa."

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My name is more uncommon than common and, yes, people spell it wrong frequently. They even write it wrong after I spell it for them. :rolleyes2:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is Laura. It seems to me that the default for my name is Lauren. Very few people read my name correctly on the first try.

Edited to add: My good friends from high school/college called me by my last name. I even had a professor that called me by my last name, still does, even though I've married since!

One of my friend's dad called me Laurie. I've known him for years and I'm not entirely sure he knows my name is actually Laura, lol!
Okay, that's funny, especially since you commented right after me, because my birth name is also Laura, and while I started going by Lari in high school, I don't remember anyone confusing it for Lauren as a child or on official documents. I guess even same names can have different experiences!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, that's funny, especially since you commented right after me, because my birth name is also Laura, and while I started going by Lari in high school, I don't remember anyone confusing it for Lauren as a child or on official documents. I guess even same names can have different experiences!
It's more like, "Oh, hey Lauren! *two second pause* Oh, I mean LAURA, duh!" I don't think Laura is that unusual of a name but I seem to run into it wherever I go. Maybe it's because Lauren is a big name around here?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first name is pretty common, I guess. The only issue I've had has been with people combining my first and middle names, since together they form another common name.
My Dad's side of my family did that to DD for at least 2 years before they realized that they were calling her by her first and middle name all the time. I just thought they liked saying it all. But I only ever called her by her first name so I'm still a little confused how that happened. :dunno: Her names don't go together like that. :dunno:
My name is common, but I wouldn't say popular. I was the only Alyssa in my high school class of over 500 despite my name being fairly popular in the 80s (when I was born). It wasn't until college that I met more Alyssas though. I get it mispronounced a lot too. I get Alicia and Alisa (uh-lee-suh) most frequently. When I worked at a grocery store and I answered the phones MANY people thought I was saying Lois when I gave my name. I also have to say "My name is Alyssa" when I introduce myself instead of "I'm Alyssa" because people only hear "I'm Melissa."
My high school best friend is Alysa but most people just called her Ally. It doesn't get mispronounced nearly as much. :agree:
My name is more uncommon than common and, yes, people spell it wrong frequently. They even write it wrong after I spell it for them. :rolleyes2:
:lol2: I usually just go ahead and start spelling my name before people have a chance to write it wrong. :rolleyes:
Isn't that weird? My hubby's name is Duke. He's been called Buck more times than I can remember. :dunno:
i've always thought a simple, but unique name wouldn't get messed up much but apparently I'm wrong. Maybe it just proves how well people are really listening. :dunno:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first name is fairly common, but it has more than one spelling, and most people spell it differently than I do. That's okay. I just go with the flow. :)

However, my last name is very unusual and distinctive, and even though there was an attempt to Americanize it a while back and spell it like it's pronounced, very few people get it right. I still think the funniest was when someone thought it was "Joe's Barbecue." Not even close! :lol:

arethas mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first name is VIkki. Pretty common name, just spelled different. When someone spells it incorrectly at my work (e-mails), I always reply back with their first name misspelled too. I figured if they are too stupid to pay attention to my big freakin name in my signature, well too bad!!

Here’s your sign!!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My first name ends in ‘i,’ but people often will add an ‘e.’ One of my staff members, whose name was Dave, kept sending me emails with my name misspelled with an ‘ie,’ so I started replying with ‘Dear Dav.” I told him that he obviously had given the ‘e’ at the end of his name to me. He stopped misspelling it. :)

(And who, with any sense of self preservation, consistently spells his boss’s name incorrectly?? Fortunately for him, I liked Dav. He was a good guy and a good colleague.)