Question of the Day - Monday, November 4, 2019

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Heavens, but I do love bread! Most of the time I make my own bread. I have sourdough starter in the fridge and, when I feed my starter, I'll make sourdough bread. There is nothing better on this earth than a thick slice of sourdough freshly buttered. I also use my starter to make sourdough English muffins. Yum! With lots of cinnamon and raisins, they're good stuff.

I make a Fondue Bread, which is decadent with spaghetti or lasagna. It's made with grated muenster cheese mixed with two egg yolks.. You roll the dough out, spread the cheese and egg mixture on top of the dough, then roll it up and seal it very well. Bend it around and place into a greased 9-inch cake pan. When you take it out of the oven, it does need to cool a wee bit or the cheese will ooze out when you slice the bread. It is just wonderful stuff. The first time I made it for Rick's parents, his mom actually rolled her eyes! She looked at me and said, "You could sell this bread!" It is a winner and I make it often. (I buy the cheese in a block and then shred it right before I use it, so it's nice and fresh.)

I also made a braided onion bread that is simply delicious. I love baking bread. I love everything about baking bread.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Heavens, but I do love bread! Most of the time I make my own bread. I have sourdough starter in the fridge and, when I feed my starter, I'll make sourdough bread. There is nothing better on this earth than a thick slice of sourdough freshly buttered. I also use my starter to make sourdough English muffins. Yum! With lots of cinnamon and raisins, they're good stuff.

I make a Fondue Bread, which is decadent with spaghetti or lasagna. It's made with grated muenster cheese mixed with two egg yolks.. You roll the dough out, spread the cheese and egg mixture on top of the dough, then roll it up and seal it very well. Bend it around and place into a greased 9-inch cake pan. When you take it out of the oven, it does need to cool a wee bit or the cheese will ooze out when you slice the bread. It is just wonderful stuff. The first time I made it for Rick's parents, his mom actually rolled her eyes! She looked at me and said, "You could sell this bread!" It is a winner and I make it often. (I buy the cheese in a block and then shred it right before I use it, so it's nice and fresh.)

I also made a braided onion bread that is simply delicious. I love baking bread. I love everything about baking bread.
You should make it and sell it. People will pay for amazing bread!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No seriously, I need to come to your house.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't eat packaged bread much at all anymore. It just tastes like cardboard.
I don't buy packaged bread from the supermarket anymore either. They just taste blah. I buy fresh store-made loaves from the independent grocery store. You can see the bakers making bread and all the pastries and cookies and stuff from scratch.

How much does a loaf of bread from the bakery cost? Are they big slices or small?
Depends on the type of bread, your location, what the bakery wants to charge, etc. I buy a typical sized loaf for about $4 (I think). The store will cut loaves for free, about 1/2 inch slices, except for sugary ones like cinnamon bread because the sugar and stuff gums up the slicer. I'm not sure if you can specify thickness like you can with deli meat. It's not hard to cut bread yourself at home to whatever thickness you want. You definitely need a serrated bread knife. A butter knife or steak knife or whatever else you may have will just squish the bread and not cut through.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My MIL makes a really tasty brown bread.

I have made my own bread at home before and it is good! I also use the dough for pizza crust and calzones. I justs don't have the time to do it that often. It's been years actually!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A good Italian bread. There is a chain here, Kowalski’s that carries a bakery bread called “Bella” bread. Not only is this dense crusty bread delicious but it freezes great. This allows you to shop a few weeks before holidays, pull it out of the freezer and bake to thaw it the day of. It ends up perfectly moist and crunchy as if you had bought it that morning.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since leaving France 9 years ago I miss French bread. In fact I have since stopped eating bread except for toast slices.
British baguettes really aren't the same as French ones if you've spent a lot of time in France - I've never lived there, but my mother used to live in Paris so we visit France almost every other year and the bread just doesn't compare with the bread here in England!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite is an artisan bread like a baguette that is real crusty on the outside. When I was stationed in Germany a staple for breakfast was something called brotchen. They were rolls with the crusty exterior and tender on the inside. I loved those with butter.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a bakery in Columbus Ohio, actually Grandview Heights, called The French Loaf. They have amazing bread,
cakes, tarts, pastries, etc. If you're down that way check it out.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I made bread once. Well, it was a classroom project. The teacher brought in the ingredients and let us measure it all out and mix the dough together. It was Anadama bread.There's a story about the bread the teacher told us but I don't recall it other than the end where the a guy got irked at a woman about the bread she had made for him and he said "Anna, damn her!". No idea if the story is true or not.

Does anyone else love the King's Hawaiian rolls? Yum.
Those are good:yummy: Kind of like a sweet brioche.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cornbread had been cooked in cast iron so the edges were a bit crispy. It was out of this world good! :cloud9:
That is the only way to make it! I put my pan in the oven first while I am making the cornbread batter to heat up. Our local grocer used to carry sunflower bread but stopped. It was my favorite. I developed a recipe so I could make it at home but lost it several years ago. Haven't bothered trying again since we both aren't really supposed to have much bread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is the only way to make it! I put my pan in the oven first while I am making the cornbread batter to heat up. Our local grocer used to carry sunflower bread but stopped. It was my favorite. I developed a recipe so I could make it at home but lost it several years ago. Haven't bothered trying again since we both aren't really supposed to have much bread.
This is the only reason I've considered buying a cast iron pan. :paperbag:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get to Wegmans very often but I went there yesterday and brought a loaf of sunflower seed bread. I have not tried it yet but it looks delicious.