Question of the Day - Monday, November 4, 2019

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only 2 months left of 2019!! 😳

Lets talk about ....bread! In spite of all people eating gluten free today; bread still seems to be something lots of people get excited about. I follow a bakery from my hometown and it seems like a few times a month they post that they are closing early because they are completely sold out of everything. They sell other things; but bread is their main focus. :yummy:

What is your favorite bread? :yummy:

Sourdough is definitely my favorite. Especially with soup. But I love a good, crusty Italian bread. Some things are just better on Rye bread too. And then there are the flat breads my favorite Greek restaurant sells. I prefer that with their Tzatziki sauce though. :yummy: I love a good cornbread too. But I like it on the sweet side. DH and I went to a "farmhouse" restaurant once on vacation.The cornbread had been cooked in cast iron so the edges were a bit crispy. It was out of this world good! :cloud9:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohh I miss good bread so much! Since I moved to US a year ago I had a good bread maybe twice.. I'm sorry Americans, you're good at many things, but very bad at bread making. I miss French baguettes so much, even these from the baguettes vending machines in french villages are better than the best fancy ones I found here. But mostly I miss the true rye sourdough bread, those that are supposedly sourdough here taste so fake to me, even mega expensive ones from Wholefoods. This is how whole rye sourdough bread should look like (with grains):
95828.jpg
403406.jpeg

One solution would be to bake the bread myself, but I've never done it so I would need to learn from scratch, but if I won't find any bread that I love around here, I'll feel motivated enough to try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry Americans, you're good at many things, but very bad at bread making.
I won't disagree. The best bakeries in my hometown were started by people who came to the area with their recipes from their old countries. A lot of them have closed now because the younger generations haven't wanted to keep the work up. :sigh: There have been times I bought something that claimed to be sourdough and it sure wasn't. :headshake:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite is homemade bread made in the bread machine because it's bigger and works better for sandwiches. At the store, I try to find the biggest bread I can, but it seems so small lately. I like Arnold brand and I like Aldi's store brand.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like peasant bread. The whole grain seedy sort of bread that goes against the refined upper crust. I just like the texture more. I loathe beyond measure any sourdough bread or white bread. My husband loves to use sourdough and he buys semi-sour stuff that I still think it ick. But I'm good with dense German style heavy bread.

I don't eat a lot of bread actually but when I do I am selective.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I love bread.

My favourite would involve at least three cups of wheat berries that were freshly ground the day I baked it. The houseplants have invaded the table where my grinder is, so I'm usually in too big of a hurry to move them and put them back, but I really like the coarser texture that the grinder gives it as well as the extra freshness.

I don't use any additional white flour or gluten flour because I don't particularly care for the texture, but others do so I will make "fluffy bread" for them as an act of love.

I don't have any sourdough starter going right now and it's been way too long since I've geeked out and added some dried tomatoes and rosemary or raisins and cinnamon.

It's less trouble to make it than it is to crate the dogs, secure the kitten, put in contact lenses, make sure I don't have bedhead, spinach between my teeth, or stains on my clothes. and stand in line at the store. I don't even know what the good brands are any more.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love bread! Do not understand why anyone would purposely not eat it unless you truly had a gluten allergy. Everything, in moderation!
I'm a big fan of sourdough also. And rye bread with caraway seeds (MUST HAVE THE SEEDS).
I love flat breads - naan particularly, with hot butter on it.
But I am picky about quality. I don't eat packaged bread much at all anymore. It just tastes like cardboard.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love a good jewish rye or pumpernickel...finding that in SW MO...welllllll.....not real crazy about sourdough.I make my own here at home,every week,and my favorite is oatmeal.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much does a loaf of bread from the bakery cost? Are they big slices or small?