Question of the Day - Monday, May 24, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's actually a chilly first day of summer break for us here. I'm not complaining though. Today I got to sleep in a little while my kids watched a cartoon with breakfast. It's wonderful! :lol2: I've got a long to-do list but I'm also thinking about summer reading for us all. My kid's taste in books has been changing some. Our library is open so I want to get back to spending more time there. At least long enough to find some things to check out.

What is your favorite genera to read? Do you enjoy newspapers or magazines? Trade journals?

I stick to clean romance mostly myself. Occasionally I'll go for something more mystery/suspense like but it just depends on my mood. Reading is how I relax and I tend to get sucked into stories. I don't want to be dreaming about a political thriller; so I keep it light. ;) I do love a good home design magazine too. They can be expensive though. I can't think of the last time I read a whole newspaper. I will look online at local news articles and things. My grandpa read the paper every morning; but I guess the internet has taken it's place.

My DD is getting into mysteries lately. So that's fun. She's finished one suspense series too. I recently found her a book about a girl who finds out she has superhero powers but doesn't know how to use them. She said it's hilarious. :lol2: DS likes non-fiction books but he's starting to read more fiction. Graphic novels are a hit too. He will re-read a lot of the Highlights magazines we kept from our subscription too. He definitley prefers some humor to his fiction. I would like to get them more kids magazines but I haven't committed to one yet. I think we can browse some with the kindles and prime too.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy contemporary women’s fiction and occasionally some non fiction. As far as magazines I read them online through my library - everything from home & garden type to more literary magazines and everything in between.

What I never read - murder mysteries, graphic horror novels, science fiction, historical romance, or stories spread over decades.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In books, my favorite field is history or historical figures. I gave up on newspapers several years ago after subscribing to two of them for many years previously. I read several magazines, from how-to to contemporary railroading to model railroading. I used to like the classic science fiction, but the more modern stuff is a real turn-off.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a lot of different genres. I'd say I consistently read more contemporary romance, fiction about mental illness or similar topics, thrillers, basically anything that seems interesting to me. I also enjoy medical history, memoirs, a lot of other stuff.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is difficult to narrow down for me, especially if we break it down into subgenres, so I will just pick seven. Just remember, books/short stories/poems can be more than one genre.
Victorian Gothic (Jane Eyre, Dracula, Wuthering Heights, etc...)
Dark Romanticism (The Scarlet Letter, Moby Dick, Young Goodman Brown, etc...)
Bildungsroman (Great Expectations, Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc..)
Speculative Fiction (Lord of the Rings, The Time Traveler's Wife, Handmaid's Tale, etc..)
Magical Realism (Like Water for Chocolate, Chocolat, Orlando, etc...)
Literary Theory and Criticism/Philosophy—(Laugh of the Medusa, Moral Prejudices, Phenomenology of Spirit, etc...)
Folklore/Fairy Tale/Modern Dairy Tales/Mythology—and their analysis! (The Bear and the Nightingale, Stardust, House of Names, etc..)

I do tend to read more books written prior to the Modernist Period.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
and CATS lol
Have you read any cat series? I read a mystery series but i can’t remember if it was considered religious/Christian. The main cats were a Savanna and Ragdoll if i remember right. I know I still have them but it’s been a while!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used to read non-fiction and biographies but since the pandemic I started reading fiction and was surprised how much I enjoy it. We only get the newspaper on Sunday and I do like reading it but only certain sections. Before kindles and tablets I had several magazine subscriptions. I never did get an e-reader but stopped the subscriptions because I found there were too many ads and not enough substance.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a time I used to love to read. I remember reading the Reader's Digest when I was around 6 years old. As I got older I began to appreciate biographies of famous and infamous people. Then there is also Romance. I also love Spy Fiction thrillers like the Bourne Series by Robert Ludlum.

These past few years I stopped reading due to my poor vision. Even with glasses or contact lenses I do not feel comfortable anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
psychological thrillers
I will read a variety of genres but psychological thrillers are my favourite.
Do either of you dream about what you read? I think that's really what puts me off those books. I like my sleep!!

I was reading a series recently where in the book there are a series of books something like Lord of the Rings or the Chronicles of Narnia. I found myself dreaming about a FICTIONAL fiction series. :flail:
There was a time I used to love to read. I remember reading the Reader's Digest when I was around 6 years old. As I got older I began to appreciate biographies of famous and infamous people. Then there is also Romance. I also love Spy Fiction thrillers like the Bourne Series by Robert Ludlum.

These past few years I stopped reading due to my poor vision. Even with glasses or contact lenses I do not feel comfortable anymore.
I always used to browse through the Readers Digest's at my Grandma's house. For a while I had a subscription myself but I cancelled when I just got too busy to keep up with my magazines. I loved all the little jokes and tidbits at the ends of articles.

Have you tried audio-books? DH's grandmother had pretty severe macular degeneration when she lived with MIL. I think she was legally blind but possibly not because she could see to the side fairly well. There was a local agency that offered services for the blind that supplied her with audio books and she really came to enjoy them. Audible and things weren't available yet. MIL loaned me an audio book from somewhere else once. It was a romantic suspense novel and it REALLY made ironing DH's uniforms so much more enjoyable. :lol2: I've been putting my earbuds in to listen to talks while I do yard work and that's nice too.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried audio-books? DH's grandmother had pretty severe macular degeneration when she lived with MIL. I think she was legally blind but possibly not because she could see to the side fairly well. There was a local agency that offered services for the blind that supplied her with audio books and she really came to enjoy them. Audible and things weren't available yet. MIL loaned me an audio book from somewhere else once. It was a romantic suspense novel and it REALLY made ironing DH's uniforms so much more enjoyable. :lol2: I've been putting my earbuds in to listen to talks while I do yard work and that's nice too.
I guess that would be my option, although I'd prefer reading and smelling the pages of books ( I am weird, LOL). I had planned for a lasic surgery for years but keep holding it off due to finances. My priorities are the education of my kids, and house payments.

So there. :)