Question of the Day - Monday, March 2, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's almost spring!! And today it feels like it. :bliss: I even saw two trees in bloom yesterday!

DH and I had most of the weekend to ourselves so we went out to eat and furniture shopping. I have been wanting to try new places so I was using Google maps for places and looking at reviews and menus. One new Italian place just opened up last month but it's a bit higher end than I was wanting to dress for. Someone gave them a bad review on Google before they even opened just based on the menu and their opinion that it's 'too froo froo for our area" and they claim it will be a failure. :think: :doh: That's not how reviews are supposed to work people. :whistle::dunno: I think DH and I may try it out for our anniversary. We just need to dress a little nicer than usual. ;)

When you eat out; do you stick to places you know or try new places?

When we eat with our kids we often go to places we know unless I can read reviews and menus ahead of time. DD will eat anything and love it. DS isn't TOO picky; but still some places are just more kid friendly than others. At the same time; it's fun to try new places and things with them to see what they think. I like trying new foods and my mother has always been the one to find great new places. So I guess she rubbed off on me. I think as my kids are getting a little older; it's getting easier to try new places with them. No one is young enough to be disruptive in a restaurant anymore. Not that I ever tolerated bad behavior; but kids are still kids and they make mistakes when they are learning. ;)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
When you eat out; do you stick to places you know or try new places?
Both. It really depends on our mood. Some days we prefer going to a familiar place, especially if we are tired or there's been a lot going on, etc. We also like trying out new places. We normally give it a little time before we try it so they can work out the kinks. Some of the "new" places have become old favorites.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to try new places, but I get nervous at not knowing what the atmosphere is like. I don't want to go into the Ethiopian restaurant and find out that only Ethiopians eat there and nothing is even in English, ya know? So I rarely get brave enough to try something truly new, unless I've read a bunch of reviews. And if my niece and nephew are with me, I have to go somewhere they like.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do not eat out often, but we typically stay with places we know or recommended by people who know us well enough to determine if we would like the food and atmosphere. For example, we like a particular sushi place in the next town over. Our son goes there often with his fiancee, his former boss (a chef), and a couple of his friends. He went at different times before recommending it to us because he wanted to let us know when they were the least busy.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Husband never ate out growing up, so we go out a lot now!

I would LOVE to try new places, but unfortunately our area only has chain restaurants. Family owned places are few and far between, although there is one that is (hopefully) opening by the end of summer that I am seriously looking forward to! It's a nice little brunch place. Mmmm.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Both, it's intriguing to try new places and comfortable to stick with old favorites. We watch Check Please on PBS where they recommend local restaurants in and around the city. We've tried some of the ones that peek our interest and most, but not all, have been good.

I don't want to go into the Ethiopian restaurant and find out that only Ethiopians eat there and nothing is even in English, ya know?
I love Ethiopian food and all the restaurants I have been to in our area have menus in English. If we are unsure about a dish we will ask and the wait staff has been more than willing to explain. I think you should give it a go and I bet you will enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, haha, I was just using that as an example. I have been to one and it's very good. I just mean that kind of insular restaurant in general. The little diner where only locals go and everybody else is ignored, etc. Have you ever walked into a restaurant and it's like in a movie; all the conversation stops and everyone stares at you? That kind of place. I've accidentally wandered into those before and it's just so awkward.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have favorite places and regular meals I have at those places. But I am always on the lookout for a new place that is good. Favorite restaurants close or get new ownership and things change. The best restaurant I know keeps discontinuing my favorite dishes! Goodbye, Shrimp con piña. Goodbye, Chicken Escabeche. :bawling2:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
DH prefers to stick to familiar restaurants and fare, while I like to try new places and dishes. I talked him into going to a new Greek restaurant in town for lunch two weeks ago, and it turned out to be excellent and very reasonably priced, with a relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere. When the waiter realized our niece didn't speak German, he made a real effort to speak English with her, too.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't eat out unless it's a special occasion, Birthday, Anniversary so I tend to stick with what I know. But when I'm on holiday it's the complete opposite we look for where the locals are eating get a drink and check out what the food looks like we've had some delicious food in surprising locations.