Question of the Day - Monday, March 18, 2024

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for the delay; today got away from me. I fell asleep early this evening and now I’m awake hoping to sleep tonight. Oops!

What is your ideal climate and landscape?

DH and I both have childhood ties to the mountains. I think a mountain lake home would be close to heaven on earth! But he likes his mountains much steeper!

I do like having distinct seasons; but I could absolutely skip snow. My bestie was happy as could be the year she lived in San Antonio. And her job didn’t have air conditioning. I would have been beyond miserable! :sweat: 🥵 Another friend of ours is loving Arizona. That aint it for me either. :lol2:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 10C, with lots of dark clouds and storms (rain, snow, wind).
I hate sunshine and glare.

Lots of deciduous trees.

Water nearby.
Sounds like you would feel right at home in Sitka, Alaska. As that place has much of that gloomy weather.

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. I'd like those places that are dark for six months, but I wouldn't want light for six months in exchange.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. I'd like those places that are dark for six months, but I wouldn't want light for six months in exchange.
I lived in Sitka about 1.5 yrs. In the Summer the Sun set at 11pm and rose at 5am. In the winter sunset was about 4pm with sunrise about 9am. Families with small children put foil in the windows in the summer so the children could fall asleep. For me it was depressing in the winter there me being from Iowa. I was Stationed there with the U.S. Coast Guard.

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Winter sounds great. I'd need foil in the windows too for summer. It's not that I'm a depressive or anything, but I get really sick from daylight of any sort. I should have been a bat.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winter sounds great. I'd need foil in the windows too for summer. It's not that I'm a depressive or anything, but I get really sick from daylight of any sort. I should have been a bat.
Perhaps you could split your time between Barrow, Alaska in the Summer. And Sitka, Alaska in the Winter.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you could split your time between Barrow, Alaska in the Summer. And Sitka, Alaska in the Winter.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Temperate, enough to have distinct seasons, and with lots of deciduous trees that get vivid autumn colours. We really don't have that in Australia, apart from isolated spots that have had a lot of introduced trees that turn that way (like the city of Bright in Victoria). I'd love to live among the sort of autumn colours places like Vermont are famous for. Don't know if I would deal with the intensity of cold in places that get snow, though!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Temperate, enough to have distinct seasons, and with lots of deciduous trees that get vivid autumn colours. We really don't have that in Australia, apart from isolated spots that have had a lot of introduced trees that turn that way (like the city of Bright in Victoria). I'd love to live among the sort of autumn colours places like Vermont are famous for. Don't know if I would deal with the intensity of cold in places that get snow, though!
I have viewed many movies who's stories centered in Vermont. While it appears as a beautiful lush place full of deciduous trees. I as well agree that it is likely too cold there for me as well.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An uncle had a lakefront cabin in the Adirondacks, surrounded by trees, and while it was nice enough to stay for a week or so, I wouldn't want to live there, as tourism aside, there were no jobs for the locals once the mines and mills closed in the late 70s. The practical me doesn't mind the change of seasons; even the winters have their purpose. Growing up on a small dairy farm, winter was the quiet time where you did any necessary repairs on the equipment to prepare for spring planting. Also, the cold kills off the bugs that would overrun you otherwise. So, give me slightly rolling fields and woods, with no nearby neighbors, and all four seasons, and I'd be content.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd love to live among the sort of autumn colours places like Vermont are famous for. Don't know if I would deal with the intensity of cold in places that get snow, though!
There is nothing like autumn in New England and the Adirondacks. :cloud9: Especially when it looks like nature laid a quilt over the landscape. :loveeyes: But the snow comes too early and stays too late. That’s why they have their snowbird population. :crazy:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is nothing like autumn in New England and the Adirondacks. :cloud9: Especially when it looks like nature laid a quilt over the landscape. :loveeyes: But the snow comes too early and stays too late. That’s why they have their snowbird population. :crazy:
I live near the Adirondacks. It's pretty in Autumn I suppose, but way too cold here. It's basically winter most of the year, then July & August it's hot. But nights get cold the end of August.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mountains or hills, plenty of water and greenery, rain and snow are both great but sunshine too. Lows down to -20 and highs only as high as the 80s.