Question of the Day - Monday, June 15, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm trying to be really productive today so I keep getting distracted from starting a thread. DH had last week off but we stayed home for the most part. I never feel like I get much done when he is home. He on the other hand tried to clean out the garage, attic and our closet all at once. It stressed me out!! His method of cleaning is to throw away everything and say we can buy it again later if we need it. I can't do that. I need to focus on one thing at a time and not be distracted.

What is your cleaning style?

I keep somewhat of a routine. I like doing laundry on Mondays and Tuesdays. Vacuuming is a Friday chore unless it needs doing sooner. Bathrooms are usually on Friday too. Other things are more flexible. I run the dishwasher every 4th meal usually. Clutter is what trips me up. Also accounting for the time kid and pet care takes. They always throw a wrench in my plans. It's getting a little better as my kids get older and can do more for themselves and help better.

One of my jobs this week is going through our school stuff so I can sell what we won't need again. I just need to get through some kitchen and table clutter before I can do that. But first; the garden needs weeding and it's gorgeous out; only in the low 70s most of the week! :yess: I'm going to take advantage!!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t have specific cleaning days but I do have routines. I wash any dishes and start the dishwasher before bedtime and then put things away In the morning while my coffee is brewing. When I used a corded vacuum I only vacuumed once a week or so but with the cordless, I pretty much vacuum every other afternoon. The bigger things like washing floors, doing laundry or cleaning bathrooms get done when they seem to need it. Everything else stays relatively tidy all the time.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since it is usually just me I wash dishes once a day late afternoon or early evening. I also spray down the counters and stove top with a disinfecting cleaner, let it sit a few minutes then wipe them down after doing the dishes. I mop floors, deep clean the bathroom, dust and vacuum over the weekend. I don't have a specific day or order that I do them in everything just gets done over the weekend.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do the dishes after lunch, right before my walk. Then I do them again after dinner. It takes about an hour each time.
For the rest of the cleaning, everybody knows my story. My mother won't let me use the washing machine and she doesn't like her hoarding clutter touched, so it's hard to clean. I'd like to clean more, but where to start? It's hard...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wake up, feed cats, drink industrial amounts of coffee, deal with any dead mice, coughed-up hair balls, or peed-on things, gather all the cat food bowls together, any left-overs get put out for the crow, wash dishes, scoop litter boxes, make beds, hang sofa throws and cat bedding out to air if sunny, put any very grubby cats beds in the wash, vacuum upstairs and downstairs, take out the rubbish and the recycling, sweep the deck, water plants if needed, take a shower and then it's usually time to feed the cats again.

:runaround::runaround::runaround::runaround::runaround:

I spend a couple of hours cleaning every day. You really have to when you've got this many cats.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wake up, feed cats, drink industrial amounts of coffee, deal with any dead mice, coughed-up hair balls, or peed-on things, gather all the cat food bowls together, any left-overs get put out for the crow, wash dishes, scoop litter boxes, make beds, hang sofa throws and cat bedding out to air if sunny, put any very grubby cats beds in the wash, vacuum upstairs and downstairs, take out the rubbish and the recycling, sweep the deck, water plants if needed, take a shower and then it's usually time to feed the cats again.

:runaround::runaround::runaround::runaround::runaround:

I spend a couple of hours cleaning every day. You really have to when you've got this many cats.
Phew..after all that its time for bed.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only routine I have for cleaning is that it starts with a coffee to get me going. No set day's or order. When the kids were young I had one then but three of the four have moved out and taken mess with them.;)

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will always try to wash up as I go in the kitchen. It isn't very big, so keeping on top of washing dishes and putting things away really helps! I have to vacuum regularly (you can't not vacuum when you have pets) and I steam mop the floors regularly (no chemicals so it's safe for kittens). Generally, I'm good, if you ignore the MASSIVE pile of clothes by my side of the bed :lol: Even though I've gone full-on Marie Kondo at least twice I still seem to have a full wardrobe, and a full floordrobe 😆

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Phew..after all that its time for bed.
But then I have to get up the next morning and do it all again!
:sniffle:

Even though I've gone full-on Marie Kondo at least twice I still seem to have a full wardrobe, and a full floordrobe
I'm into Marie Kondo too. The less you have the less there is to wash and put away. Several times I've thought about just throwing everything I own away, shaving all the cats and burning the house down. It would save me a lot of time.

:lol:

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I'm into Marie Kondo too. The less you have the less there is to wash and put away. Several times I've though about just throwing everything I own away, shaving all the cats and burning the house down. It would save me a lot of time.

Oh I agree with all of that 😆

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Kaylee does most of the cleaning. I used to be a not-a-thing-out-place-no-clutter kind of gal, but since
the surgery my place isn't like that. She is not allowed to do heavy duty cleaning because she is paid
from Government funding but she is an excellent aide.
So glad you got a new aide! It must be such a relief! :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a certain chore for certain days, then I don't do it. I procrastinate till I HAVE to clean and chastise myself for not following my schedule.
I can relate to that! 🤪
:yeah: That about sums up my routine too. I was more organized when I was working full-time but now I procrastinate and tell myself dust is not dirt. :lol:
I’m going to use that line on my husband.
The only routine I have for cleaning is that it starts with a coffee to get me going. No set day's or order. When the kids were young I had one then but three of the four have moved out and taken mess with them.;)
I regularly ask myself if my house was cleaner/neater before we had kids.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm into Marie Kondo too. The less you have the less there is to wash and put away. Several times I've though about just throwing everything I own away, shaving all the cats and burning the house down. It would save me a lot of time.

I do the Marie Kondo thing too. It has really helped! I roll up my clothes in the drawer and put them on end and I can see them all to choose!
I need to do another round to get rid of things.