Question of the Day - Monday, July 18, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good Monday evening. Recently DH and I took our kids on their 2nd cave tour experience. The rock of this cave was different so it was very different in some ways. Their faces were so fun to watch! This particular cave also had a more adventurous option where you need helmets with lights and to crawl through some places…I’ll pass on that!

Have you ever taken a cavern tour or been spelunking?

This was only the 3rd one for me. My dad took me once as a kid and then the 2 with our own kids. I’ve enjoyed them all but I’m definitely not interested in anything remotely dangerous! :lol: We saw an underground waterfall in one and where part of the cave had collapsed at some point inthe past in another. So thats adventurous enough for me!:lol: I wouldn’t mind doing more tours in the future. Our science this coming year has a geology unit so we could call it a field trip! 😉

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no but i haveexplored the old nike missile site in the hills of rowland heights :rolleyes:its dark and alil bit of a spooky place to bring girls for drinking etc as a high school kid but its been all filled with dirt and not much to explore really plus all the buildings are flattened to left over from the nuke era

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes yes yes yes have scooched on my back in TN looking up at the ceiling an inch away from my face…at one point nose to nose w/ the cutest little bat. (We sanitized our shoes to protect the bats). Eventually you get to an EEEEnormous cave but can’t describe more as sworn to secrecy.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
The Carlsbad ones are pretty good. Puerto Rico has one that’s nice and open…even the fraidy cats could dip a toe! :running:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Just going through the 'big' caves... Ipoh caves, Malaysia, Reed Flute Cave, Guilin, China, and Hastings Caves in my home State of Tasmania.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to Wonderland cave in South Dakota. It WAS wonderful and worth it once we got there, but we came from the backside, in the hills (which looked like mountains to this Nebraska girl) and there was always this little sign that said, ten miles to Wonderland Cave! Well after about ten of these we were all sick of following the signs for hours up steep and winding roads. I swear they were unending. so by the time we got there, everyone was pretty worn out and mad. It was beautiful and cool, but I have no desire to go back, even by the interstate that runs right by it on the front side!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, nope, nope. I'd be afraid that the entire thing would cave in on top of me. Now, I know that's not going to happen. And I also know that it's not going to cave in on top of me because I'm not going to be there!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just remembered another Cave that this was on the Amafi coast in Southern Italy. I think it was called the "Blue Grotto". It was a tour on a boat through a cave.

Last edited:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just remembered another Cave that this was on the Amafi coast in Southern Italy. I think it was called the "Blue Grotto". It was a tour on a boat through a cave.
Oh, at Capri!

We frequently visited Capri when we lived in Italy, but never did the Blue Grotto. We were young and Mom thought we'd get scared.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never spelunking, but a few cavern tours.

Most recent being the Princess Margaret Rose Cave in Glenelg Park in Victoria on my honeymoon. It was breathtaking.

0102201122.jpg
0102201110_HDR.jpg
0102201106.jpg
0102201124.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. There used to be a place just over the border in Wisconsin, maybe a hours drive, called Crystal Caves and my mom really wanted to see it. So after my sister got her license and first car we made the road trip. Unfortunately it was a big dissappointment as there was nothing crystal about it.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, at Capri!

We frequently visited Capri when we lived in Italy, but never did the Blue Grotto. We were young and Mom thought we'd get scared.
I guess it could have been Capri. I lived in Naples fro '89 to '92.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the early 2000's I visited "Wonder Cave". It's located in Rural Harmony, Minnesota . The Cave lies beneath a farmers field. A tour takes you about 3 stories deep. The cave tour runs around 3/4 of 1 mile.