Question of the Day - Monday, January 4th, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I typed the year right! Yay! :crazy:

Today is our first day back at school after a long break. We have had so many interruptions between the holidays and our water situation. It's just too hard to concentrate at Grandma's! Even when she is at work. So we are getting back to it. I've got a CD in that teaches skip counting and math facts to music. It's set on repeat for the track that goes with DS's math lesson today. I looked up and all three of us were bobbing our heads along. :paperbag: :flail:As annoying as this might be when I'm singing these in 15 years; I wish they'd taught math like this when I was in school! I might have had an easier time!

It's also birthday season here. My Grandpa turns 99 this year and we have quite a few other birthdays; including DD. I always have the kids choose their flavor of birthday cake. Last year DD wanted an Andes Mint cake. I made it into cupcakes decorated with green icing and and an andes mint. It was good! :yummy:This year she chose a strawberry cake done up in purple icing, pink edging and blue chocolate pearl/ball decorations. I found strawberry filling too. We got a unicorn horn and ears candle set. It should be cute!

What flavor and decorations would you choose for your birthday cake?

I often choose something non-cake; like cheesecake or pie. It depends on what strikes my fancy at the moment. A few years ago I really wanted a lemon blueberry cheesecake. Mom didn't have time so they just got me a cheesecake topped with blueberries. One year DH made me a chocolate rum cake. He swears he followed the recipe...but that rum was POTENT!! :flail:He was so sweet trying to cook back when we were newlyweds. He leaves the baking to Mom, DD and I now. DS is coming along as a baker too though. ;) My Grandma's apple pie squares would probably be my top choice but I can't seem to replicate her pie exactly. I need to check the apply kind again with my Aunt. Another favorite are these extra large chocolate cupcakes filled with cherries that my Mom makes. SOOOO good!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
:sorry:

We are still finishing Christmas cookies and DH is looking for a pie because we have apples. :lol2:
Me too, but I got inspired by everyone’s descriptions of these cakes so now I’m m making a pie 🤦🏻‍♀️
It is hard at this time of year because even though the holidays are over, we may still be stuck in festive Holiday eating mode. Give it another week and hopefully will have winded down by then. 🙂

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like ice cream cake! But also carrot cake and cheesecake.
Not a huge fan of "regular" cake ala sheet cake or birthday cake mix (although for some reason the mix tastes better as cupcakes?)

Decorations would just be something aesthetically pleasing like monotone or ombre teal or pink or gold with nice (real) flowers or fruit.
I really don't like the typical garish icing/frosting a lot of commercial cakes come with.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like cake, it's too sweet.
Same here. I just like to look at them when there are birthdays or any special occasions. But if I had to choose, I would want a mocha cake, or a coffee flavored cake, with small flower decorations on the sides.

I prefer bagels, croissants, Baguettes, the likes.
And a hot cup of coffee. :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
An old-fashioned birthday cake with buttercream frosting from the Magnolia Bakery in NYC.
I've made their cupcakes and my nephews said they were "chronic", ha! That was a long
time ago.
Mia6 Mia6 I have one of Magnolia's cookbooks. Absolutely fantastic cupcakes! Well, absolutely fantastic anything, really.

My most favored cake? A 2-layer while coconut cake with extra coconut between the layers. Sometimes I like a lemon filling between the layers, along with the extra coconut, instead of a regular buttercream frosting. Sometimes I like a raspberry filling between the layers. The lemon is really wonderful. I love, love, love white coconut cake.