Question of the Day - Monday, December 11, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in Christmas prep mode speed 75 right now. :dizzycat::running:

I ran into Walmart before getting my grocery pickup order this morning to get some stocking things and a couple gifts I needed to get without my kids present. (DD asked for a trash can for her bedroom :headscratch:...I should get her some bags for it too...). Then I came home to DD starting to bake cookies for their parties this week and I started the rest of my online shopping. I think I've managed to get a lot accomplished. I only need gift gifts for a few more people. 3 aunts who always get the same thing in different colors and 2 more nieces who I hope to get to a particular store for. Gift cards are always last minute.

I also found some nice trays to make cookie trays on for these parties. I didn't think I needed more than one batch for tomorrow until I saw that they want cookies for DS's hotdog roast too. I'm so glad DD is big enough to do 99% of the work herself now. And she loves it. Except the part where she lost a chunk of dough out of the mixer onto the floor somehow. :dunno: I also found out that we need to make the lasagna for Christmas ourselves. Fortunately DD has made those with my mom before too so I think I'll have enough help. I just need to adjust my grocery shopping. :runaround:Fortunately we are already on a light week of school before starting break. I figure most regular schools are also doing parties and knowing most kids are NOT about to focus on lessons with all the other merriment to be had. :rolleyes2:

What is your go-to plan for feeding people last minute?

I'm probably more of a pizza girl but I can whip up a pot of sauce for spaghetti pretty quickly too. It all depends on how much other stuff I need to do to prepare for company. I've also gotten whole chickens that come in a bag to roast. Those are good and feel fancy. Then I just dice up some potatoes to roast and slice some carrots to boil. Viola.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Something like Potbelly sub-sandwich with sides, e.g. chips, cole slaw, potato salad, etc. They have a nice choice of sandwiches including a veggie melt for the non-meat eaters. No heating up to do just cut slices and let people choose their preference.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been in that situation myself,but I'd probably either go with the pizza or Woods fried chicken and a couple of sides.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have one, I never have visitors who need feeding. Nor do I have room for more than one visitor (and that person has to sit on a folding chair) in my unit. If someone did come in wanting to be fed, they'd be bang out of luck. But I'd be very annoyed if someone showed up like that anyway. I don't cook and my unit only has a micr.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dad and I don't really like visitors. We prefer to meet for lunch at a restaurant. Dinner is too late, we like to be home with the cats. If my brother is spending the weekend we get takeout like calzones or subs, or cook on the stovetop.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I can whip up pizza fairly quickly, so that would be on my list. Pasta sauce from the freezer that I can toss into the microwave for spaghetti, maybe a baked ziti. It all depends on how I'm feeling. It depends on who the people are, too, if that makes any sense, how well I know them and what they like to eat. Sometimes, take-out pizza works best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can whip up pizza fairly quickly, so that would be on my list. Pasta sauce from the freezer that I can toss into the microwave for spaghetti, maybe a baked ziti. It all depends on how I'm feeling. It depends on who the people are, too, if that makes any sense, how well I know them and what they like to eat. Sometimes, take-out pizza works best.
Yes its hard if you don’t know if they have dietary restrictions or even just preferences. I was stressing a bit about my cousin stopping for a visit after Thanksgiving because I know her family has multiple restrictions and her husband was eating vegan for a while. We ended up eating at a local restaurant that has gluten free pies. We could just focus on enjoying the brief visit. (They stopped mid road trip on their way home because it literally took them through my town.) It made preparing anything difficult especially factoring in children with food allergies. That vegan diet must be out the window because we all enjoyed the restaurants calamari and chicken wings. :lol: