Question of the Day - Monday, August 1, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's August! That means The School Fairy comes this month. :lol: :bawling:😔:crazy: DS is NOT excited. :lol: We've been trying to work with him on getting him to do things he doesn't want to with a better attitude and no nagging. (Because no one likes to be nagged!) He's always been harder to find effective consequences and even positive reinforcement but it's gotten really discouraging lately. On some levels I understand because there are definitley things Iwant to procrastinate on!

How do you motivate yourself to do tasks you dislike?

Good music has always been helpful when I'm cleaning or working on a long task. Sometimes a good movie works too if I've seen it enough that I don't needs to watch the screen the whole time. For long night time projects I'll let myself have soda (something we don't really drink regularly). I've definitely learned that my attitude helps determine if I'm going to be miserable or not. DS just loves hearing how he can choose to just get his chores done and move on or drag it out and be miserable getting them done. Either way you're doing it; but it's your choice how miserable you are. ;)

I've been trying to not use food as a reward for myself but sometimes it is nice to have a little treat after getting things done. But it's ok if it's something limited or once in a while. Doing that regularly can be a problem.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually I invite someone to my house and then I realize I don't want people to see how I live and I clean the whole house. Other motivations include:
I'm out of spoons/bowls/plates
I don't have any clean clothes
The dog fur sticking to my feet from the living room is annoying me
I'm sick of having destroyed dog toys all over my bedroom
It's trash or recycling day tomorrow
I can't find my crochet/cross stitch/other craft project
Something smells

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I just try to get them done right away so I don’t stress too long over them. What also helps me is to be prepared, like having all of my tools or supplies ready so I don’t slow myself down. And if it’s truly something I hate hate hate doing then I will have some kind of reward or positive thing planned for after I am done.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At work, I push myself until I am exhausted. My job, it's hard. Time flies. At home, (and please don't laugh) sometimes I dance around while I work. :lol: Never while cooking, though. I was dancing to "Welcome to the Jungle" and cut my thumb with a butcher knife when I first got married.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I put it off long enough,Hubby will end up doing whatever task it might be,and that's not the right way to go in my opinion.So,I sit and ponder it for a bit and then just get up and do it.Then it's done and I can move on to other things...or not:)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I look at the project for a while, I ponder all of the angles, meditate on the possibilities, and then decide it really isn't that urgent at all. When it gets urgent, I just get up and do it. For the most part, I'm firmly in the "I'll procrastinate about this...tomorrow" camp.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When it comes to the things that I could put off and dislike like cleaning I start early Saturday morning. I don't quit until I am done. I get the cleaning done, laundry done, go to the grocery store and get a haircut if I need it. Then I have the rest of the weekend free. With work I have no choice but to do the things I don't like as they come up.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's something I'm currently working on. I even have a thread I started to kinda keep me accountable for my new endeavor. I'm in the middle of a big house clean and will be implementing a schedule to force myself to maintain the chores. So basically...I'm going to force myself to just do it. Same with exercise...hate it...but need to do it...so I just do it. Sometimes my stubbornness can work to my advantage once I've made up my mind to do something.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Plug the iPod in and crank the volume up. And away I go! (I bake like that, too.) I hope I never get so old that I stop listening to classic rock. I'll be the one in the nursing home, singing, "Smoke on the water, fire in the sky" at the top of my lungs and driving everybody crazy.