Question of the Day, January 7

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much my entire house is furnished by secondhand, thrifted, and local auction items. I'd have a hard time finding something that was purchased new. Even my basement couch, which I did buy new, was fully refunded to me because it arrived broken and I kept it because the damage wasn't too bad. I think the big things in my house that I did buy new are the fridge, the deep freezer, my bed, and the cat trees.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I do.

It was my resolution last year to only buy recycled clothing, except for socks and underwear. I don't really need a lot of clothes and I've been trying to downsize for a few years now. If I buy something it has to be from a second hand clothing store. A lot of the clothing they sell has never been worn and still has the original tags on it, so I get something new at a bargain price.

I get bargain furniture too. Bought this for around $5 and spent a happy afternoon fixing it up. :cloud9:

LDP95.jpg
LDP97.jpg

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The rescue where I volunteer runs a thrift shop to raise funds. I have bought pictures, shirts, furniture, cooking stuff, movies and CD's there. We get some donations that are new or unused. I would be embarrassed to tell you how little I paid for an unused Lazy Boy recliner in perfect (!) shape.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I have never bought second hand too.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep.
I buy used clothing from EBay and there is a store here in town where you pay $10.00 a year and can shop once a week at no charge.
They have clothing, furniture, lamps, etc You can put a shout out if you need a mattress and someone usually buys one for the person
who needs it. If you don't have the 10 bucks you can still shop for free.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I do.

It was my resolution last year to only buy recycled clothing, except for socks and underwear. I don't really need a lot of clothes and I've been trying to downsize for a few years now. If I buy something it has to be from a second hand clothing store. A lot of the clothing they sell has never been worn and still has the original tags on it, so I get something new at a bargain price.

I get bargain furniture too. Bought this for around $5 and spent a happy afternoon fixing it up. :cloud9:

View attachment 406960View attachment 406961
That is lovely! Love the globe!!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Absolutely! There is so much stuff out there that is perfectly all right. It's just another form of recycling.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t do ot often; but I love browsing antique shops. Clothing I don’t necessarily mind; but I dont look to do it either. I need to try things on.

My great-aunt was a nun and basically the sister in charge of everything that went on in their community center from the children’s programs to the homeless ministry. They had a bazaar every year that was so fun! My grandparents, great aunt and uncle and some cousins always got involved. Part of it was a rummage sale and I LOVED browsing that. I still have some tiny vases and things I got there. But my favorite is a white on white cat with a soft pink rose painting in a white and gold frame. It’s hanging in my dressing room now and I’ve had it since I was probably 8-10 years old.

I think almost all of our furniture growing up was second hand. Mom talked about having to give our couch multiple cleanings. My bedroom set and mattress had been donated to my great-aunts church (I promise she was filling a need she knew of; not favoring family!!). I had hand-me-downs and I didn’t care till they were decades out of fashion.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I normally don't buy clothing, unless it's new with tags and something really great. I have this thing about wearing used shoes. Sorry, I just can't do it. I used to go just to find vintage wooden jewelry boxes to re-hab, but, since those don't sell online, or I get insultingly low offers (a lot of work goes into re-habbing them), I no longer go to thrift stores. Also, I'm trying to simplify my life, and have been donating stuff to the Vietnam Veterans of America, so I don't need to go to yard sales or thrift stores!

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
years ago , my Mom (who is now in Heaven) was getting chemo for breast cancer. she had a wig and I needed one of those Styrofoam heads to put it on. couldn't find one anywhere ! lo and behold.. found one at salvation army ! paid $ 3.oo for it ! a child had drawn a goofy face on it. didn't care. I figured I can turn it toward the back, right ? brought it to her. showed it to her . she said " dont you dare turn that around! I love that goofy smile ! put it facing outward. that's how I am going to smile when my treatments are over !" ..so I did. that silly face made her laugh every day . It was one of the best purchases ever !