Question of the Day, January 7

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

Do you (or would you) buy something second hand? Do you shop at thrift stores? What about yard sales?

I like checking out yard sales or public sales, although I'm mainly interested in books, cookbooks, or kitchen items: glasses, bowls, etc. Things that I can easily clean. Maybe an unusual planter. No clothes, shoes, towels or bedding. No furniture. We have a couple thrift stores in the area. I've gone in once or twice. The one store lost me when I was walking around and found several pairs of men's "tidy whities" that were not tidy, nor were they white. They were badly stained. But there they were on hangers. And I thought, "No, no, nope!" and left.

What about you?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kinda quit buying second-hand or going into those places after our last move. I don't need any more of anything! I enjoy browsing around antique and second-hand stores, I collect chickens and animals 'on a basket' which I display in my kitchen. At almost 66 I really have everything I need and are in fact downsizing my possessions dramatically. After cleaning out my parent's house after my dad died, and my mom went into assisted living, I vowed never to do that to my daughter.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, yes and yes. There are a few no-no's that I will not buy second hand like undies/bras/bathing suit, etc...the "intimate" clothing, bedding/sheets/towels, mattresses, etc...things like that. But I'm all for a good bargain so most of it is fair game. I love thrift stores and yard sales. When it comes to second hand clothes...I do inspect them quite thoroughly.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mostly books! Either through used bookstores or we used to get books for our classrooms via thriftbooks. I bought some dress up clothes for my classroom at a garage sale once, too.

I don't normally buy used clothes, but I'm okay with shirts/dresses, not undergarments or shoes. I got J's cloth diapers that I'm too lazy to use these days used via a Facebook group, and most of her clothes from my friend. Her walking shoes are new because I want her to wear them down in her foot pattern.

So used is cool, happy for books from anywhere, clothing I'd prefer knowing exactly who it came from rather than a used store.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sell Lysol laundry disinfectant now. I still think I'd draw the line on undies, lol. I'd consider an expensive bra or bathing suit if it looked new, and I'd wash it like 3 times first. The best coat I ever had was found at a thrift shop. I wouldn't have a problem with nice sheets or towels. I usually prefer thrifted "stuff" over clothes though.

But mostly I don't have the time or patience to rummage around at a thrift shop or yard sale. I'm only in the mood for it maybe twice a year. The Goodwills here don't have great stuff when I go; I think you have to go frequently to find the good stuff before someone else gets it. Plus they're charging like $4 for t-shirts (I like getting big men's t-shirts for sleeping in) and I can get them new at Walmart for that much.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
yep !! all the time ! you wouldn't believe the great finds there. I have gotten great stuff that was never worn. People donate gifts and stuff that didn't fit, etc.. rather than take it back. I once got an expensive coat for 5 dollars !! brand new. still had tags on . I lost 100 pounds and while I was losing didn't want to spend a lot of $ on clothes when mine were getting loose, but I wasn't at my goal yet. It was a great place to get my temporary sizes ..cheap!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
yep !! all the time ! you wouldn't believe the great finds there. I have gotten great stuff that was never worn. People donate gifts and stuff that didn't fit, etc.. rather than take it back. I once got an expensive coat for 5 dollars !! brand new. still had tags on . I lost 100 pounds and while I was losing didn't want to spend a lot of $ on clothes when mine were getting loose, but I wasn't at my goal yet. It was a great place to get my temporary sizes ..cheap!
I'm with you, I've found some brand new things with tags still one them. And sometimes there are some really interesting jewelry finds in places like that.

There's a thrift shop near our post office that I visit sometimes after picking up my mail. I found a long knit cardigan there for $8 that has become my absolute favorite.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My house is pretty much furnished with second hand things, from my decor to lamps to major pieces of furniture. I pretty much just never buy new unless it is something I can’t find second hand. It lets me have beautiful and some times expensive things for a fraction of the price of new and I dont feel as bad getting rid of them when I am tired of them. Occasionally I buy clothing but it needs to be pretty much new. Never undergarments or bedding

I shop thrift stores more than garage sales but if one is nearby I will be there. I do usually have an idea of things I need and sometimes It may take me six months or more to find them but if you look long enough, they usually show up.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much just never buy new unless it is something I can’t find second hand. It lets me have beautiful and some times expensive things for a fraction of the price of new
Oh, yeah, no reason to buy new nice wood furniture when you can find it second-hand! Sometimes you can find it for a ridiculously low price like $20 for a $600 piece of furniture, just because they want to be rid of it and it's too heavy/big for the casual buyers. I've found more on Facebook Marketplace than at second-hand stores though.

But I don't think I'd get a couch or other upholstered furniture second-hand, unless I knew the person getting rid of it and was sure they didn't have bedbugs.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, no reason to buy new nice wood furniture when you can find it second-hand! Sometimes you can find it for a ridiculously low price like $20 for a $600 piece of furniture, just because they want to be rid of it and it's too heavy/big for the casual buyers. I've found more on Facebook Marketplace than at second-hand stores though.

But I don't think I'd get a couch or other upholstered furniture second-hand, unless I knew the person getting rid of it and was sure they didn't have bedbugs.
Agree. I would/have never get upholstered furniture. Only solid wood pieces - dressers, end tables, desk etc are ones I have purchased second hand and refinished.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
no.. I have not purchased anything at a second hand shop. I have donated so much to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, St Vincent de Paul.

I cannot see myself wearing someone else's clothes. I really cannot. I heard there are great bargains there.. As I have donated new clothes of my parents, after they passed~~ tags still on them.

I did regret donating some things. I almost went back into the store to see if I could buy back some of the glasswork things I donated.
~~~~`
After I dropped and broke a gas bud vase, I searched everywhere for one. I could not find a replacement. I did go to my Church's Flea Market, finding one similar. It had been washed before being displayed, but when I got home, I had to soak it in hot water and scrub it clean....

It is just me.....

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lots of things that I bought second hand. Growing up, most of my clothes were second hand or hand-me-downs, so that part has never bothered me. Whether from a thrift store or yard sale, it doesn't matter to me. Why spend big bucks for new stuff if you can find good used? Even with vehicles; the last new one we got was in 1998, and that was only the second one I've had in over 50 years of driving.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. Have bought many things at yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores, rummage sales. I have no problem with clothes that are clean (not stained) because I can wash them, but won't buy undergarments.
Once many many years ago my mother, sister, and I went to a rummage sale. We didn't have much money and this was a great way to get clothes and things. The last day of the sale, they had $1 a bag all you could stuff in. When we got home and I emptied my bag, mom and sis were astonished how much I was able to stuff in there and not have the bag break. Mostly I went for tops, and some of them ended up being my favorites. The ones that didn't fit, we re-donated.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to resale shops and flea markets. I have no problem with buying and using used stuff, but I have the "hoarding gene," so I have to restrain myself.

One good thing is that I'm a cheapskate as well, so I usually just end up looking.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I love checking out thrift stores and some, not all, yard/garage sales. DH has made it his hobby since he buys and collects antiques. He knows exactly what he's looking for and has also appraised items for people. I don't go with any specific item in mind because you never know what you're going to find but off the top of my head I've bought: foldable umbrellas, copper tea kettle, food steamer still in the box, two quilts that I cleaned and use as throws, books, even pictures to hang on the wall. This may sound weird but when I go to an estate sale with DH and an elderly person has passed away I feel sad that no one wanted their treasured belongings or at least not the ones at the sale so I always leave buying a little something just out of respect for them. :touched:There's always something I can find.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to volunteer in a charity shop (charitable thrift stores for the Americans here!) and regularly bought stuff from there. If you look carefully, you can get some really good buys!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have bought from flea markets and thrift stores both,and have never had a bit of an issue.There are some things I draw the line at,but so far my luck has been good.