Question of the Day- January 4th

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let's see: squirrel, rabbit (wild & domesticated), calamari (squid), escargot (snails), rocky mountain oysters (deep fried calf's testicles
), frog's legs, buffalo, venison, alligator and abalone. I refuse to eat Spam!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Venison (deer meat) My husband's friend didn't tell me what it was until after I'd eaten it

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess just escargot and calamari. Although I'm very suprised no one has admitted to trying cat food yet! I tried 1 piece of dried cat food when I was a kid.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have had cat food and dog food (dry and canned) and I've tried milkbones, all as a kid of course.

megagene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...Fish eyes, pig intestine, chicken feet...I don't really consider these things to be particularly weird though...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've eaten a lot of the things already mentioned as weird, and not found them weird. I'll try pretty much anything, particularly at the hands of a person who knows how to prepare it -- less likely to try something unusual if I have to prepare it myself, unless it's easy to find reliable instruction. One exception to that is rabbit, which I don't even think of as "weird", but I'd no sooner eat rabbit than I'd eat Cindy.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kinda interesting what some people find weird!
Deer, rabbit, squirrel... all that's pretty normal huntin'!

Um... Weirdest thing... frog's legs, probably, but I'll try anything once, if I get the chance. Just not much chance in the middle of nowhere!

I've tried cat/dog/rat food/treats too... just because, and I'm not talking about when I was a kid.

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll try anything once - mostly. I won't ever eay sous or chitlins...

I've had escargot, patte, frog's legs, gator, shark... I've travelled to Europe where I had most of that, and I have a weird father who would make me try things so I would learn to not be scared...

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ate a Robin once. I was about 12 and me and my cousin JJ were in the woods in upstate NY. My uncle has a few hundred acres. We had .22 rifles and a few hundred rounds each. We were told we could shoot cans and vermin, but nothing that wasn't vermin. So, we being kids, got bored of shooting cans, and vermin were too hard to find. I saw a HUGE Robin sitiing on a wood pile pecking at bugs. I shot it. My uncle saw it. He made me pluck the feathers, clean it, cook it and eat it. He told me not to kill unless it was for a purpose, like eating.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Black pudding in Ireland. I didn't know what it was at the time. The thought just makes me want to
I think that is the weirdest thing I have eaten too. I remember being appalled at the thought and taste of it but all of my family back home in Ireland have it with Sunday breakfast

Originally Posted by babyharley

I don't think I want to know what that is
I know I have told you what it is before
and I believe
was your response

It is a sausage made from animal blood mixed with oatmeal, fat, suet and sometimes meat which is sliced and fried to cook it

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I honestly don't think I've ever eaten anything weird. I have sort of a food phobia, I don't trust most things and I certainly won't try anything odd!
Same here!

I guess the oddest thing I tried was ostrich. It was way too gamey for me.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't stick anything weird in MY mouth!
Even the thought of eating something weird like chocolate covered ants or whatever will make me feel like throwing up..

The yuckiest thing that I can be accused of eating would be venison - and I didn't even like that!

~KK~

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhm.... well as a kid I did once eat congealed fabric softener, mistaking it for toothpaste
Top that!! I guess at that age though we all eat something stupid at some point or another.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked in a Chinese restaurant many moons ago. The cook made some funky steamed octopus thing for lunch (for the family who owned the restaurant, not to serve to customers!) The octopi were really small, and could fit into your mouth whole. It just grossed me out because it was rubbery, and squeaked against my teeth when I tried to chew it!

When I was a child my grandmother made boiled beef tongue. What a nasty visual. This big huge, disembodied tongue, sitting on a platter in the middle of the table! I don't remember if I actually ate it or not. I'm pretty sure I couldn't get past the visual. My grandmother also made blood sausage and blood soup. GAK!!!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I worked in a Chinese restaurant many moons ago. The cook made some funky steamed octopus thing for lunch (for the family who owned the restaurant, not to serve to customers!) The octopi were really small, and could fit into your mouth whole. It just grossed me out because it was rubbery, and squeaked against my teeth when I tried to chew it!

When I was a child my grandmother made boiled beef tongue. What a nasty visual. This big huge, disembodied tongue, sitting on a platter in the middle of the table! I don't remember if I actually ate it or not. I'm pretty sure I couldn't get past the visual. My grandmother also made blood sausage and blood soup. GAK!!!
That's enough to scar any kid for life, that!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That midwest thing you mentioned-Blood sausage I remember my grandmother making it and hauling in a pan of blood into her kitchen-GROSS!!!!!!

No one has mentioned cavier (salty), oysters (chewy).
In Wisconsin fresh cheese curds (YUMMY!!!!!)

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

It is a sausage made from animal blood mixed with oatmeal, fat, suet and sometimes meat which is sliced and fried to cook it

I was beginning to get hungry, but I think I just lost my appetite..

Just come to TCS if you want to lose weight!

~KK~