Question of the Day, Friday September 22, 2023

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Two parts today. :lol:

Where do you store your dish towel when you not using it?

I know many people hang it over the stove handle or dishwasher handle. I normally place it flat on the counter to dry.

What do you use to wash your wishes? Dishrag, sponge, other?

I use a dishrag and since I have a double sink place it over the divider of the two when not using it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I know many people hang it over the stove handle or dishwasher handle. I normally place it flat on the counter to dry.

I use a dishrag and since I have a double sink place it over the divider of the two when not using it.
1) Either over the stove handle, or (usually) wadded up and tossed on the countertop :lol:
2) Dish rag. I like that they're easy to launder and re-use.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use dishtowels or wash cloths. I clean the dishes off with dawn and a paper towel and load them in the dishwasher. And let the dishwasher dry them.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I mostly use Bounty paper towels to clean up around the kitchen. I only use dish towels to handle hot items - they get hung up around the fridge handles, usually.
We wash dishes with a dishwasher safe sponge but rarely need to use that since everything gets a quick rinse and into the dishwasher, which does a good job of drying everything off also.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I admit to being a bit OCD about dishtowels. Clean towels are stored in a drawer just to the left of the sink. Under the sink there is a rack to hang a towel in use and another towel rack on the inside of the pantry door to hang damp towels. There is also a laundry basket in the pantry for used towels since they are always washed by themselves.

I do have a drawer under the sink for sponges and scrubbers but for general wiping I have been using disposable handiwipe type cloths that are on a roll. They are very inexpensive, work well for wiping up and can either be reused or tossed. I just can’t deal with a stinky cloth so I use one for a couple days at most. Scrubbers get used as needed, mostly for pots and pans.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually have a couple dishtowels on the go and hang them either over the oven handle or the freezer handle (it's a bottom drawer freezer/fridge). I use both dishcloth and a scrubby sponge, it depends on what the task requires. The dishcloth hangs over the center sink divider and the scrubby sits off to the right of the sink (still on the stainless border part). I replace and wash as needed...the clean cloths/towels are in my linen closet upstairs (I have terrible storage in my kitchen) and the new scrubby sponges are in my makeshift "pantry" downstairs...as I said...terrible storage in my kitchen, I can't wait until I'm able to renovate, but alas, it's not happening anytime soon.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a towel rack above my sink that I installed because I couldn't find a good place for the towel anywhere else. Growing up we had it in the door handle of the fridge. I wash my dishes with the dishwasher. If I need to wash by hand, I use a paper towel because the sponge I have sitting out is to clean the sink and I will not reuse it for dishes since I clean the sink with Comet which is basically bleach.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
1. I have a rack attached to my cabinet below the sink that I hang my dish towel on. I keep clean dish towels in the linen closet.
2. I have a spongy thing with a handle that I use to wash smaller dishes and coffee mugs. I keep it in the dish drainer.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 dish towels. The clean one is in the bathroom towel cupboard under the sink. The one in use is on a special little towel rack hanging over the kitchen cupboard door. I switch them out when I wash the towels on Wednesdays.

I use a dishcloth for wiping my surfaces in the kitchen. I use a sponge for doing the dishes. I use a scrubby blue thingy to scrape off the dishes. Those are all on the sink in holders. I wash the dishcloth on Wednesdays. I replace the sponge & scrubber once a month.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1. I like my dishtowel on the stove handle so it will dry faster when the oven is on. We also have a clothes pin on it so it won't fall off. That really helps with kids who were knocking it off all the time.

2. I use dish cloths to wash dishes.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I use a sponge to wash dishes. I only use a dish towel once, dry the dishes, wipe down the work surfaces and the sink and then put the towel in the laundry and use a clean one next time I wash up.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any rails in my kitchen (which is minuscule) so the tea towel and general hand towel hang from the handles of the under-sink cupboard.

I recently started using one of those dish wand things (scourer with detergent in the handle) and since my washing up is minimal - no food preparation, just the containers the food comes in, the plates/bowls it goes onto, and cutlery - I wash each piece as it's used and don't need to have a major dishwashing session.

Shanon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

. I put my dish towels in the 3rd drawer left of the sink.
I use the smiley face sponges.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a shelf in a cabinet hubby built for my dishtowels,but after I use one,it goes in the hamper to wash.Well,if I leave it out,someone will find it and think it's cool to take a nap on,so.......I do use these great sponges I found on QVC.They get used a few times and into the washer.They last forever and they never smell .I also use a scotchbrite on occasion

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dish towel?? So confused.
Sponges for. Dishes?? The only things I know about are disposable. They come in a clear plastic wrap. It’s all you need. Spoon fork and knife with a napkin and salt and pepper. Why would any one want to clean them. This must have something to do with “groceries”

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The only things I know about are disposable. They come in a clear plastic wrap. It’s all you need. Spoon fork and knife with a napkin and salt and pepper. Why would any one want to clean them. This must have something to do with “groceries”
Bad for you and bad for the environment. Treat yourself to some nice cutlery that you can use and reuse and treasure.

I used to make ceramics and it's really comforting to have your coffee out of a favourite mug or eat your lunch from a plate that has meaning and memories attached to it.

:)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a dishcloth and dish towel. I spread the towel out on the counter, the cat that I have now doesn't jump up on the kitchen counter. She can because she jumps up on things in other rooms but she isn't in the kitchen that much. I use them a few times since it's just me.

I have been tempted to get the disposable silverware, but I haven't given in to it. I work from home and tend to snack rather than have full meals. I wash up everything at the end of the day and always have a lot of silverware to wash.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used to make ceramics and it's really comforting to have your coffee out of a favourite mug or eat your lunch from a plate that has meaning and memories attached to it.
Absolutely! :agree: I have my morning coffee out of a cat mug and afternoon one from a dog mug. I eat my veggies on a plate my daughter made when she was in girl scouts. Definitely meaningful and with fond memories.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dish Towels in use hang from the handle on the dishwasher as it is rarely used. Dish towel storage is in a 2nd drawer between the dishwasher and sink.