Question of the Day, Friday, October 25

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

I apologize for missing last Friday's QoTH. I was busy at work and then, when I got home, I had completely forgotten about it. I'm sorry.

What's your favorite pizza? What toppings do you really like? Do you prefer a thin, crispy crust or a thick, chewy crust? How do you want your pizza cooked? In the oven? On the grill? What's your favorite pizzeria? Is it a chain or a local store? Tell us about your favorite pizza!

Around here, our favorite pizza is probably a sourdough chicken BBQ pizza with red onions and lots of smoked provolone. When I discard my cup of sourdough starter, I use the discards to make the sourdough crust. When I can, I throw it on the grill, but the oven works, too. We like to have pizza parties when friends visit. I'll make a bunch of individual crusts, prepare a variety of toppings and cheeses, and let people make their own pizza. We like to throw them on the grill, too. Rick really likes Papa John's pizza. My preference is Rocco's, a local pizzeria that makes gigantic pizzas that are simply delicious. They make a cheeseburger pizza with blue cheese that will knock your socks off.

How about you?

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite pizza is a traditional Ny style crust cooked in the huge stone pizza oven. I like a nearby family run place for either cheese or veggie pie, and there’s a place 40 minutes away that, in the fall, makes a butternut pizza. This pizza rocks, the “sauce” is a cream of butternut, light mozzarella cheese and bacon topping. Seriously to die for!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thin crust. NY style. I usually get just cheese but if I get toppings, they are usually black olives and onions. I'm in Florida. We don't have much good pizza and the big chains are pretty terrible IMO. I usually get a frozen one from a company called Monteli's. I've never seen it anywhere other than Publix but it's really good. Especially for frozen. I doctor it up with some sharp provolone cheese and sometimes olives and/or onions.

Monteli - Authentic Italian wood-fired Pizza

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I loooooove a good thin crust pizza. My husband hates them, so I can only order it by the slice if we are out or get a small/medium pizza for myself!

For the past year or so, I've been on a cheese, pineapple, and bacon kick. It's my go-to topping. My husband just likes cheese. If he is feeling adventurous, he will get ham and cheese...lol.

We used to live near Charlotte, NC, and there was a locally owned pizza place that was just to die for. They had the best oven baked pizzas. They had one called the Mediterranean (think a Greek salad, but on pizza crust with white sauce instead of marinara). Mmmmm.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love what is often referred to as Hawaiian pizza: regular cheese and tomato sauce pizza with ham and pineapple toppings.

I am OK with thin or thick crust.

We've lived in our current home for 11 years, and I still haven't found what I consider to be an excellent pizza place....but I keep searching.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like a crust that is kind of between, not thin like a cracker or so thick that it is like bread. I usually just get either pepperoni or sausage. My favorite is a small chain called Romeos. They are mostly in Ohio with one place each in North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida. I really like their sauce because it tastes like fresh tomatoes. I usually get extra sauce, they only charge 50 cents for extra. They cost a little more then the national chains unless they have some kind of special going which doesn't happen very often. I get their regular crust which is the kind I like, they make the dough fresh daily. They also have an option for the thin crust that is like a cracker and they also make a Chicago deep dish.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There used to be a pizza place here that made them in a wood-fired brick dome, and they were great, with a thick crust done just right. I liked pepperoni on mine, while Michele would get the white pizza.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh Pizza Hut. Not for pizza though. Years ago they made the Priazzo. It was cooked in a deep pan. A layer of dough, sauce, cheese, toppings and then covered with another layer of dough sauce and cheese. Mmmmmmmmmm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Ohh Pizza Hut. Not for pizza though. Years ago they made the Priazzo. It was cooked in a deep pan. A layer of dough, sauce, cheese, toppings and then covered with another layer of dough sauce and cheese. Mmmmmmmmmm
I found a recipe for PH's Priazzo! It doesn't exactly taste like their Priazzo, but it's not bad either. Good stuff! I make a giant one, in a 10-inch clay pan (Pampered Chef) that I've had forever.

And now I'm hungry for Priazzo!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, the crust depends on the topping and the brand. For basic delivery pizzas, I like pepperoni on medium crust. If I'm making my own (either at home or at PizzaRev), I like a thin crust with all the veggies. I also really like Costco's pizza.

I like lots of sauce. A LOT. I usually ask for a cup of sauce to dip it in too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was born in an area with a lot of immigrant populations that left us with amazing food options. Including pizza! My favorite is thick and round but it’s not cut into wedges. The crust and sauce are just as amazing as toppings and the cheese is always adequate. Actually at this place you don’t even need toppings. Generations of babies have teethed on their crust. Its just Good! :drool: My dad jokes he made them millionaires. The sons run the pizzeria now and have jacked up the prices. :disappointed: But they are still the best. Including their wings. No one makes wings like theirs around here!:bawling:

If I get pizza at home i get it New York style with pepperoni and sometimes banana peppers. My kids like Dominos pizza and they have good deals. And they are the only ones who deliver to our house. So they get mushrooms and olives. But if I want pizza; I want it from a non-chain pizzeria!:smash:

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I’d love the recipe. I worked at Pizza Hut but the dough was bagged, just add water, the sauce was in a can and the cheese it was a mozzarella mix of some other cheese. They used a big thing with spikes on it that they sunk in the pizza so it would cook evenly. Mmmmmmm

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has to be pizza from New York City, regular crust that you can fold nicely in half and walk down the street with. Preferably with pepperoni please. Perhaps some sliced onions also. A bit overdone too. But I like any kind pretty much as long as it's a decent pie.

I'm not big on chain pizza but...I do like Blaze which is wood fired thin crust particularly the "White Top" which is white cream sauce, mozzarella, bacon, garlic, arugula and oregano and then topped with a basil drizzle. SO delish!

There's a nearby restaurant/bar that makes a fantastic homemade cracker type crust pizza that's out of this world and comes up with some really original toppings. Haven't been there in ages though and unfortunately they don't deliver. Or maybe it's fortunate now that I think of it :flail:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like a medium crust and sausage and black olives or mushrooms. I used to like pepperoni, but now it's too salty for me. We have a restaurant nearby, Traverso's, that makes killer pizza.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go through phases with the types of crusts I like. Right now I'm in the thicker crust phase. I don't have a particular restaurant I like to get it from. I like any pizza with pineapple, so I often get sausage and pineapple or a meat lovers with pineapple. I recently discovered Aldi's take-and-bake pizza that I really like. It's huge and I have a tiny oven so it takes up the entire oven.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like a local place called Ledo's Pizza. I like the thin crust with extra cheese, onion, black olives and mushrooms.

By the way, today, 10/25/2019, is National Greasy Foods Day. My favorite greasy food is pizza.

Last edited: