Question of the Day, Friday, October 24

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Friday! 

We are going for our yearly apple frenzy on Saturday morning (if I feel any better from my cold). We're going with my brother and SIL and this year my sister and BIL are going along, too. We'll start out with breakfast at the Cracker Barrel, hit the apple bins and get our apples, then spend the afternoon doing a bit of shopping and a quick dinner before coming back home Saturday night. I will have about 100 pounds or so of apples that I will use to make applesauce, apple butter BBQ sauce, apple pies, apple dumplings, apple cookies, applesauce brownies, some apple bread, and some dried apples.

I know we have talked about apples before, but we have some new members, so let's talk about apples again!

What is your favorite apple? What's your favorite apple dessert? Do you add apples to any main dishes? What's your favorite way to eat an apple? If you'd like, add your favorite apple recipe, too!

I go for a Mutsu or a Granny Smith. We love apple pie, so I always try to make 5 or 6 pies and throw them in the freezer to use later on. I add apples to a lot of dishes. We add apples to our stuffing to fill pork chops, we make pork chops with apples (and squash, too), we will grill large apple splices to have with dinner. I'll serve baked apples, with raisins and pecans and vanilla ice cream for dessert. I make tons of applesauce every year; I think Rick takes applesauce every day in his lunch to work....that man loves his applesauce. I make crock pot stuffing for Thanksgiving and I always add a couple large chopped Grannies to the stuffing. You know what they say: An apple a day keeps the doctor away! 

Has anybody ever tried Snitz and Knepp? It's an old Pennsylvania German recipe, basically ham with dried apples (snitz) and dumplings (knepp). My Grandma used to make it when we were kids and I wouldn't touch the stuff. Now, I'm kind of curious and I think I'll make it when I dry some of the apples. Here's one recipe, if anybody is interested (it really doesn't look that bad; I don't know why I wouldn't eat it):

Snitz and Knepp

For the snitz:

1-1/2 pounds of cured ham or 1 ham hock

2 cups dried apples

2 tablespoons brown sugar

For the knepp:

2 cups flour

3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg, beaten

2 tablespoons butter

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk

Snitz: Wash dried apples, cover with water and soak overnight. In the morning, cover ham with cold water and cook slowly for three hours. Add apples, water, and brown sugar, then allow to cook for one more hour.

Knepp: Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in beaten egg and melted butter. Add milk until batter is stiff. Drop batter by spoonfuls into boiling ham and apples. Cover pan tightly and cook dumplings 10 to 12 minutes. Do not lift cover until ready to serve.

Serves 8

Tell us about how you eat apples!

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not much of an apple eater but hubby is.  He loves Fujis and eats one for dessert almost every night.  They have to be cold, straight out of the fridge, and he puts salt on them!  

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the last couple years, I've been preferring Fuji apples - ones that are small, sweet, moist, and a little tender. I only eat them as they are - no special recipes here.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like pretty much any apple but Red Delicious, they tend to have a mealy texture.   If I had a favorite it would be Honeycrisp but I rarely buy them because I don't like paying extra for them.  I think my favorite apple dessert would be apple crisp though I also like a good apple pie.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm not much of an apple eater but hubby is.  He loves Fujis and eats one for dessert almost every night.  They have to be cold, straight out of the fridge, and he puts salt on them!  
My boyfriend salts his also sometimes.  

I've gotten him to stop by reading him the riot act about high blood pressure 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually buy Gala, I don't like 'mealy' apples like Red Delicious. I am growing a Honey-crisp tree right now in the orchard and it gave me three apples in it's second year. They were VERY good! I can't wait for it to really start bearing. Winchester, you would like our place, my husband got a good deal at the end of the year on a bunch of trees and he planted 20 of them around our place. They are all apple! They each gave us about 5 apples this year (the year after we planted them) I may be in the apple business in a few years!

Last edited:

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Organic Gala.

There are 12 types of produce that are covered in pesticide and apples are one of em.

Who can resist an apple crisp with Granny/Pippens?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found a variety called Sweet Tango that is amazing!  Sweet but tart all at once.  It might be the perfect apple!  A close second is the Pink Lady variety.  I really love apples!!

I'm pretty traditional when it comes to using them though.  A pan of apple crisp is inhaled around here in no time!  My mother makes a great stuffing that has cranberries and diced apples!  I request it every Thanksgiving!!  I used to hate stuffing; and normally mixing sweet and savory is not something I like.  But that stuffing...good!  Making the apple pies for our family holiday dinner is always my job.  My Mom does applesauce.  I love slicing an apple to eat with maple almond butter!!  So good!  (We have a peanut allergy in the house...)  Caramel dip is good with them too of course!  I don't mind just eating them plain too.  

I'm actually on a little break from apples right now.  I've had too many....there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.  
  We went to a local orchard a few weeks ago and I'm still finishing off the box of Braeburn apples we picked.  I might make an apple cake tomorrow. 

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is your favorite apple? What's your favorite apple dessert? Do you add apples to any main dishes? What's your favorite way to eat an apple? If you'd like, add your favorite apple recipe, too!

I always liked eating Granny Smith apples because they were sort of tart and ALWAYS crunchy.
My mom used to make apple crumble on occasion for dessert, omg, so good. I wish I knew how to make it!
Fruit is my go-to snack and we always have apples in the fridge.
Fav way to eat an apple is sliced, skin still on.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I like pretty much any apple but Red Delicious, they tend to have a mealy texture.   If I had a favorite it would be Honeycrisp but I rarely buy them because I don't like paying extra for them.  I think my favorite apple dessert would be apple crisp though I also like a good apple pie.
i used to think the same about macintosh apples. but last year i was given about a half bushel of fresh from the orchard macintosh apples and they were not even remotely mealy textured. my theory is that apples tend to get mealy from how and what length of time they're stored -- no proof of this, just my theory. i live in an area that has many, many apple orchards, so these days the apples i buy are very fresh. i only eat raw apples during apple season, and stick with fruits that are in season when i buy them at the grocery stores. so i guess what i'm saying is that red delicious apples may not start out being mealy textured, but if they're not stored properly or for too long they (or any variety of apple) may become mealy textured.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey crisp and Granny Smith are my faves! Always tasty as is.

Desserty-wise, I love apples with cinnamon. Whether in a hot drink, a pie or the things like the spiced apple fritters that I made for Thanksgiving. I also made apple cinnamon schnapps last year.

Sliced apples with chocolate or caramel fondue is also nice.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i like apples very much. i'd say the kind of tart varieties are my favorites, except i can't eat them because the make my teeth hurt. so i stick with the varieties that aren't tart for eating raw, but will use the tart kinds for baking or in apple sauce or apple butter.

i don't really have a favorite apple dessert. i make apple pies, crisps, cakes, crumbles, and bars -- i like variety. i usually freeze chunks of apples so i'll have them for baking until the next years apple season. this year i may make and can some apple pie filling.

i make a slow cooker pork (loin), kielbasa, and sauerkraut that i always add apples to.

i love to eat fresh apples. during apple season i keep an 8 cup plastic storage container full of apple chunks in the fridge. i snack on those through the day most days.

this year i've made and frozen 3 batches of apple butter in the slow cooker, and two batches of chunky applesauce which has been frozen too. i've got the rest of a bundt dutch apple cake in the fridge right now too. i plan on making and canning a batch of apple butter bbq sauce coming up very soon.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard that apples and pork is a good combination but I haven't tried it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot my other favorite....  Apple Cider Slushies!  They are truly amazing!  One of the local orchards makes them with their own cider.  Mmmm mmm goooooood!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Can I say apple cider too?

I grew up in the South West of England, apple cider was a favourite tipple. We used to call it Scrumpy. I think I started drinking it when I was about 14. My mum let me have some, not realising it contained alcohol. She must have thought it was healthier than other drinks as it was made from local apples.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The slushies I'm talking about are non-alcoholic.  I've never tried hard cider.  That would probably be very good and appropriate at the end of this crazy week. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
When I first came to Japan I saw cans of Mitsui Cider in the vending machines and I thought "Hurray, Cider!" Sadly Japanese cider is non-alcoholic lemonade that doesn't even taste of apples.