Question of the Day, Friday, November 1

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adding Child's World (huge toy store) and Ann & Hope.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a Sears hometown store here in my little town up until a few months ago.I really liked to be able to go in and get an appliance or some of their tools.They were hubby's favorite!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom do you remember the huge Sears store located in the Fenway? I only have one memory of that store and it wasn't a very good one. I was maybe 3 years old and had disappeared into the middle of one of those circular clothing racks, just playing around like any bored kid who would rather look at toys than adult clothes. A store employee yelled at me 😒

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Way, way, way too many to mention.
It's the little ones that have been eaten up by the huge generic companies.
There will come a time where small, personal shops won't exist and I think we're well on the way to it.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Woolworth's, best cheeseburgers
A&P, a grocery store here in Ohio
O'Neil's-a department store that had a tearoom. They had the best potpies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 So many on this list. Touraines, Jordan Marsh, Linen & Things, Leachmere, Ann & Hope, Zayres, Bradley’s.

when Sears was reliable for appliances, etc

I remember the huge Sears in The Fenway - never went there.

Do you remember Service Merchandise?

Oh, and the original Filene’s Basement?? I remember when I was small, my mom would rake me in there. We would take the bus to the train station and then the T, into Boston. The herds of people lining up before opening, and the stampede to get in! It was a madhouse! My mom would make a “seat” from her bundles, for me to sit on, while she went around the table.

Then we would go to Woolworths for a grilled cheese and to Jordan’s for a soft serve vanilla ice cream. That was my Treat.

You could get some real bargains there for really cheap money. I love to play dress up. I was a big girl. My mom was able to get me a real dress and a pair of high heels, blue, which fit me, for next to nothing.

I saw and felt my fist mink coat there. As I was sitting, I had to touch it. The woman wearing it, did not mind. The mink stoles freaked me out; the heads were still attached, with beady eyes- as a child, I was disgusted by them— and afraid.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So many on this list. Touraines,
I remember Touraines. There was one in Coolidge Corner that Mom took me to all the time.

Do you remember Service Merchandise?
Yes. I vaguely recall ever going in, though. I do remember my great uncle bought a huge diamond ring there once for himself. Why, I don't know. He just liked to spend money on flashy things :dunno: I do remember the huge catalog / flyer that came in the Sunday paper, especially the Christmas one.

Oh, and the original Filene’s Basement??
I don't recall ever going to the original basement store, not even when Mom took us upstairs to the main Filenes store. I remember looking down the stairs that lead into the basement store and wishing we could go shop down there. Jordan Marsh had something similar in their basement and I know we shopped there frequently. The basement was very warm and stuffy and I remember a child passing out because of it and a crowd of people surrounding the child.

Have you ever gone past the third floor of the main Filenes? There was like 3 more floors and a sign at the narrow escalator that leads to the fourth floor that indicated what was on the upper levels. The fourth floor (I think?) just said "fountain" and I always wanted to go look but Mom never allowed it.

Then we would go to Woolworths for a grilled cheese and to Jordan’s for a soft serve vanilla ice cream.
I recall having lunch at Woolworth's once. It wasn't anything memorable. We always stopped at Jordan Marsh for at least one box of blueberry muffins :yummy: I always wanted those almost comically huge flat lollipop with the swirls that were on display at the registers.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Toys R Us, Caldor, Woolworths.

I am most sad about Toys R Us but they are still alive through a partnership with Target. If you buy anything from the website, it re-routes you to Target. According to Wikipedia, they are being resurrected with new, smaller stores but will they still have that charm and vibe that so many of us loved? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toys_"R"_Us

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FAO Schwarz no longer has a local store :frown: The company just has the flagship store in a new location in Manhattan now. The revamped online store doesn't have much and what is available is pricey.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So many ...

These off the top of my head:
Two big department stores - Simpsons & Eatons. Then Sears. All three used to have Christmas catalogs. 🎄
Smaller department stores: Zellers, Woolworths, Kresges, K-Mart, Woolco

Now the only large department store left is The Bay. And replacing all the smaller ones, we got Walmart. :frown: