Question of the Day, Friday, November 1

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good Morning! :wave3: And happy Friday! :yess: One more working week bites the dust!

Which store did you used to shop at that is no longer around? Maybe it moved out of your area. Maybe it closed its door completely. Is there a certain store that you always enjoyed shopping in that you can no longer do so?

With me, it was Penny's. I was always a big Penny's girl. I liked their Worthington brand and their ANA brand for clothing. There was a larger two-story store about 60 miles away that had the neatest holiday tablecloths and bed linens. We shopped at JCP quite a bit, both Rick and me. Three of the JCPs around our area all shut down. And while I can shop online, I still would like to physically shop there. It's a shame.

Any special store for you?

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a teen, Zellers and Blockbuster - Both long gone!

Recently, my local Coles bookstore has closed :bawling: Now there are no bookstores! Other than one used one; which is great of course, but at least with Coles had some more recent things too and get points and specials. The next closest Indigo/Coles is about an hour away. They closed mainly because the mall was going through a total revamp and instead of reopening in a new spot like all the other stores they figured it wasn't worth the bother to reopen at all.

I don't mind ordering online on occasion, can get some great bookies from there. But I miss the opportunity to enjoy the experience the aura and exploration of a bookstore. And not interesting in digital stuff, other than for travel.

I'll just overdramatically wail in needless self pity.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Woolworths, Bradlees, Caldor, Zayer, Lechmere, Jordan Marsh, Filenes, Purity Supreme (supermarket), Heartland (supermarket), Weathervane, Linens and Things, Pad and Pencil...

artiemom artiemom :wave3:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to have a chain of grocery stores in the Chicago area that closed. For the life of me, I can't remember its name, but it had good products at reasonable prices.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sears, Super Duper, Loblaws, and Acme (groceries), Hills, Century (catalog sales), Montgomery Ward, Western Auto, Noah's Ark, and W.T. Grant (department stores).

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mervyn's is the one that seems prominent in my memory from childhood. I haven't seen a Kmart for years in my area either until like two weeks ago when I was driving to my night class and I passed one in a residential part of Minneapolis. A lot of Big Lots have closed in my area as well. The closest ones to me are still 20+ miles away and I will occasionally drive out to one because it is either near my favorite hiking location or on my way to my parents' house.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LeeWards, Old America, White's Concrete and Pottery, and the yarn section at Foley's. I used to be a serious arts & crafts addict, what can I say? :lol:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Linens n Things, Mervyns. Drug Emporium, Kirklands (they may have some locations but not around here) Cub Foods ( discount warehouse grocery store), Steinmart, Woolworths, a store in a mall nearby that had great cotton sweaters from Peru - can't remember the name.

It is sad that so many B & M stores are gone. but on the other hand, it is great to have Amazon and be able to shop hundreds of stores without leaving home -and THEY BRING IT TO YOU! I just ordered a small chest freezer - it would have been a real pain to have to lug it home.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carson Pirie Scott & Marshall Field. Field's was taken over by Macy's but they ran it into the ground and it was never the same. :mad: Field's had the best window displays at the holidays and the best dining experience at the Walnut Room.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Zellers and Sears were my go to stores back in the day. Zellers closed down and I think Sears did too.

We went for the prices mostly. Especially their warehouse stores because you could find good clothing and stuff for a lot cheaper. Now, it's harder.