Question Of The Day, Friday, May 25

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

In which area do you live? Urban, Suburban, or Rural?

We are very rural here in central Pennsylvania. We have to drive to town (only about 7.5 miles). There are no stores or restaurants within walking distance. For years, we only had dial-up and then, finally, several years ago, our local cable provider decided to do cable internet. On our road, you will find houses, but also Amish and Mennonite farms with signs that say "Baking on Fridays" or "Handwoven Baskets" or "Eggs for Sale". We co-exist with Amish buggies and horses. Our supermarkets have separate parking spaces for buggies and bicycle racks for the Amish to park their bikes. They use our Rail Trails to get back and forth to town on their bikes, too; it's safer than the roads. We hear donkeys and roosters in the morning and there is always talk in the neighborhood about the newest bears that are coming around.

What about you? Where do you live?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Very, very rural. As in no other neighbours for the colder parts of the year and deer and wild boar walking past the house. There are other houses close by, but we don't have a proper paved road, just a dirt track.

I love it here though.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Fairly rural. I live on a dirt road and I have a few neighbors. No neighbors for a quarter mile in one direction. The closest store/gas station is about three miles away. But there are four restaurants within 3 miles, and three of them are pretty good! :thumbsup:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Suburban.. though it's starting to feel more like a city than a town. New apartment buildings are popping up and more traffic.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
It's a mix of urban and country. We have no big stores in the area of my home. There's a super walmart 5 miles down the road and we are less than a mile from downtown but it's a small town-no Dunkin Donuts! There's a few eatery places that are so so. The good ones closed shop n moved. So I prefer to grab a bite to eat close to work-it's cheaper and yummier.
We are surrounded by numerous small lakes and ponds, rivers! I love clear clean water so there's a ton of places to boat and kayak! Oh and the ocean but it's cramped with tourists during the summer and no parking! If one goes up to Maine there's better beaches with less congestion but more rocks.
I wish we had bike paths instead of 6 inches of road edge to fight with the cars for riding.
Your area sounds like heaven Winchester. I love the country. I can't stand city stuff or the noise/smells.
In my area we have lots of woods and gardens. 15 minutes out by car it's definitely country with rolling hills and woods. I want to move further north where there's big plots of land between people. Right now our area has 1/4 acre on average-if the taxes weren't so ridiculously high I would have bought a bigger place with lots of land..maybe next lifetime!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rural as in they don’t even deliver the mail. Woods mostly. It is changing though. There is a migration from the city. It used to be quiet here. We still have some deer and wildlife but more two legged now than four. Lol Still see my fox, raccoons, opossum, flying squirrels, nice variety of birds. There are bobcats and coyotes. Reports of a bear but I can barely believe it. Lots of different and unusual plant life. Wild orchids included. Wetlands around here. Just a mile away is a river. I love the cypress trees. In heavy rains I could use a small boat in places!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rural/small town, though it is considered part of the "greater Sioux Falls metropolitan area". I have an acreage about 5 miles from the nearest town, which has about 900 people. I have one nearby neighbor (just on the other side of the treeline) and about 3 others within 2 miles. There's a hog confinement less than a mile away but because of the direction the wind usually blows I don't smell it too often. There's a farm field surrounding my property, the farmer alternates corn and soybeans. It's soybeans this year :D.

My place is on the highway and about 4 miles from the nearest water source so I don't have as much wildlife as I would if I were closer to water and farther from traffic. I've never seen deer or signs of deer on my property. I used to have a groundhog but something must have happened to him because there hasn't been any fresh digging for about a year. Foxes had a den under the old shed one year but they never came back, maybe they didn't like the dogs barking at them (since I'm on the highway the dogs are fenced of course). There are a ton of birds and rabbits, a few squirrels. I have a thriving colony of barn swallows in one of the outbuildings, I love those little guys.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very rural. 20 miles to the closest town and it's a little town. 5000 and that includes the outlying areas. No mail and only septic and well.i have a couple of neighbors about 1/4-1/2 mile away. Lots of wildlife. Very quiet. However, this being a holiday weekend, everyone from Phoenix is going to be up here in the mountains. Ugh.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suburban. I've lived in suburbs all my life. There are sidewalks throughout my subdivision, and people take evening walks every day. People are friendly, speak to you while out for walks, and look out for you. We are near to a forest preserve, which is actually a prairie reserve, that is full of wildlife that occasionally spills over into our community. Churches, stores, a hospital, and restaurants are nearby, within five minutes driving time. Downtown is ten minutes away, and it's full of small, unique shops. There are parades, concerts, an award-winning library, and cultural events constantly. We have three animal shelters and a no-kill pound. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Bella’s mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very rural, I’m about 5 min from the beach, lots of people, it’s dreadful
I would love to,live in the country, more animals :D

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's like an urban suburban, especially compared to the suburban I grew up in. There are the urban hallmarks of alleys and one way streets and lots of street parking/lack of lots, but also trees and parks and people walking around outside. I quite like it.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess suburban/small town would be the closest. I live in a city of less than 40,000 people in the Canadian prairies. The side of town I live on is like its own small town separated from the rest of town by a river, though we're still a part of the city. That said, my neighbourhood is on the edge of town; there are farmers' fields as far as the eye can see only two blocks from my house.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Suburban/small town here also.
I can't really call it suburban - that conjures up homes with more land than most have in my area. Houses are pretty clustered on small lots, and we're very close to all kinds of good shopping and other perks for recreation but the town itself hasn't many amenities (like, no supermarket, no bakery, very few choices for food delivery).
I live down the block from everything one could need in any kind of emergency but it's a quiet neighborhood considering the proximity to all else. One could easily walk to the train station from nearly anywhere in town (in fact, I walked home the other night while my car was being serviced - it's about 1/2 mile) but, you do need a car to do much else.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it is suburban where I am, but I wish it were rural! When I was growing up here 50 years ago, I would say it was rural/suburban. We could walk a long way in the woods, seeing so much wildlife and I do miss that. Today, there is not much untouched land in my town. For me, it feels congested, but that is only my personal feeling. Around dinner time there are cars going by the house every few seconds which makes it hard to hear the birds, but it does quiet down at night to hear the crickets!

Within ten miles of me, there are six supermarkets!

Last edited: