Question of the Day, Friday, May 15

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

Let's talk about our computers. What computer are you using? Do you have a desktop, laptop, tablet, or do you use your phone? Where do you usually sit while on your device? Do you like what you're using or do you have your eye on something new?

We have a Dell desktop with Win10 in our spare bedroom (we call it the computer room). I'm usually on the desktop. When I'm in the shed, I use our Toshiba laptop. And when I'm lounging in bed or on the couch, I'll use my iPad. I never use my phone, largely because I have fat fingers and really mess up if I try to do much on my phone. Our desktop is not all that old; about a year, so I'm not looking for anything new. Rick used to have a desktop that ran Vista; when it died, we decided not to get another one. He uses my desktop or, if he needs to do union stuff, he'll go out to the shed and use the laptop.

What about you? What do you use to get online?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I usually use either the desktop or my phone, sometimes the laptop. I'm sitting at the kitchen table right now, and I'll also sit in the backyard or in a recliner in the living room. We like these devices, we're not going to get new phones until we absolutely have to 👍

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We both have laptops. Mine is a HP and I am not really thrilled with it. I run the scans on it regularly and it never finds anything yet it will freeze for several minutes at a time. I use my phone a lot, but since I cracked the screen (being the klutz that I am) it hurts my fingertips to use it. I am not replacing it until it dies! This phone is fairly new. It slipped off the table and hit the ceramic tile floor and cracked. I always sit at the table, drinking my coffee when I am on the computer. It is my quiet time in the morning.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele has a desktop. And a laptop. And a tablet. And a smartphone. Me? I have a tablet. I mostly use it upstairs where it is quieter. Mine is a Samsung Galaxy Tab E

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs There are companies that replace a cracked screen on a phone. A while ago Himself damaged his phone that way, found a company across the river in - think it was Bethleham PA. They could do it in hours, once he got a repair slot. But there's nothing for him to do in town while waiting. So he mailed it to them and they mailed it back. If you really like your phone, why not see if you cannot find a place in MA that could fix it.

I have an elderly laptop that is used not at all. The battery runs down between looking at it this year and last year.

PC is a Sony Viao running Windows 7. I also have a Windows 10 machine but dislike the operating system so much I don't use it.

And the only thing I (used to) use my phone for was calling Himself from the store to see what flavor of ice cream he wanted.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an HP laptop w/ touch screen. It runs Windows 10...I think? I use it sitting in "my spot" on the couch. I don't have any other type of technology...not even a phone. I'm satisfied with what I have, not looking for anything else, although I may have to get on board with getting a phone soon...society is making not having one more and more difficult...but I'm holding out as long as I can.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What computer are you using? Do you have a desktop, laptop, tablet, or do you use your phone? Where do you usually sit while on your device? Do you like what you're using or do you have your eye on something new?
I love my desktop. I sit in my computer chair in my bedroom, at the desk. My brother got me a tablet, but I never use it. It just seems so small! How could I ever type my long messages on that? I should join the land of the living and get a smartphone.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro Laptop; along with an iPhone 10XR. My last phone was an iPhone 5. The battery was swelling, so I had to replace it.

I am downloading all the updates; so I can keep it as current as the technology will allow.

After having my first Dell computer, a demon computer--from day one. I decided to switch to Apple. I am not unhappy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an HP laptop that probably hasn't left the closet in a year. I should sell it. I have a tablet, a new Galaxy Tab A with 128Gb, because the old 16Gb kept getting full of Netflix shows, lol. I still have the 16Gb, it's slightly damaged from a drop so I'm not sure if I should sell it or just fill it with games and let kids play with it.

But I mostly use my phone, anywhere and everywhere. I'm one of those "it's a telephone too?" types ;). It's only about 1 1/2 years old so I'm not planning on a new one any time soon, but phones do tend to self-destruct after a few years. All of my old ones just stopped taking a charge, that's basically the only reason I get a new phone. I hate learning how to use a new model.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Dell desktop at home. It's a little over a year old. I have a Fire tablet but haven't used that in awhile. I also have a smartphone.

I think a future home computer will be a Surface. I miss the Surface I had at the previous job :frown: It's so light and thin. I can use it as laptop or as a tablet.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I decided to switch to Apple. I am not unhappy.
Working in a school for so many years we only used Apple computers. My own kids grew up with Apple as well. I've found their motto, "user friendly" to ring true. DH has an older Apple desktop and I have a Mac laptop. I can usually be found sitting on the sofa with Carleton by my side when I'm on it. :catlove:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad still uses a flip phone. They threatened him with it being deactivated due to switching to digital but apparently something happened to change that. His friend has a smartphone, though, that he got a couple years ago, and even though he resisted at first, now he can't stop googling stuff, lol. It's cute how excited he gets about it.

I think everyone should have a cell phone of some sort, even just a Jitterbug or burner phone. There really aren't any pay phones left, it's basically a necessity.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a Dell laptop that's less than a year old but it does strange things like the cursor pointy thing will just freeze or disappear completely sometimes. I'm not keen on it although in its defence, I do think I possess an unwanted superpower. Any electronic device I get usually goes wonky sooner than it should. I must emit some weird electromagnetic waves or something. Mrs boosh says it's because I drop them now and again but I'm not buying that, it's my superpower to blame.
She also says that I'm on it too much and I agree but I'm addicted to YouTube. I have fads on themes that last a few weeks at a time. It's an eclectic mix of astronomy, comedy, magic tricks, US politics and all sorts of varied stuff.
I use it whilst sitting on my sofa, usually with Oliver impeding me as in the pic below but I wouldn't change that for the World. He can do no wrong in my eyes.
That's not the Dell, that's one my superpower broke some time ago.

IMG_0048.JPG

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a computer and two I pads - a regular and a Mini and an IPhone. The mini is perfect for travel which I used to do a lot of. I mostly use it now to control and monitor electronics at my mom’s house.

My main screen time is on my regular IPad and my day time home base is my dining room table. The windows there overlook the backyard which is my other source of daytime entertainment. Throughout the day I flip between a few different Forum type websites, Twitter and YouTube, with a few games thrown in, and the jigsaw on the table. I found this stand for my IPad maybe ten years ago and I love it. There are magnets in my IPad case that stick to the metal stand so it sits on it very solidly and let’s me move it around without it falling off or tipping over. Couldnt get by without it.

D491FA03-9620-4C3A-9888-7C2AB3E340EC.jpeg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you kidding? I'm still using a flip phone- no camera, mind you- that I got from Radio Shack over 20 years ago. I believe I paid around $20 for it.
I had a flip phone that I LOVED until about five years ago when I forgot to take it out of my waist pouch while detecting in the water. I was wading when it began this frantic buzzing, dying and not doing it quietly. I felt so bad! Moving on was hard, first to a cheap “smart“ phone that was anything but and then to a slider phone that had a dozen quirks to using it. When my cable company, Xfinity offered what amounted to unlimited calling free wireless if you supplied your own phone I made the leap to an IPhone and it has been wonderful.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm on a HP laptop at the kitchen table at the moment. I also use my phone wherever I am. We also have a desktop but I don't use it as often now that I have the laptop. DH uses it more. I have my kindle e-reader and somewhere I still have my fire. My kids both have Kindle Fires for school and fun. I don't need anything for myself but I am debating getting a laptop for the kids for school. There are some virtual classes I'm looking at for DD next year. She's getting older and independent; so it would be good to have her own device. Unless we just use the desktop for her first.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My desktop died and I can't get it fixed until the lockdown is over, so I'm stuck with this Samsung tablet. I hate it. It does all sorts of weird things, like typing symbols #[÷& from the alpha keyboard, sliding pages ahead when reading a book, or going incognito when I want to change a bookmark. I have a cellphone, but I don't turn it on often or give out the number because I hate to carry it around and to keep charging it. I love the desktop and sorely miss it.