Question Of The Day, Friday, March 30

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess: We are at the beginning of a three-day weekend for both of us.

@Mother Dragon asked me this question one time and it got me thinking. Do you tend to have more male or female cats in your house? Or is it an even mix? Do you prefer boys or girls or does it matter to you?

While we've had a mix of both girls and boys in our lives, I think we've had more girls. But that's just how it worked out.

Boys: Peanut Butter, Hydrox, Pita, Spike, Stretch, BooBoo, Da Pumpkin Boy
Girls: Whisper, Bootser, Taffy, Gorby, Ms. Pepe, Banshee, Mollipop, Tabby, Muffin

I've had three :redheartpump: kitties in my life: Hydrox, Banshee, and Mollipop. While I've loved many cats and adore the ones we have, those three are very special kids to me. Banshee, especially, was the feline love of my life; she was simply such a special little girl. Rick even used to say that, while we may be lucky enough to have a thousand cats in our lives, there will only ever be one Queen B. And that is true.

What about you? Boys? Girls? Both?

Last edited:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boys-Pepper, Lucky, Peanut, Beau, Charlie

Girls-Sophie, Belle, Selene

My cats have come to me in various ways, so I would ascribe my having more boys to chance. I don't really have a preference.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I have more boys than girls, three to one. All of my cats were born here, are all related, so it was definitely by chance. My little girl Molly, is fast becoming a special one, I resisted for so long because of the heartache of losing my 'soulmates', Chrissy and Burt, but she is so lovable, so charming, and insists on cuddles and head bumps constantly, she is hard to resist. And then there is Tommy, or 'Yammy' as we call him because he is the color of yams. His little personality, his strut, his beautiful round face with those huge eyes and his long flowing hair makes him a special one too. They both insist on being loved. I don't have a preference, although USUALLY boys are more cuddly, they come as they come!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Both

My Boys-Nikki, Jordy, Lily-Butch
My Girls-Celeste, Kirsten, Lena, Vincie girl, Callie

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a boy and a girl. Not on purpose, just wound up that way.
My husband has had many cats throughout his life and I'm fairly sure it's also been a mixture. I only had one other cat, decades ago, that was female. But I didn't pick her - she came along with an ex. Makes no difference to me what sex the cat is.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've had both also and never really gave it a second thought. Each cat has it's own unique and individual personality whether male or female so the sex of the cat never really mattered to me.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've had more boys then girls, 7-3. I prefer boys though. Just bad experiences with the two girls before Rocket and always had boys before that.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Before school age: Female-- sweet, sweet kitty.. I named her: Bo Bo.....she allowed me to dress her in doll clothes and put her in my doll carriage.

Adult: Pumpkin.. she turned out to be my mom's soul kitty

Now: Artie, my first male kitty.. my soul kitty

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purely by chance, mostly females. I think female strays tend to try to find themselves a home, while toms just want to fight and wander until they get themselves killed :/.

I tend to prefer males but my "favorite" right now is a little girl so it all depends on the personality.

My mom has 5 females. My brother has 4 males. It's weird how that works out.

Last edited:

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
We have mostly females. Out of the four "main" cats, only one is a guy, Willy.

IMG_9842.JPG

I don't have a preference for male or female cats, though.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the moment I have more girls than boys, and minus the one (Tippy Toes) they have been by chance - at the end of the day of course, gender really doesn't matter and would always love everyone equally. But given the choice, I definitely prefer and adore lady animals overall.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a female dog as a child and never wanted a male as I’ve seen males hump legs .. when I went to get a kitten I was moved towards a female as I’d read about boy cats spraying ! Now I know if they are fixed that may not happen, I may be open to a boy cat one day . For now Gracie is my baby girl although she is not cuddly at all which annoys me sometimes !

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only had one cat in my life. I was hoping for a calico, so I knew if I found one she'd be a girl, which she is.

My bf's cat is also female. She was a stray kitten when he took her in so he didn't go out looking for a girl.

But I don't know if it's a preference at this point, as much as I love the girls. I think I'd be happy with a male cat, too.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have 8 cats that I adopted from my feral colony. They were all from the same family. There was 3 girls and 5 boys. All the boys were red boys. I don't have a choice over which sex I would like to have. They were all the sweetest cats in the world. Buddy was my soul mate.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have two girls and one boy, right now. :D i love all cats, whether they're male or female. i do tend to prefer the males though, because many times they're so lovey. although, our DeeDee is the most snuggly, loving little girl that i think i've ever known. :redheartpump:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Girls: Spare Kitty, Betsy and Mattie
Boys: Smoke, Shop Cat alias Samuel, Max, Speedboat, Muffin, Snoop.
I hope I didn't leave anyone out.
I loved them all. I really did. In my opinion, males make the best pets. Just my experience.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We've had a pretty even mix. Right now we have two boys and two girls. I have no preference, really. They all have their endearing qualities :hearthrob: and their irritating quirks. :angrywoman:

Love them all. :heartshape:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Girls:
  • Sweet Thing :rbheart: My heart kitty.
  • Dulcie :rbheart: Sweet Thing's daughter.
  • Velvet :rbheart: Sweet Thing's daughter.
  • Silky :rbheart: Sweet Thing's daughter.
  • Pretzel :rbheart: This cat chose Roger, but loved both of us.
  • Floppy :rbheart: We agreed to take her in until a no-kill shelter had an opening, and she stayed for 11 years. ;)
  • Jasmine.
Boys:
  • Nimbus :rbheart: Sweet Thing's son.
Of Sweet Thing's kittens, Nimbus was the most aggressive. He bullied his poor mother into allowing him to nurse long after weening (he was bigger than she was at that point!); he wandered far afield; and he was very interested in his sisters, even after they'd been spayed. We waited too long to have him neutered. When we've been looking for new cats we haven't found many cuddly males; so many of them are left intact too long and end up aggressive as a result. Partly this is because my state has an idiotic law that forbids shelters to neuter tom cats at the best age; it requires them to wait much too long (though owners and vets are allowed to make their own decisions on that).

Our standard has always been that we adopt the cats we fall in love with, and who fall in love with us, and all the cats we've adopted have been female, not because we're looking for females but because those are the ones we fall in love with and/or are chosen by.

Margret