Question of the Day, Friday, March 13

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday, the 13th!

Easy question this morning: What time do you usually eat dinner?

Around here dinner is usually around 5:00 or so, at least throughout the week and on Saturdays. I like to have an earlier dinner on Sunday, so we might eat around 3:00 or so. Once the weather warms up and we're outside on Sundays, dinner will be around 5 or 6.

What about you? What is your dinner time?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we both get up so early, me 4 AM, we eat our one meal of the day at around 3 o'clock, sometimes two. As we have gotten older we don't eat near as much and go to bed earlier. My husband has a bowl of bran flakes in the morning. This brings up another interesting question....why is the noon meal lunch for some and dinner for others? Is it locality? We have always called the evening meal around here supper. Supper actually means 'evening meal', but also means a lighter meal of the day. I guess we are supposed to eat the heaviest at noon which makes sense to burn off those calories. When someone says 'dinner' I always have to ask which meal they are talking about!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since we both get up so early, me 4 AM, we eat our one meal of the day at around 3 o'clock, sometimes two. As we have gotten older we don't eat near as much and go to bed earlier. My husband has a bowl of bran flakes in the morning. This brings up another interesting question....why is the noon meal lunch for some and dinner for others? Is it locality? We have always called the evening meal around here supper. Supper actually means 'evening meal', but also means a lighter meal of the day. I guess we are supposed to eat the heaviest at noon which makes sense to burn off those calories. When someone says 'dinner' I always have to ask which meal they are talking about!
It's a location thing. We always called the afternoon meal lunch and the evening meal dinner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When Rick's parents and then my parents retired, they switched their heaviest meal to lunch. And then had leftovers or a sandwich or such for their dinner. When Rick and I retired, I asked him what he wanted to do (switch to a heavier lunch? stay with dinner?). He said to just keep things as they are and that's what we've done. So, for now anyway, we're eating our larger meal at dinner time.

My parents always called it breakfast, dinner, and supper. Rick's parents called it breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We pretty much call it breakfast, lunch, and dinner, although sometimes I'll still call it supper.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
We used to eat dinner (supper) at 6-6:30 but because I work so early, we eat at 5ish. I grew up in Chicago, there it’s breakfast, lunch and supper. It’s also common in the south if I’m not mistaken...

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We keep odd hours, so we eat between 8 and 10 pm. The only time that changes is holidays when it changes to around 7.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I frequently eat dinner at 8 p.m. because I'm a slow riser in the morning.

About what we call it, from the history buff. In Tudor times, everyone ate dinner at 10:30 to 11 a.m. If anyone was hungry after that, they had supper. This routine - breakfast, dinner, supper - continued up until the Industrial Revolution, when so many people were working that they couldn't come home for dinner. Dinner then shifted to the evening hours and lunch came at midday. But in agrarian communities, largely the southern US, they continued to have dinner in the middle of the day. We've come to calling the largest meal of the day "dinner."

In 18th Century France, the courtiers slept until noon or later, then had breakfast. The court routinely had dinner at 8 or 9 p.m., so one of noble women started serving tea with sandwiches and small cakes about 4 or 5 p.m., so no one was famished by dinnertime. The English adopted this practice and still call supper "tea" sometimes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up in Chicago, there it’s breakfast, lunch and supper.
I was born and raised in the windy city, (still live there), but always called it dinner as did our neighbors. Just out of curiosity did you live in the city proper or the surrounding suburbs? I noticed you live in OR now, lucky! :thumbsup: I love that area of the country.

We usually eat dinner between 6:00 - 6:30.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I frequently eat dinner at 8 p.m. because I'm a slow riser in the morning.

About what we call it, from the history buff. In Tudor times, everyone ate dinner at 10:30 to 11 a.m. If anyone was hungry after that, they had supper. This routine - breakfast, dinner, supper - continued up until the Industrial Revolution, when so many people were working that they couldn't come home for dinner. Dinner then shifted to the evening hours and lunch came at midday. But in agrarian communities, largely the southern US, they continued to have dinner in the middle of the day. We've come to calling the largest meal of the day "dinner."

In 18th Century France, the courtiers slept until noon or later, then had breakfast. The court routinely had dinner at 8 or 9 p.m., so one of noble women started serving tea with sandwiches and small cakes about 4 or 5 p.m., so no one was famished by dinnertime. The English adopted this practice and still call supper "tea" sometimes.
Wow, thanks for the history lesson and answering the question for the difference in what we call our meals!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Weekdays, we eat dinner around 6:30ish or so. I get home around 6pm and I try not to do anything too complicated, keep it simple so we don't eat too late. Weekends it can vary depending on how early or late we ate lunch if at all. So could be 4pm or 7pm. It fluctuates but tends to be a lot earlier than weekdays.