Question of the Day, Friday, March 12

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

My turn to get up with the girls this morning. Amber usually has me awake by 4:30 with her yelling for breakfast. We never actually get up until 6:00. You'd think she'd realize that, but well, I guess hope springs eternal when you're a cat. Usually, once I'm up, I'm up to stay, but once in a while, I'm too pooped and I'll go back to bed for an hour or two. I don't do naps that often at all as I'm usually doing things around the house. I think if I could sleep until 6:00 in the morning without Amber screaming, I'd be OK and could stay awake.

What time do you usually get up in the morning? Once you get up, are you up to stay? Do you ever take naps during the day?

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
During the week I am up at 5:30. I stay up because I clean the house before the kids go on their virtual classes. I can’t nap because they are grade schoolers and they need my assistance. On the weekends or school holidays I sleep until whenever but never past 7. I don’t nap on the weekends.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M-F, I am up at 0230 to get ready for work so I can head out no later than 0340. Sat-Sun, I wake up around 0600 but don't usually get out of bed until 0700. I keep hoping maybe I'll fall back asleep but it never happens. :lol: Once I am up, I am up for the day. I don't nap at all.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love a good nap. Naps are where it’s at! :cloud9:

I typically get up between 9 and 10. DH wakes me before he leaves for work but I often doze off again for a few minutes but sometimes an hour if I didn’t sleep well. My natural cycle leaves me feeling best when sleep from 2-10/10:30. Its just not always possible. I don’t wake up quick either. Sometimes I think I’m awake and then I realize I’m not.:lol:

For a while I was getting up between 8 and 8:30 and I realized I was tired every single day and accomplishing less on the same amount of sleep at a different time. So I stopped living by someone else’s standards.:lol2: When I have to get up before 8:30; like when I worked outside the home, I always felt like I was in some kind of semi-concious fog until about 8:30. Then I’d realize it was like a magical curtain lifted and I was finally with it.:rolleyes2:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My natural cycle leaves me feeling best when sleep from 2-10/10:30
Yeah I think that's my natural cycle too. Haha, too bad! I get up at 6:45 every morning, except Sundays, when I usually get up around 10. I have to be at work at 7:30 Mon-Sat.

I will take a nap whenever possible, lol. Naps are awesome.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get up at 6am. I feed the cats, eat breakfast, drink my water while surfing the internet, then my workout at 7am for an hour, shower & beauty routine, coffee. I hate naps, it feels like wasting the day. I go to bed at 10pm, so I get my 8 hours of sleep.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On workdays, I get up at 5:15 and stay up from then on.
Non workdays, I get up around the same time to feed cats and return to bed for as long as possible.
Sundays, I always take an afternoon nap. Circe looks at me if I'm delayed in the nap like "what's keeping you?" because she likes to join me for those naps (Circe is my 13yo cat whose picture is in the image to the side).

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
When I retired in 2014, I had this dream that I would sleep until about 7 a.m. instead of getting up at 5:30 a.m. Alas, no. I’m still up by 5:30. And when I get up, I’m wide awake unlike my husband who appears to be awake but whose brain is definitely still snug in bed. :)

I don’t nap. That’s another thing I thought I might do, but it doesn’t seem to work out. My husband denies that he falls asleep during the day, but I often find him in the wing chair in the study with his eyes closed and his chin on his chest. :sleep:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I think that's my natural cycle too. Haha, too bad! I get up at 6:45 every morning, except Sundays, when I usually get up around 10. I have to be at work at 7:30 Mon-Sat.

I will take a nap whenever possible, lol. Naps are awesome.
It kinda sucks when half the world thinks you’re lazy for getting the same amount of sleep at a different time. 😏
And when I get up, I’m wide awake unlike my husband who appears to be awake but whose brain is definitely still snug in bed.
That’s my husband and I. Hes up and it and I’m if you try to get me at it too fast...it doesn’t go well. :lol: Sometimes when hes getting in bed at night and I’m feeling chatty he’ll say “you can keep talking; just turn off the light.” Sometimes he’ll just silently close his eyes and pucker up.:lol2: And I’ll tell him “Now you know how I feel in the morning.”:flail:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I retired at the end of 2009, so there's no reason to get up early to go to work. I usually go to bed at around midnight and have too much to do to take a nap during the day.
My partner never goes to bed before 2 am. He spends most of the day "resting his eyes" so it's not surprising that he can't sleep at night and keeps waking me.
On the days I feed the ferals, I get up at about 8 am feed my cats, clean my teeth, splash my face and jump in the car. When I return home I clean the litter boxes and then have a leisurely shower.
Other days, I let my partner get up first and enjoy lying quietly in bed till 9:30, which means I often have to answer the front door to the postman/Amazon/courier in my pyjamas! 🛌 I often wonder what Muslim drivers think of that!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I naturally wake up around 6:00 am, even before the cats are hocking me for breakfast. Probably from working and commuting for decades. I am a morning person for sure. Once awake, that's it for me. I love naps but hardly get a chance to take them unless I'm not feeling well.
Sometimes on the weekend I can make it to 6:30am. If lucky.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
During the weekend, I tend to get up late, like 10 or 11. During the week, I'm supposed to start work at 8, but since I work from home, I've been known to sleep in on some days when I'm just utterly exhausted and know I don't have a lot of work to do. I will sometimes take naps, but I try not to because it'll be harder to sleep that night.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I struggle with my sleep. On really bad nights I am up the whole night, on better nights I wake up 3:30 or 4:00am. I feed outdoor and indoor cats anywhere between 4:30-5am. I try to get 2 to 3 more hours of sleep from there. I tried going to bed earlier for better sleep, but it doesn't work. I am dreading going to the doctor because I don't want to be put on sleeping pills I might get addicted to. I wish I could get better sleep, this is not healthy.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I struggle with my sleep. On really bad nights I am up the whole night, on better nights I wake up 3:30 or 4:00am. I feed outdoor and indoor cats anywhere between 4:30-5am. I try to get 2 to 3 more hours of sleep from there. I tried going to bed earlier for better sleep, but it doesn't work. I am dreading going to the doctor because I don't want to be put on sleeping pills I might get addicted to. I wish I could get better sleep, this is not healthy.
Try Magnesium, if you haven’t already. 100-200 mg a day helps getting to sleep and staying asleep, is a mineral our bodies need and are often deficient in and is non addictive. Also, just in case you eat chocolate, it can have a negative effect on sleep, even more so that caffeinated products.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally I'm up at 6:00. I don't always want to be up at 6:00, but that's about the time Cricket will sit next the bed and start meowing. It's meow....pause pause pause...meow. On and on and on. Miss She-Who-Will-Not-Be-Ignored. Once I get up, I stay up. I'm working from home these days, I used to get up earlier so I could get to work by 7:00. Now my commute is to walk down the stairs, so 6:00 is a good time to get up anyway.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a very irregular sleep schedule. I am definitely more of a night person than a morning person. It isn’t uncommon for me to be up until 4 am, which impacts the time I wake up at. I wake up later than I should- 9-9:30, and on weekends closer to 10:30.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally I'm up at 6:00. I don't always want to be up at 6:00, but that's about the time Cricket will sit next the bed and start meowing. It's meow....pause pause pause...meow. On and on and on. Miss She-Who-Will-Not-Be-Ignored. Once I get up, I stay up. I'm working from home these days, I used to get up earlier so I could get to work by 7:00. Now my commute is to walk down the stairs, so 6:00 is a good time to get up anyway.
I love her nickname! My former Siamese girl was She-Who-Will-Not-Be-Denied.