Question Of The Day, Friday, June 8

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

Easy question this morning: You are making your favorite sandwich. What is it? What all do you put in your favorite sandwich?

I think my absolute favorite sandwich is a Reuben. Thickly sliced toasted rye bread, lots of corned beef and pastrami, a good helping of drained sauerkraut, with several slices of baby Swiss cheese, topped off with a good dollop of 1,000 Island dressing. And then the whole thing goes into the frying pan and covered with the lid, just long enough to melt the cheese. Yum!

What about your favorite sandwich? How do you make it?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't actually remember the last time I ate a sandwich. It's literally been years! Gluten free bread just isn't the same... :sniffle:

If I'm having bread, it's always toast, usually with a thin layer of almond butter and jam (ginger, seedless raspberry or apricot for preference). Peanut butter will do if it's all I have, but almond butter is SO much better :yummy:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love hoagie rolls split and filled with onions, green pepper, shredded lettuce, spinach leaves, hot peppers, tomatoes, cheese, pepperoni and several different kinds of lunch meat. (probably why I like Subway!) Then it is all topped off with a generous splash of Italian dressing. I make them often with fresh veggies in the summer. I been known to eat them and then realize there was no meat!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Reubens too, Winchester Winchester !

I lay the meat in the frying pan at medium heat in a square two time bigger than the sandwich will be and saute it in bacon grease. It's usually corned beef, but I have used ham,turkey or pastrami. I toast two pieces of rye bread and put Swiss cheese on one piece of bread. I pile German sauerkraut (more savory than the American version and available at Lidl's) on top of that and then Russian dressing on top of that. I butter the other piece of bread.

After turning the meat over and letting the other side saute for a while, I fold it in half and put it on top of the Russian dressing and put the buttered piece of bread on top of that. I turn it over and put it in the pan, then butter the piece of toast on the top and cover. Then I turn the pan down from med to low. I turn it over in five minutes and adjust the cover so it is not sealed, and let it cook for another five minutes. Yum! I wouldn't mind having one for breakfast!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My "new" favorite sandwich comes from something I bought at the farmer's market the other day - it's a home baked raisin, walnut, cinnamon bread and I put creamy peanut butter on it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Italian beef sandwiches with hot marinara, but I don't make them; I buy them.

Best homemade is pepper turkey with sliced ripe olives and mayo.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grilled cheese. I like the common type but my favorite way to do grilled cheese is Grafton Vermont White Cheddar (extra sharp, aged), grated, on good Sourdough. Bread spread with a mayo/Dijon mustard/fresh snipped chives/black pepper mixture. Grilled well done. OMG. So darn good. I found the recipe eons ago in a cooking magazine, perhaps Bon Appetite or Gourmet. It's the best!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Reuben sandwiches too; though without the extras (so basically just the salt beef, haha).
I think I'd put jam in my sandwich though - can't go wrong with a good, basic jam and butter filling.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love a good Reuben too! My favorite non savory is crunchy peanut butter and banana.

I made a nice sandwich last night. It was a bologna and a Colby jack cheese sandwich with mayo, mustard, a dill pickle spear and a mini red sweet bell pepper on toasted nut and seed bread. It was delicious! :yummy:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

Easy question this morning: You are making your favorite sandwich. What is it? What all do you put in your favorite sandwich?

I think my absolute favorite sandwich is a Reuben. Thickly sliced toasted rye bread, lots of corned beef and pastrami, a good helping of drained sauerkraut, with several slices of baby Swiss cheese, topped off with a good dollop of 1,000 Island dressing. And then the whole thing goes into the frying pan and covered with the lid, just long enough to melt the cheese. Yum!

What about your favorite sandwich? How do you make it?
This is tough, because I don't really love bread that much anymore. But when I do make a sandwich, I usually start with the deli style bread that's really substantial. I slice it thick. Onto the bread goes marinara sauce, mozz cheese, pepperoni, and onions/peppers/olives/whatever. I prepare this like a grilled cheese. It's like a pizza burger, totally tasty!

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My favorite kind of sandwich is peanut butter and jelly. When I go out for a walk/hike I always bring a picnic lunch, and it almost always includes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weird me has been known to cram spinach, parsley, a condiment of some sorts and perhaps a bit of cheese into a bread-less (wrap) that kind of mimicks a sandwich because the outside is meat. Roast beef, turkey, etc...
For as much as I used to LOVE bread I don't crave it/eat it much now (I probably ate enough to last me 10 years!) but sometimes a burrito is good.
That's kind of sandwich-y, right?