Question of the Day, Friday, June 6

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like both -- but tend to use Miracle Whip most of the time. I've always liked its distinctive taste.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know what miracle whip is!
@Stewball Miracle Whip has the same basic ingredients as mayonnaise, but is categorized as a "salad dressing" because it has less than 65% vegetable oil, which is the minimum required for mayo. It's similar to British salad cream.
It also has corn syrup and/or sugar in it, if I recall.  And I think it has higher level of vinegar or some other acidic flavoring.

Usually I don't mind a sweet and sour combo, but for some reason it really doesn't work for me with Miracle Whip.  *shudder* 

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hellmans is like it's sour in mixture .
I don't notice a difference... I always have it mixed with tons of other stuff, but I'm sure if I ate mayo with a spoon or something, it'd be more obvious. :p

I've heard Japanese mayonnaise is delicious and that they put it on everything. I want to try some, and I know they sell the Kewpie brand in some stores around here but it's so expensive! Plus it's loaded with MSG, so it's addicting (and this accounts for the deliciousness, I assume).

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't notice a difference... I always have it mixed with tons of other stuff, but I'm sure if I ate mayo with a spoon or something, it'd be more obvious. :p

I've heard Japanese mayonnaise is delicious and that they put it on everything. I want to try some, and I know they sell the Kewpie brand in some stores around here but it's so expensive! Plus it's loaded with MSG, so it's addicting (and this accounts for the deliciousness, I assume).
I've heard that Japanese mayo is incredible!  I've been meaning to try it.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2012/02/kewpie-japanese-mayonnaise-cooking-dynamite-mussels-recipe.html
The Kewpie is smoother, and slightly yellower than standard-issue Hellman's. That's because the Japanese stuff only uses egg yolks — Hellman's adds some whole eggs to its mix — which means it's slightly looser and closer in look and feel to homemade mayo. Kewpie also calls for a mix of vinegar, meaning its acidity is sweeter than it is in mayos dosed with lemon juice. (There actually are recipes out there for DIY Kewpie, but by the time you stock up on the dashi powder, Japanese mustard, and crystallized MSG, you're better off just buying a bottle of the real thing. Plus, doesn't making your own hyper-processed mayonnaise sort of defeat the purpose?)

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm weak-willed. I would say MSG is so worth it, haha! (As I slurp up a bowl of MSG-laden kimchi flavoured ramen. I also went through an entire bottle of oyster sauce, with MSG of course, on my own in under a year)

I'm a little afraid if I try Japanese mayo, I'll never go back. It's a relatively expensive and unhealthy addiction, but maybe I can convince myself it's okay since I don't drink alcohol. Mayonnaise can be my.. err, liquor...? lol

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned that I make my own mayo... it's actually pretty easy, especially if you have one of those hand blender/emulsifiers.
  • I use about 1 whole egg + 2 yolks
  • oil of choice:  I put in about 1/8 cup olive oil, and finish off with canola.  The viscosity of olive oil is very heavy so they mayo will thicken quickly.  The flavor of olive oil can be overpowering, though, so a blend is better.  I have a friend who uses unflavored coconut oil in place of my olive oil.  She did mention that the first time she used only coconut oil was a bit of a disaster, since coconut oil solidifies when it is chilled... oops!  So a blend works better.  Benefit to using coconut oil is that it is a natural preservative (back in the day, movie theaters used to pop their corn with it for that reason, popcorn didn't get rancid).
  • acidity:  lemon juice or cider vinegar.  I also add about 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tarter.  Cream of Tarter is a high acid by product of wine making, usually used in making meringue.  It is also the acidic element in baking powder.  Unless you use a ton of it, it's relatively flavorless.  This raises the acidity of the mayo without compromising flavor and allows for a longer "shelf life".
  • seasoning: pinch of salt and dry mustard, sprinkle of cayenne
I love making my own, because I can control (play with) the ingredients. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mayonnaise, the full fat and it has to be Kraft. It is impossible to make good chicken salad or potato salad with light or fat free. I detest Miracle Whip. Yuck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Miracle Whip is labelled as a salad dressing (not mayonnaise) or can be used to spread on bread for sandwiches more so than a mayonnaise. It's made by Kraft and has more of a tangy flavor than does mayo. Around here, it costs the same as mayo; when one is on sale, the other normally is, too. I actually like it, I like the tanginess, but for a lot of people mayonnaise is the only way to go. I sometimes use a combination of MW and mayo when making salads with a mayo-based dressing. 

My parents always had a jar of Miracle Whip in the fridge and it was all we used on tomato sandwiches with lettuce. I keep a jar, too. It has its uses.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to like Miracle Whip on turkey/ham sandwiches but since I live alone condiments always end up going bad (unless it's something I absolutely use all the time) so I haven't bought it in years. I do buy a small jar of mayo for tuna salad (I never thought MW went well with tuna) so I use that, along with some mustard, for turkey/ham sandwiches. Not sure if I would still like MW. I have made my own mayo in a pinch but it just never tastes quite right. I'm not sure I have the right kind of oil.

Even when I lived in Japan I never liked Japanese mayo. Ick. Too sweet and weird-flavored and the texture is really goopy. It's almost like using vanilla pudding as a condiment :tongue2:.

Last edited:

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like Miracle Whip. My mom LOVED Duke's mayo. I'm not that picky. I usually get Kraft with Olive Oil. But during this post-graduation/no job period, I'm using store brand and it's fine.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miracle Whip is labelled as a salad dressing (not mayonnaise) or can be used to spread on bread for sandwiches more so than a mayonnaise. It's made by Kraft and has more of a tangy flavor than does mayo. Around here, it costs the same as mayo; when one is on sale, the other normally is, too. I actually like it, I like the tanginess, but for a lot of people mayonnaise is the only way to go. I sometimes use a combination of MW and mayo when making salads with a mayo-based dressing. 

My parents always had a jar of Miracle Whip in the fridge and it was all we used on tomato sandwiches with lettuce. I keep a jar, too. It has its uses.
Thanks for clearing that up Pam. Is it the same consistency? I like tangy mayo. Maybe I'd like miracle whip. I may never know though!!! :D