Question Of The Day, Friday, June 22

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
@Norachan I crack up every time I see the bad translations! I love it!

its incredibly hard to translate Chinese/Japanese/Korean.. those types of languages. My company has our printers/costume makers over seas and the communication is horrendous. I crack up.

For example- they sent me instructions on hair wax. The whole thing was butchered, but what got to me was the warning "If in eyes, Children do not touch"

I just died laughing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever seen www.engrish.com? So funny! I still have some Japanese notebooks with mangled English sayings on them. I never thought anything of it when I lived there though.

I work for the US Postal Service. I run a teeny little office in a teeny little town, though I'm not officially the postmaster (my office is under a larger office about 20 miles away). I like it. I've been working for USPS for 16 1/2 years, but not all in the same post office.

I can retire when I turn 57, although they occasionally offer early retirement. I'll have 30 years when I'm only 52 so I'd get my full pension at that point, if they offer early out. I don't know what I'll do; it depends what's going on at the time.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Norachan I crack up every time I see the bad translations! I love it!

its incredibly hard to translate Chinese/Japanese/Korean.. those types of languages. My company has our printers/costume makers over seas and the communication is horrendous. I crack up.

For example- they sent me instructions on hair wax. The whole thing was butchered, but what got to me was the warning "If in eyes, Children do not touch"

I just died laughing.
Especially for you Draco Draco :)

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I teach English as a second language. I have students of all ages, from pre-kindergarten to retired adults, so I'm doing something different every hour.

I've been doing this for about 16 years now, with a few years off here and there to travel.

I started doing this job after I graduated from university. My cunning plan was to come to Japan, work for a year and make enough money to pay off my student debts, travel in Asia for a bit, then go back home and get a "proper" job.

I stayed for 18 months the first time, then went traveling for 6 months, after which I was broke so came back to Japan because I knew I'd be able to get a job straight away.

and the rest is history.

:tongue:

I worked for big English Conversation schools when I first started, but I'm free-lance now and do most of my lessons online. I can't retire for another 20 years, but that's OK. I quite enjoy my job.

Draco Draco you'd go nuts if you ever came to Japan. I see bad grammar and spelling mistakes on restaurant signs, shop fronts, packaging etc all the time! I can forgive it if it's just a little hand written notice on a Mom&Pop grocery store, but not if it's a restaurant chain with branches all over the country. Why don't they get things proof read before they print out a million copies!?
I've always been so in love with Japanese culture because I had a Japanese caretaker when I was younger! I took Japanese as my foreign language my first semester in school.

I haven't kept up with it and I can still remember some things but I was so bummed I wasn't able to make better use of it. My sensei in school asked me to go teach in Japan but there was no way to fit it into my plans with medical school.

I still kind of regret not working harder to keep up with it. :sweat: