Question Of The Day, Friday, January 12

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :banana1:

Question this morning: Do you or would you eat alone in a restaurant?

I do. There are times when I want to go out for lunch, but I don't want to deal with co-workers or friends. I just need some time to myself. And I don't want fast food. So I'll run over to a local restaurant and have a bit of lunch or a very late breakfast (omelet, orange juice, toast, etc.) Sometimes I'll take my iPad with me to read while I'm eating, but sometimes I just like to sit and people-watch.

There are a few times that I've gone for supper, too, on my own. If Rick isn't home and I want something, I'll just go.

What about you?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends. I've eaten at Panera and the like by myself. But a nicer restaurant, no :headshake: I just get :paranoid::paranoid: about what other people are thinking, like wondering why I'm eating all alone. My anxiety gets bad :paperbag:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I like being by myself...I don't have to make small talk or worry I say something wrong..I could care less what people think when they see me by myself-often bring a book for company or my phone. I have been doing things by myself for so many years it doesn't bother me anymore. I do enjoy company but being around people all day long-sometimes it's nice to get a cozy booth in the corner and people watch while I eat...I tend to be a slow eater so I don't have to feel pressured to hurry up...

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, not usually. The reason is I don't travel, basically a homebody. Hubby and I do things and go places together. Sometimes, if I decide I need a day out of the house, I might be gone at lunchtime. Then I will hit a fast food place and order a salad. I don't really count those as eating in a real restaurant. We were in town earlier this week. He was sitting in the waiting room at the hospital waiting with a friend whose wife was having a procedure done. I was at the mall with gift cards from Christmas shopping. I ordered a salad in the pizza place there and ate alone. I just ate and left. It was quick.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in school, there were restaurants near campus that had tables for singles - right next to the kitchen. I was working over 40 hours a week plus school full time and it was hard to find time to cook, so I ate by myself at restaurants after work or school.

Now I eat by myself at restaurants a couple of times a year, except for the cafeteria (surprisingly good, they have been around for 80 years,) where I eat alone about 30 times a year. Many old folks eat alone there. I fit right in! :p

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very rare I go to a restaurant. Not because I don't want to be or eat alone, but because I don't want to eat food that I didn't personally prepare. I'm picky that way and don't want to get sick just because the server/cook is sick or the food was a little off and they served it anyway.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't eaten out in a LONG time (years, if not over a decade!) but I've never had a problem eating alone. I much prefer it to being with people...with a few rare exceptions. I have no problem going to have coffee and people watch or read in a cafe, either. I've never really understood feeling uncomfortable being alone in cafes, restaurants etc, but I've always been a bit of a loner ;)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast and dinner have always seemed to me, in my life, to be shared meals with family, so I'd feel weird eating out alone for those meals. The beginning of the day and the end of the day are times to share your thoughts, actions, joys, worries, and happenings with significant others.
:)

Lunch would be good for Alone Time meals. Pizza is a favorite.
pizza-slice.gif

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do meals out alone at fast food or quick service places. Something where a waiter comes and takes your order I've never eaten alone. I've had a few times at my recent job where I've thought about it but decided to go someplace else instead. I don't know, something about it just doesn't feel right. I think it's because I've always associated anything past a quick service as a social situation where it's expected to talk with someone as you eat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll go to, say, a buffet or a pizza place or Panera alone, and do, quite often. Any kind of place that you order from a counter not a waiter, and if you do see any waitstaff it's just to take your dirty plates or refill your drink. But not a place with full-service waitstaff. That just seems awkward.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't do it a lot any more because I'm trying to cook more, have a boyfriend and now have to buy cat stuff, but when I was single I liked to treat myself once in a while.

Also, I get crêpes every Feb 2nd for La Chandleur and have since I studied abroad in 2004 and keeping the tradition is more important than caring about eating alone if no one else is available.

And I've also done it when I've lost power, just to get out.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would, I always go out by myself to lunch, but usually fast food because I don't have time to go to a sit down place. I go inside and eat too, not take out. Wendy's is my favorite, and I love sitting in there and reading a book, and not having to deal with co-workers. It's funny because I know a number of people who won't. I had a boss who would go around the office trying to find someone to go out to lunch with him. Some people will go by themselves, but then sit in their car and eat.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I love coffee so my first go to place is a coffee shop but I don't eat their food, lol. If I'm at work and get a break or actually get to take my lunch I go to my car to clear my head. Surprisingly I see a lot of other teachers in the parking lot sitting in their cars too. ;)