Question Of The Day, Friday, August 30

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Worst I can remember is trying to get animals inside when the wind chill was minus 50°F. Cold is cold, but when that wind picks up it bites the end of your nose off.
Okay. I’m a wuss. :) In my defense, though, I was wearing heels, a skirt, and the lightweight coat I wore to work...and no gloves. I do like not having to pump my own gas, and for some reason, the station attendants here are almost always extremely friendly.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. I’m a wuss. :) In my defense, though, I was wearing heels, a skirt, and the lightweight coat I wore to work...and no gloves. I do like not having to pump my own gas, and for some reason, the station attendants here are almost always extremely friendly.
Once it dips below 0, all cold is the same. It's just cold and all you can think of is a warm fireplace and warm socks ;)
If you survived Colorado winters, you're NO wuss my friend!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drive,and hubby uses my car quite a bit to run here and there.I think we might fill up about once a month,whether it needs it or not.We always go to Fast and Friendly,and if it happens to be on a Wednesday or Saturday,I like the local paper to read.Other than that,he uses his truck quite a bit this time of year taking care of all his bees...not really sure how much gas he goes thru.I think right now we're paying around $2.39 a gallon.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on how often my daughter needs me to take her somewhere, I put gas in every two to three weeks. I have a bad habit of waiting until it is almost empty before I get gas. It drives my husband batty and worries him. The lowest I have gotten it was 1 mile to empty, according to the warning my car gives me. That time, I was pretty nervous.

I put $20 of gas into Clarence
I love when people name their cars. I have had three cars in my life: Rasputin, Titania, and Drusilla. Drusilla is my current car. My husband's car is named Crabtree, after a character from The Murdock Mysteries.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I am retired and I don't drive anymore my car only gets filled up about once a month. My neighbor and sister use my car when they take me to the doctors and the grocery store. My car only needs less than 1/2 a tank a month. I get my gas at BJ's and I think it is $2.27 a gallon.

When I was working I would have to fill up my car every week. When I smoked I would buy my cigarettes at the gas station and now sometimes I will get coffee and donuts.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fill up my tank after my car gives me the low fuel warning. I usually go to Thorntons because I'm a refreshing rewards member. I don't drive too far to work so it's usually about two weeks in between fill ups.

And I live in the Chicago suburbs, so gas is too expensive.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
When work was a 60 mile a day round trip, we filled up at least twice a week, and our beasts didn't sip, either.

Now we have an Expedition (both of desire and necessity for my scooter) that gets pretty good mileage for a beast its size. However, it has a 35 gallon gas tank that can suck your wallet dry faster than you can pump the gas in. Since we've retired and I'm not much able to be out and about, we fill up about once a month or less. My mechanic recommended Chevron, and I use it or Exxon. Right now I'm paying about $2.23 a gallon for Exxon and about a dime more for Chevron. I found out it does make a difference to use these brands.

The last vehicle was a flex-fuel, so I tried the ethanol, which was considerably cheaper. I got what I paid for. Much poorer mileage and an unhappy engine. One tank was enough.

Gasoline is always more expensive close to a freeway or downtown. We always avoid buying gas in those areas. We save substantially by paying cash, too,.

We sometimes, but not often, buy a soda when we gas up. Once in a very great while, if we're traveling, we buy a bag or two of ice.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I try to keep it to once every three weeks, but it really depends what I'm up to.
I use premium fuel and pay about $1.75 (US $1.20) a litre. There are 3.8 litres to a gallon, so that makes fuel here roughly US$4 a gallon.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get gas maybe once a month or longer. I don't drive very far for work (I could walk if I really wanted) and running regular errands don't take me very far either. As for how much gas is. I don't really know exactly because I don't go that often and the prices change quite a bit. At this point our prices are ridiculously high, especially with the new carbon tax, so if it's less than $1.30 a L I'll fill up, if it's more than that I'll put 20$ in and hope that it goes down by the next time I need gas. I think $1.30 a L is almost $5 a gallon (CAD) just to give you an idea on our stupid prices. ($1.30 x 3.8L = $4.94) so with the conversion, that would give you $3.70 a gallon USD. My math skills suck so this might be wrong.:paperbag:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last vehicle was a flex-fuel, so I tried the ethanol, which was considerably cheaper. I got what I paid for. Much poorer mileage and an unhappy engine. One tank was enough.
I've heard that about the 85% ethanol fuel. I don't have a flex-fuel vehicle so I haven't tried it myself. But all the fuel here has 10%-15% ethanol unless you spring for Premium. In theory, I'm against ethanol fuel, because it takes more than a gallon of diesel to produce a gallon of ethanol, but in reality, it's subsidized by the state so I buy it. It's not sustainable at all but I guess I'll take advantage as long as I can.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My husband's car is named Crabtree, after a character from The Murdock Mysteries.
I'd never heard of The Murdock Mysteries--just looked it up. Looks like an interesting series!

I only put about 200 miles a month on my car and don't have to fill it up often. I think it was $3.65 a gallon last time I filled up. I usually don't go into the store at my usual gas station for anything unless I'm heading out of town, then I might get a diet Coke for the road.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd never heard of The Murdock Mysteries--just looked it up. Looks like an interesting series!
It tends to be a bit of a lighthearted series, even though it has a lot of murders, with the exception of a couple of episodes. The first episode or two really do not do the entire series justice, so if you watch it, just keep watching. Crabtree is such a fun, lovable character! (My husband's previous car was named after one of the reoccurring villains called Gillies.) My family loves the series.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I got gas today for $2.65 ( unleaded was $2.68, but I get 3 cents off because of my membership). That's not near the worst it's ever been.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Maybe I fill up twice every three weeks or so. I go to Cumberland FArms and use SmartPay so I get 10 cents off a gallon.