Question Of The Day, Friday, August 30

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

How often do you put gas in your car? Do you usually fill your tank or do you just "put $20 in it" or whatever amount you want? Where do you get your gas? How much are you paying per gallon? Do you get anything else? Coffee? Soda? A snack?

I usually 20-buck myself to death. This week, on Monday, I put $20 of gas into Clarence. But since he's giving me some clutch problems (and I might need a new clutch), I started driving the Tucson, which meant that I had to put another $20 into that. Since we got a battery put into the Tucson's fob, I can now get into the blasted car and drive it. When I put gas into the Tucson, I paid $2.45 per gallon.

It's gotten to the point where I go into the gas station, walk in the door to pay ahead of time, and the guy says, "$20 on 2?" or whatever gas pump I'm parked at. I usually get gas at the same station, (a local Sunoco) and just stop in on my way to work.

I never get anything else at the gas station. Just my gas.

Your turn!

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We've had this car since February 2018, and I still haven't put gas in it. :paperbag: DH fills it at a local gas station every few weeks, usually whenever it has less than 1/4 tank . Neither one of us generally buys anything other than gas, except when we stop at a particular station in Austria when traveling. That place has fantastic coffee which has become a "must-buy item" for me over the years.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since both of us are retired, we put less than 5,000 mi. on a year, so it might be 3 or 4 weeks between gas-ups, and I normally fill it up when I do stop. I currently am paying $2.65 per gallon, and all I ever get is just the gas.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an HRV which gets pretty good gas mileage and I only drive 5000 or so miles a year, with a larger percentage of that being in the summer. So about 2-3 weeks between fill ups on average and always a full fill. I do really hate getting gas, especially in winter, and always pay at the pump so I never go in the store.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have an HRV which gets pretty good gas mileage and I only drive 5000 or so miles a year, with a larger percentage of that being in the summer.
I had to bring my car in for maintenance and they gave me a HRV as a loaner. It was a lot of fun to drive and I really liked it.

I usually get gas when the tank is half full which is at least once a week. I never get anything else at the gas station and paid $2.57 p/gal yesterday.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fill up twice a week. I drive a lot. I pay with a card at the pump and always fill up all the way. I have a Costco Visa that gives 4% back on gas. I don't usually go inside. I work next door to the gas station so I might pop in for a coffee or a snack, but not at the same time as filling up. It's $2.44 a gallon for the ethanol blend.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to bring my car in for maintenance and they gave me a HRV as a loaner. It was a lot of fun to drive and I really liked it.

I usually get gas when the tank is half full which is at least once a week. I never get anything else at the gas station and paid $2.57 p/gal yesterday.
Thanks. Three things I must have in a car - due to my height, the ability to see out the window and to reach the gas pedal and room to haul furniture and stuff. Hard to find and really limits my choice of cars. But the HRV works great for me.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in a bit of a different situation.

I've been doing a program and staying with my mom during the week and going home on the weekends. My house is a 3.5 hour drive from mom's house, and then I have to drive to the school and back to mom's Monday thru Thursday.

I fill up twice a week and put a ton of miles on my little 2003 Honda CRV. It's been a fantastic car, although it needs some work (which will be my Christmas present!).

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fill up about every week and a half to every two weeks. I always fill up completely because I get really good gas discounts through the grocery stores where I shop, so I can sometimes get like $1.00 off per gallon and it would be a waste to not maximize that as much as I can. I know it's not a good idea to wait until the tank is nearly empty to refill when I live in a cold climate, but I've always done it and probably won't stop.
I can't remember what gas is right now. Like $2.49, I think. I almost never buy anything but gas when I get gas. I actually stopped at the gas station yesterday and only got pop (the selection is usually more vast than at other places). I didn't even get gas. :p

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You got Pop! says a lot to where you're from! :)

I fill up my car when it's half empty, It's a little more than 3.50 right now here in San Diego, sometimes I get a Soda :lol:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually go once a week and fill it. I went yesterday and filled up at Citgo. It was $2.39/gallon. No snacks/drinks. I don't go in. When I do go into a convenience store attached to a gas station, it's Wawa and I rarely buy gas there. It's usually too busy. I go to BP which is attached to the truck stop across the street from Wawa. It's on the same side of the street that I use to get to my house so it's more convenient. It's also less crowded because they have more pumps. We have a lot of gas stations available close by since we're right off I-95. I went to Citgo yesterday because I passed it on the way home and it was mostly empty. The calm before the storm. Literally.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Depends... sometimes I top it off, sometimes I just throw in $20. I hardly ever buy soda, snacks, or coffee when I buy gas, I just throw the fuel in and hit the road. I fuel at Love's Truck Stop or the Speedway in Benson, last time I fueled it was $2.59 per gallon, but it was down around $2 per gallon when I first arrived. Might have been less than $2, I remember telling my best friend Tommy (back on the beach in Coronado) about how low fuel costs were in AZ. I never let my fuel tank get that low, so if I notice a crowd at the pumps, I simply drive past and get the fuel next trip. My '02 Camry (4-banger) sips fuel, which is good, and she still runs smoothly despite 210K miles on the odometer... I do all the work on her myself, much less expensive that way. :rolleyes:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually stopped at the gas station yesterday and only got pop
Was it a Casey's? :tongue:

(There's a YouTube channel/Facebook page called You Betcha! that has funny videos about living in the Midwest. "Who's Casey? Your cousin?" "You eat DINNER at a gas station?" "Wait, what's breakfast pizza?" Etc.)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I fill up when the petrol gauge is low, usually about every 4 weeks. I hate driving and only do about 3000 miles a year. I never buy anything else, just the petrol.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it a Casey's? :tongue:

(There's a YouTube channel/Facebook page called You Betcha! that has funny videos about living in the Midwest. "Who's Casey? Your cousin?" "You eat DINNER at a gas station?" "Wait, what's breakfast pizza?" Etc.)
I have seen those videos, but I have never actually been to a Casey's. I went to college in a very small town in western Minnesota that had like only 3 gas stations, Casey's being one of them, and I still never went there.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fill up weekly, either Saturday or Sunday. It's usually half a tank down but I don't want to bother during the week because there's no real convenient gas station. I typically fill up at either Shell or Exxon, depending on where I'm going that day. I don't actually remember how much I'm paying. At Shell I get 5 cents off a gallon. If there was a BP close by, I could get more off with my Harris Teeter points. I think once ages ago I bought a fountain drink because it was hot and I was thirsty, but I don't normally even go in the stores.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever the gas tank sounds like someone slurping the last few drops of something through a straw. It's hard to say, because I fill up, and fill gas cans up, so I can gas up at home. Beats waiting in line ;)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We’re retired, too, so I don’t need gas much more than every four weeks when the car gets to about 1/4 of a tank. I buy gas at Fred Meyer grocery store because with the shopper’s card, I end up getting anywhere from 10-30 cents off per gallon depending on how many groceries I’ve bought that month. My car takes premium which is currently $3.09/gallon before the discount. And this is Oregon where you aren’t allowed to pump your own gas, so I never get out of the car!

On a side note, we lived in Colorado before moving here, and I remember having to pump gas one night at about 7 p.m. when the wind was howling and it was -4°F. :cold:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We’re retired, too, so I don’t need gas much more than every four weeks when the car gets to about 1/4 of a tank. I buy gas at Fred Meyer grocery store because with the shopper’s card, I end up getting anywhere from 10-30 cents off per gallon depending on how many groceries I’ve bought that month. My car takes premium which is currently $3.09/gallon before the discount. And this is Oregon where you aren’t allowed to pump your own gas, so I never get out of the car!

On a side note, we lived in Colorado before moving here, and I remember having to pump gas one night at about 7 p.m. when the wind was howling and it was -4°F. :cold:
Worst I can remember is trying to get animals inside when the wind chill was minus 50°F. Cold is cold, but when that wind picks up it bites the end of your nose off.