Question Of The Day, Friday, August 25

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :hyper:

Name one room in your house that you would like to tear out and do completely over? Why?

In our house, it's the bathroom. Other than repainting several times and a replacement window, it's pretty much the way it was when we built the house back in 1986. It's the only room in the house that hasn't had a major renovation and it's past time.

What about you?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I rent but if I could I would have the landlord put in a new kitchen. My other kitchens
have always been the place to hang out and the one I have now is not. Not enough
room. I still have the oak table that has been in my family for over 150 years and
a bookshelf but the room is just too small.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Without blinking an eye it would be the kitchen. It's original to the house and needs a major overhaul. I'd love shaker style cabinets and a farmhouse sink but no granite countertops!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I rent so it is impossible, however, I would love a new master bathroom!!! and then the hall bathroom... so it would have to be bathrooms!!!!

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kitchen. I would replace the old counter tops and cabinets. I've always thought it would be fun to put some sort of built in seating area in the corner too.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I rent, and would love to have my own house and have everything that I want in it (I have a pretty long must-have list) But with my current apartment I would LOVE to have a bigger kitchen. More counter space, an island, a dishwasher, bigger cupboards, under cabinet lighting, big farm sink, new paint and floors, bust out the wall separating the dining room, and build on an extension making the whole thing bigger.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
The bathroom for sure. I bet it's from the 70s. it has stucco on walls and ceiling. Yikes! The tub is one of those bath-fitters and is in terrible shape.

I tried to fix it up as best as I can when I moved in. but it needs a gut.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The main bathroom for sure. It's the one room we seriously need renovated. The house was built in 1925. Everything about it is falling apart. Tiles are coming off the wall and because they are vintage and none are exactly the same size, you can't just put them back on (let alone my walls are terracotta block - the house isn't wood framed - there's no drywall). Mosaic floor tiles are also coming up. Light fixtures are broken. The tub doesn't really work (there's a separate shower we fixed when we moved in but 7 years later it needs work too). Old vintage medicine cabinet. The sink is disgusting; black ceramic with tacky pewter faucet/handles set into an equally ugly black cabinet that is kind of colonial in style. The only new thing is the toilet and again, now 7 years old.

The color scheme? Lilac and black FFS. Very trendy in the late 1940's I believe which was the last time it was touched.

Oh and a hole in a wall where a switch (???) used to be. The closet is huge and deepset but useless in it's current configuration.

I hate it so much. Last quote we got was $40K!!! From a friend of my brother no less. Like, what are we adding an addition? It's a good sized bathroom but no master bath size at all - it's the only full bath in the house.

We'll probably be retired and moving and never get it done. There's no freaking way I'd ever pay that much money to renovate. I should dig up photos to post here. It's truly heinous and an embarrassment.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot to mention that the toilet sits too close to the radiator so you have little room to umm, you know, attend to things there. And the shower is a small stall size. Very cramped.

UGH

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be a tie between the bathroom and the kitchen. Everything in both rooms needs to be replaced including the floors. Both rooms are the original and my house is 35 years old.

Muffy

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The master bedroom. Our house is new enough that it doesn't need a true gutting; but it needs decorating. It's still builder everything and a mixture of furniture pieces we've collected from my childhood to present. It's definitely no restful retreat. ;)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a tie between the master bath and the kitchen, too. I just paid off my mortgage and may actually go for one of these. The bathroom has a tub, and it constantly needs to be recaulked and mold cleaned off. It's very difficult to clean because it has sliding glass doors wedged next to the toilet. I'd like to take out the tub and put in a walk-in shower. I never take baths anyway. And I'd like one of those nice new tile showers with a mosaic soap niche.

The kitchen needs new cabinets and counter tops. The cabinets are literally falling apart. One part of the cabinets is in a corner, and that corner cabinet has one 6-inch door that opens into a 3-foot interior. I use a flashlight to see what's in there. Whoever thought this up? Another genius ran the drain from the sink all the way through two cabinets, making most of the cabinet space unusable. Why do that? There's no ceiling in the basement underneath the sink, and the drain could easily have been routed straight to the sewer line. :argh:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The whole place needs demolishing and rebuilding. This house is nearly 40 years, quite old for a Japanese house. It was built as a summer house so the walls are too thin, there is no insulation and no double glazing. That makes it very uncomfortable in the winter. It's also subsiding in one corner which means the water in the bathroom drains away from the drain. Cleaning the bathroom is a nightmare.

But we bought the house and the piece of land that goes with it for much less than the land alone would have cost. Can't complain really.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'll name just one room, though i'd love to do several rooms! it would be the bathroom, first and foremost! the only thing i like about it currently is the new stacked full-sized washer and dryer set.

i tend to see the potential in my house and the rooms in it -- just like i tend to see the potential in almost all things and situations.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The main bathroom for sure. It's the one room we seriously need renovated. The house was built in 1925. Everything about it is falling apart. Tiles are coming off the wall and because they are vintage and none are exactly the same size, you can't just put them back on (let alone my walls are terracotta block - the house isn't wood framed - there's no drywall). Mosaic floor tiles are also coming up. Light fixtures are broken. The tub doesn't really work (there's a separate shower we fixed when we moved in but 7 years later it needs work too). Old vintage medicine cabinet. The sink is disgusting; black ceramic with tacky pewter faucet/handles set into an equally ugly black cabinet that is kind of colonial in style. The only new thing is the toilet and again, now 7 years old.

The color scheme? Lilac and black FFS. Very trendy in the late 1940's I believe which was the last time it was touched.

Oh and a hole in a wall where a switch (???) used to be. The closet is huge and deepset but useless in it's current configuration.

I hate it so much. Last quote we got was $40K!!! From a friend of my brother no less. Like, what are we adding an addition? It's a good sized bathroom but no master bath size at all - it's the only full bath in the house.

We'll probably be retired and moving and never get it done. There's no freaking way I'd ever pay that much money to renovate. I should dig up photos to post here. It's truly heinous and an embarrassment.
lmao, I got a much needed laugh from your description. 'lilac and black' :flail:

I remember when my parents bought an avocado colored frig in the 60s and I loved it! :crackup: