Question Of The Day, Friday, April 5

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

Easy question this morning: Do you drink milk? What kind of milk do you drink? Is it full-fat, 2%, 1%, or non-fat? Have you tried the shelf-stabilized milk? Do you keep dry milk powder on hand in your pantry?

We drink non-fat milk. It took me a while to get the guys switched over from full-fat milk to non-fat, but now it's hard for them to drink anything else. I keep powdered milk on hand for baking purposes only.

What about you?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like milk a lot but don't tend to drink it as a beverage much only because I don't like drinking my calories. I prefer lowfat - 1% but skim is perfectly fine for me too, as is 2%. Regular tastes too heavy but I also enjoy it.

These days I stick to using it in my coffee only. Or when needed in cooking for a recipe. Some versions of milk work better than others for different things although I find for the most part 1% or 2% is perfectly fine for almost all purposes.

It's a rarity that I'll have a glass of milk on it's own. Maybe if I'm having a cookie but I can't even remember the last time I ate a cookie.

EDIT: I've used shelf stable milk, Parmalat. I will keep some on hand during hurricane season in those small boxes to make sure we can still have coffee. Nothing worse than having your power off for days on end and not being able to at least have a decent cup of coffee to ease the pain (been there, done that, looking at you Hurricane Sandy).

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like milk a lot but don't tend to drink it as a beverage much only because I don't like drinking my calories. I prefer lowfat - 1% but skim is perfectly fine for me too, as is 2%. Regular tastes too heavy but I also enjoy it.

These days I stick to using it in my coffee only. Or when needed in cooking for a recipe. Some versions of milk work better than others for different things although I find for the most part 1% or 2% is perfectly fine for almost all purposes.

It's a rarity that I'll have a glass of milk on it's own. Maybe if I'm having a cookie but I can't even remember the last time I ate a cookie.

I really don't drink milk either. It's mostly for cereal. I just bought a box of peanut butter Cap'n Crunch. :yummy:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I like skim milk. I do use real cream in coffee and eat real cheese. I give my cats a little cream now and again. They do not like skim ! :lovecat2:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mom always gave us whole milk when we were growing up, but I think I’d struggle to drink it now. I buy 2% for drinking and and Half and Half for coffee.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whole milk. I can deal with skim or 1% milk only in chocolate milk or hot chocolate because the chocolate masks the watery taste. I have never tried shelf stable milk or dry milk powder.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't consider 1% or skim to be worth drinking. Bleh. I prefer whole milk but 2% is tolerable. I don't drink much milk so I buy the organic half-gallons. I love milkfat---I'd drink half & half or heavy cream if it wouldn't be all my calories in one glass ;).

Since we lived overseas when I was little, we only got powdered milk or shelf-stable milk. The shelf-stable milk is SO much better. I used to eat powdered milk dry (the feeling of a spoonful in your mouth, wet on the outside, dry on the inside, is cool), but when water is added it's too thin and watery even if you mix it double strong like my mom did. It was OK for cereal but nobody wanted a glass of it. Plus it's lumpy.

I'll still buy shelf-stable whole milk now and then. It's not as good as the organic fresh brands but it's pretty good and I don't have to worry about it going bad before I open it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like a lot of dairy farm kids, I was spoiled by drinking milk pretty much straight from the cow. After we sold out, we got a lot of powdered milk, and that should be called cruel and unusual punishment. Now I don't use much milk except on my cereal, but that is whole milk. You can keep all the other stuff.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
2% but I don’t drink much of it. Growing up we had milk fresh from the cow or powdered milk. Hated both and would never buy or use powdered milk now.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like a lot of dairy farm kids, I was spoiled by drinking milk pretty much straight from the cow. After we sold out, we got a lot of powdered milk, and that should be called cruel and unusual punishment. Now I don't use much milk except on my cereal, but that is whole milk. You can keep all the other stuff.
It really is. It's so bad. We got the powdered skim milk which is even worse.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to drink a glass of 2% milk every day, but now I just take a calcium pill. I really like the sweet taste of Lactose Free Milk, but it's expensive.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although growing up we drank whole milk I have been drinking almond milk for the past 10-11 years and love it. I prefer a specific brand which I buy cold and use it primarily in cereal or oatmeal. Like V verna davies I drink my coffee black without any milk or sugar.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used to drink a glass of 2% milk every day, but now I just take a calcium pill. I really like the sweet taste of Lactose Free Milk, but it's expensive.
You peeked my curiosity so I looked up Lactose Free Milk prices and saw that both Walmart and Target had the best bang for your buck. Do you have either store near you?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink a half glass of whole milk every night before bed. I can't stand the others. When I went to a diet meeting one day, the leader had a gallon of milk and a tablespoon and sneered, "There are two whole tablespoons of fat in a gallon of milk," trying to discourage us from drinking whole milk. Really? It's not like you drink the whole gallon of milk all at once. One glass of milk has a very small amount of fat, like a quarter teaspoon, much less than a pat of butter.