Question about pregnancy tests (men, enter at your own risk)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so last month "that time" was really, REALLY strange. I had all the symptoms...cramps, backache, boobs hurt, I was irritable and emotional. Then....nothing. Well, enough to use something for maybe 5 hours but that Iwas it.

So today I was cleaning out the bathroom to move and found one last home pregnancy test so I took it for my own peace of mind. LOL, yeah, right...it came back POSITIVE!! In like 30 seconds!!! I kept going back to the bathroom to see if it changed to 1 pink line, but nope....still have 2.

The thing is, the expiration date on the test is 2007. Could it be a false positive? I'm calling my PCP first thing monday morning to have him schedule a blood test since I have to have blood drawn next week for my thyroid doctor anyway.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, I'm flipping 40 yrs old!! DH and I weren't planning on children because his sperm count is so low because of his medication. And, we basically don't like kids. They are ok for a short period of time but we much prefer to be aunt and uncle and not mom and dad.

I guess I just needed to talk. DH just called and I told him so I'm going to the store for a new pregnancy test. I'm just basically flipping out......

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing- Take a deep breath in and then let it out. It will be ok
Try to calm down

Secondly, if i were you, I would go out and buy a new pack of pregnancy tests and try them. (use one tonight, and save one for in the morning when you'll have the highest concentration of HGC in your urine if it's positive). It's rare to get a false positive, but it has happened to me once before. (even my OB was a little stunned, she said it's much more common to get false negatives than it is to get false positives, but it does hapen). The absolute most accurate way of telling is through a blood test, so that's great that you're on the ball and plan to call your PCP on Monday for one. In the mean time, a new home pregnancy test would be a good way to go.

Since your test expired back in 2007, I would get a new one just to confirm it. Best of luck sweetheart

And as for you being in your 40's...I once nannied for a lady who was pregnant and 49 (she turned 50 right before she delivered). I have never seen someone more happy or content.
I think that the advantage of a more mature pregnancy is that you're established and that you are more confident in your decisions, that will pay off if you are indeed preggo.
As good of a mother as you are to your furbabies, I have no doubt that a child would be blessed to have you as a mom if you are indeed pregnant.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, I'd think if it expired it wouldn't be able to detect the pregnancy hormone. Sounds like what you could have had last month was implantation bleeding. The month I got my positive, I had all my normal pregnancy symptoms too. The cramps really threw me off, but they happen in pregnancy too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just ran into town and got another test. Expiration date 2012. It was positive too. OMG.

Just talked to DH. We're both in shock. Nothing is for sure until I get the blood test back confirming it, but we don't know if we should celebrate or cry. I think there's a lot of emotions we have to go through tonight. I mean, seriously, we are bankrupt. We have to sell our house and are moving into a drafty farm house and the spare room WAS going to be used for storage.

OMG...I might be pregnant!!! Holy CRAP!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! I will first say that pregnancy tests RARELY have false positives, so you are very likely pregnant, especially given your symptoms.

Secondly, BIG HUGS! You must be absolutely REELING.

Don't forget to breathe....

Make a doctor's appt.

BREATHE...

It will be OKAY!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I just ran into town and got another test. Expiration date 2012. It was positive too. OMG.

Just talked to DH. We're both in shock. Nothing is for sure until I get the blood test back confirming it, but we don't know if we should celebrate or cry. I think there's a lot of emotions we have to go through tonight. I mean, seriously, we are bankrupt. We have to sell our house and are moving into a drafty farm house and the spare room WAS going to be used for storage.

OMG...I might be pregnant!!! Holy CRAP!
If you are sweetheart, then you have several good months to figure out things and prepare
(If you are pregnant, which it sounds like you are now, does your state have a program that you can register for this comming week so you can get assistance with healthcare and with formula/food as well when needed? I would look into it if there is one available. If not, most churches have programs
) As far as money goes, I grew up with just my mom and we were broke. (heck, I'm still broke until I finish school!). My point is, money is not everything. I grew up without a lot of money, but I had a parent that loved me, and that's what I remember when I look back, not a lack of $, but the simple things like making cookies, or going to the park.
Try to focus on the positives right now. If you think about the negatives, you are going to overwhelm yourself and you don't need that right now.

One day at a time right now ok?
Just take a deep breath and try to stay calm. Everything will fall into place.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a very firm believer that everything happens for a reason. One day at a time sweetheart and I wish you and DH nothing but the best. Very, very few people are actually financially prepared when they have children. It happens all the time and they make out just fine. I'm sure you will too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
and TAKE a VERY Big DEEP Breathe

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

If you are sweetheart, then you have several good months to figure out things and prepare
(If you are pregnant, which it sounds like you are now, does your state have a program that you can register for this comming week so you can get assistance with healthcare and with formula/food as well when needed? I would look into it if there is one available. If not, most churches have programs
) As far as money goes, I grew up with just my mom and we were broke. (heck, I'm still broke until I finish school!). My point is, money is not everything. I grew up without a lot of money, but I had a parent that loved me, and that's what I remember when I look back, not a lack of $, but the simple things like making cookies, or going to the park.
Try to focus on the positives right now. If you think about the negatives, you are going to overwhelm yourself and you don't need that right now.

One day at a time right now ok?
Just take a deep breath and try to stay calm. Everything will fall into place.
WIC - Women, Infants, Children
http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/howtoapply/

This is a program that can start when you are pregnant. I don't know all the details, but you get free food, milk, butter, cheese, formula, etc. I believe it also includes medical care and I'm not sure what else. But it sounds like you would qualify, and it is a god-send.

Congratulations!!! You will make it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

I am a very firm believer that everything happens for a reason. One day at a time sweetheart and I wish you and DH nothing but the best. Very, very few people are actually financially prepared when they have children. It happens all the time and they make out just fine. I'm sure you will too.
You know, that's what DH and I were talking about just an hour ago. Maybe we were meant to lose the house so we wouldn't have the huge mortgage payment so we could afford to have a child. We believe that everything happens for a reason too, we were just waiting to find out what that reason was. I guess this was it. (IF I am pregnant....can you tell I'm still in denial? LOL!)

As for WIC, it's a great program but I doubt I'm eligible. Our combined incomes are probably too much, and I have a great health care plan at work (which I pay out the butt for) so I'm not worried about that. It's just so many things at once....moving, changing things at work, maybe pregnant.....

ok, I'm breathing.....breathing....breathing....

Holy Crap!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

You know, that's what DH and I were talking about just an hour ago. Maybe we were meant to lose the house so we wouldn't have the huge mortgage payment so we could afford to have a child. We believe that everything happens for a reason too, we were just waiting to find out what that reason was. I guess this was it. (IF I am pregnant....can you tell I'm still in denial? LOL!)

As for WIC, it's a great program but I doubt I'm eligible. Our combined incomes are probably too much, and I have a great health care plan at work (which I pay out the butt for) so I'm not worried about that. It's just so many things at once....moving, changing things at work, maybe pregnant.....

ok, I'm breathing.....breathing....breathing....

Holy Crap!!!
Just one thing to point out about your health insurance...not sure what kind of coverage you have, but some companies require you to give them "6 weeks notice" if you plan to become pregnant.
...soooo go ahead and read over your coverage policy and make sure they will already cover a pregnancy. If not, go ahead and give them your notice that you're planning to concieve, so that you can get coverage before you deliver!
(only reason I thought of that is because i'm in the process of switching from COBRA to a personal policy that's cheaper, and I've done a lot of shopping around lately. Every company I talk to seems to have a police about potential pregnancies. I'm not sure if it's JUST if you're switching plans or if it's on a plan you alredy have, but I would double check so that you don't have any surprises.)

And yes...everything will fall into place!
One day at a time, and just remember to keep breathing!
Everything will fall into place and you will be an amazing momma

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Holy crap indeed!!

I hope it turns out whichever way you want it to
Good Luck.
BTW false positives have happened with expired tests. It's rare with the newer ones. Mine came back in seconds...like 2 seconds that I was pg and I was only 3 days late.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wow Hope, that is quite the shocker! I also am a believer that everything happens for a reason, altho sometimes the reasons are not always obvious at first
well, congratulations?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say you were pg. I thought that reading your first post.

congrats!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are definetely pregnant,congratulations hun. It is scary, I have 3 children and I cried when I found out I was pregnant with my first but do you know what its the most amazing thing in the world,I love the whole pregnancy/birth bit aswell (people think I'm mad
) Once the shock has worn off a bit it will begin to sink in. x

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you will be very happy once you get over the shock. Let us know what the bloodwork reveals and like others said, breathe.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you will be very happy once you get over the shock. Let us know what the bloodwork reveals and like others said, breathe.

I am so excited for you!!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I bet you're freaked! It was scary enough when I got my positive pregnancy test, and we were trying!! It will all work out though! Everything will be great.