Question about Prednisolone for IBD cat suffering inappetence

KBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, it's been a long time. I first posted here a little over a year ago after my cat, Zia, was diagnosed with IBD.

Over the last year, Zia's been doing great with a diet change, B12 injections, and probiotics. However, this year she's already suffered two flare-ups. The first she recovered from quickly with an appetite stimulant and was back to eating even better than she was before the flare-up. Two weeks later, she threw up her breakfast. That was a month ago, and her appetite has not returned since.

She's been to the vet three separate times this month, seen three different vets, and no one has found anything, even with blood work. I've tried Cerenia, Metronidazole, and appetite stimulants. Nothing is working. The only time Zia ate something more than a mouthful of food was when I stopped giving her the Metro (on vet's recommendation). After that, she ate somewhat consistently for a few days, then stopped eating again. Right now she'll sometimes eat treats, and I've been giving her high-calorie paste/gel. I gave her an appetite stimulant and some Cerenia about 40 hours ago that did nothing, and she got her B12 shot yesterday morning.

Yesterday, I finally got her on Prednisolone. She was prescribed one dose of 0.17ml a day. I gave her the first dose as soon as I got back from the vet, late afternoon/early evening. An hour or two after her first dose, she ate the (very small amount of) wet food I had put out for her, and finished it. I gave her what was left in the pouch (not much), and she finished that, too. After that she licked up a little bit of gravy/broth, but when I left kibble out for her overnight she didn't touch it. This morning when I offered her more wet food and broth, she turned her nose up at both. It's afternoon and she hasn't eaten anything yet today.

So my question: I understand since she's only had one dose I can't expect much right now, but will the Prednisolone eventually help Zia's appetite and get her eating more consistently? If so, when does that usually start? The vet said she'd call me on Saturday to see how things are going, is that enough time to start noticing improvements?

For those of you with cats on steroids, how did they do? How was their appetite?

Thank you for reading. Hope you're all having a good start of the year.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. I am sorry no one has posted yet! I think the timeline with Prednisolone can vary by cat, and certainly is impacted by the dosage. However, I do think that another couple of days ought to tell you something that you can share with the vet - one way or the other. The B-12 injection should help too, but I don't think it is instantaneous either.

How is she doing otherwise? Is she still on anti-nausea meds and an appetite stimulant? There is also a possibility that she is turned off by any food she associates with her getting sick. Some cats have been known to do that.

I don't know if you have searched this site for other folks with IBD cats while you wait for direct responses, but if you are interested here is a link for previous posts.
Search Results for Query: IBD | TheCatSite

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is on pred and it definitely took some time to kick in. Once it did though, gangbusters! He’d eat the plate if I let him. I think that took about 2 weeks, but would agree it varies depending on the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI. I am sorry no one has posted yet! I think the timeline with Prednisolone can vary by cat, and certainly is impacted by the dosage. However, I do think that another couple of days ought to tell you something that you can share with the vet - one way or the other. The B-12 injection should help too, but I don't think it is instantaneous either.

How is she doing otherwise? Is she still on anti-nausea meds and an appetite stimulant? There is also a possibility that she is turned off by any food she associates with her getting sick. Some cats have been known to do that.

I don't know if you have searched this site for other folks with IBD cats while you wait for direct responses, but if you are interested here is a link for previous posts.
Search Results for Query: IBD | TheCatSite
My cat is on pred and it definitely took some time to kick in. Once it did though, gangbusters! He’d eat the plate if I let him. I think that took about 2 weeks, but would agree it varies depending on the cat.
Thank you for the responses. I've browsed through the IBD threads here but it's been a while, so I probably missed some good information. One of the vets I saw did suggest that it might be psychological and that she's associating eating with getting sick, and to try different foods in different flavours (none of which she was interested in, or was only interested in for a day or so).

As for now, she wasn't doing great this morning (refusing to eat). She's since gotten worse. I gave her some Cerenia early this afternoon and hand-fed her a little bit of food, two sessions, about an hour in between. She was fine afterwards, albeit grumpy. Then an hour or so after her second feeding, she threw up a lot of liquid. No pill as far as I could see. Shortly after that she began coughing/wheezing and drooling excessively, became extremely listless, etc. She's still huffing and drooling and will barely lift her head. I tried giving her a tiny bit of water, but she dribbled it out. I haven't given her another dose of Pred yet. She has an emergency appointment with the vet in an hour. Not sure what to expect.

Thank you again for the responses. I'm hoping she maybe just has something caught in her throat and it'll be an easy solution, in which case I'm happy to hear the Pred should be effective after a few days.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert by any means and barely know anything. I can give you my recent experience, with my cat (recently) the pred worked pretty quickly (the same day), but he is on a 5mg tablet once per day for now until we start tapering off. HOWEVER, I discovered he wasn't wanting any of his old foods (he has a PLETHORA of options) because he associated them with making him feel sick. When I gave him the prescription (Purina EN) he gobbled down an entire can (he hadn't eaten much for a few days while we had his ultrasound, etc.). Are you able to offer her another option or are you stuck with the one food?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are going soon. Please let us know what happens and so sorry!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to offer her another option or are you stuck with the one food?
Thank you for the response, I'm glad to hear you noticed an improvement so quickly.

I've got plenty of other options, food-wise, and a store nearby I can get more if need be. I'm in a multi-cat household with cats with varying dietary needs, so we've always got a bunch of different kinds. She's completely off of her old food as well.

Vet couldn't find anything. Possibly she inhaled vomit when she got sick, or she could have just irritated her throat/nose, so I'm to keep an eye on her just to make sure her breathing stays steady and keep going with the Pred as usual, so she'll be getting her second dose soon. Vet gave me some cans of recovery food and Zia got fluids since she was dehydrated, and they're going to touch base with me tomorrow to see how she is. Right now she's still huffing, but she did lick a little of the recovery food, though lost interest in it pretty quick.

Thank you again for all your responses!

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the response, I'm glad to hear you noticed an improvement so quickly.

I've got plenty of other options, food-wise, and a store nearby I can get more if need be. I'm in a multi-cat household with cats with varying dietary needs, so we've always got a bunch of different kinds. She's completely off of her old food as well.

Vet couldn't find anything. Possibly she inhaled vomit when she got sick, or she could have just irritated her throat/nose, so I'm to keep an eye on her just to make sure her breathing stays steady and keep going with the Pred as usual, so she'll be getting her second dose soon. Vet gave me some cans of recovery food and Zia got fluids since she was dehydrated, and they're going to touch base with me tomorrow to see how she is. Right now she's still huffing, but she did lick a little of the recovery food, though lost interest in it pretty quick.

Thank you again for all your responses!
I'm sorry. How was she diagnosed with IBD? Ultrasound? Biopsy?