Question about my Siamese girls color

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, sable. She's definitely got that Siamese personality, except she's not as active. Very athletic when she wants to be, though. Emotional, easily offended.... VERY good hunter, too! (I saw her kill a mouse in one pounce and bite!)

I love her to pieces... hopefully someone will let me know about the Burmese gene. I am really curious to know why and what it is.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Burmese breed started in America by crossing a dark imported "Siamese like" kitten with a Siamese cat. The cats name was Wong Mau and was owned by Dr Joseph C Thompson (circa 1930)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most Siamese/Burmese breeders came to the conclusion that Wong was really a Tonkinese - so she threw both "burm" and "siamese" kittens (depending on what she was bred to).

I've seen young burms with very light coats that get darker with age, so there's probably something to it in heat sensitivity. But you do want a more solid color for burms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Most Siamese/Burmese breeders came to the conclusion that Wong was really a Tonkinese - so she threw both "burm" and "siamese" kittens (depending on what she was bred to).

I've seen young burms with very light coats that get darker with age, so there's probably something to it in heat sensitivity. But you do want a more solid color for burms.
I USED to know a couple of Burmese cats and they were SO SMART! To cross the street they would use the pipe that took the rain water from the hill behind us. They NEVER used the street! They were SO sweet and loving!

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always think it easier to think about point colors this way: let's take sealpoint:
A sealpoint is genetically a black cat with an overlying "colourless" coat (the point gene). At the points (face, ears, tail, legs) the underlying colour (black, although it looks brownish on pointed cats, which justifies the special name seal) breaks through, and the temperature determines how much of this colour breaks through.

I have a sealpoint/white moggie, she is two years old now and brownish all over her body, when she was younger people used to call her white. I always had a harrd time explaining them some of the parts they called 'white' (eg her back) were not white at all. When she got older I could explain it better. She has a big white spot on her breast, so now I can point out the difference between white (spotted) and "white" (barely coloured because of the point gene).

I guess the Burmese gene (cb) is like the point gen (cs) but it isn't repressing colour as much, more of the underlying colour breaks through.