Question about Advantage Flea Treatment

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our old Siamese Rupert, who died last year, was very drowsy on Frontline and our vet recommended Advantage as being better tolerated.  We used it monthly for years without any reaction. 

Our new Blue/White shirt- front cat, Sukie, has been scratching but she has rather a shaggy coat and I could not find any fleas nor flea droppings.   However  we gave her Advantage 'purple' and she ceased scratching but had a mild reaction as she became rather drowsy for two days .  From my limited experienced, it seems that some cats tolerate the medication well and others have a day or so of drowsiness;  However it would not surprise me if, according to Murphy's Law, occasional cats had more serious reactions.   (I am well aware that there are very few medications that cannot cause serious reactions in humans)

Sukie is well now and has resumed sleeping with Patricia, my dear wife, who noted an itch inside her ear canal. She scratched this and produced a black dot.   When she inspected it - to her horror - the dot jumped away!  She has apparently had the original flea in her ear!   (I suggested Advantage on the back of her neck but she refused this -  I don't know why!)  

With regards,

Geoffrey

hownowmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think one should assume its a bad reaction until you can assure yourself that its not. Maybe try putting the same amount of water on your cat's neck and see if the reaction to any liquid is the same. These are potent neurotoxins with product warnings against people getting it on themselves.  Wonder what putting a cat dose on one's own neck would feel like.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

These are potent neurotoxins with product warnings against people getting it on themselves.  Wonder what putting a cat dose on one's own neck would feel like.
I assume it would have no more effect than putting 0.5 ml of water on one's neck as the active ingredient,  imidacloprid, has a very low  toxicity via dermal exposure. The dermal LD50 in rats is estimated at greater than 5000 mg/kg.  http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/imidaclo.htm

Occasionally there may be an allergic reaction if the subject were sensitised by using  imidacloprid more than once.  (NB. I was only joking in my post when I suggested putting Advantage on my wife's neck.   I would never, ever expose my wife to any danger, not even the remote danger of an allergic reaction!)

Regards,

Geoffrey

Last edited: