Question about Advantage Flea Treatment

franciscan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat woman,

Thank you for the input.

Being new with cats, I have a long way to go before I know what is truth and what is not. It can be very confusing. Put this on your cat, no, put that. Feed this not that.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Cat woman,

Thank you for the input.

Being new with cats, I have a long way to go before I know what is truth and what is not. It can be very confusing. Put this on your cat, no, put that. Feed this not that.
You're welcome, and I couldn't agree with you more!

We all want what's best for our cats, and yes it can be very confusing as there are so many different opinions.

Good luck!

fur ball cleane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi fellow Cat person. I've tried frontline and advantage flea treatments on my two beloved pets one is fine but cindy get upset crys and tries to lick it of she stays away from us for nearly a whole day,have tried talking to the vet about it but they don't seem interested I hope this reply makes you feel. Better as your not on your own. I'm sure someone out there will have an answer for us both. Regards another cat lover.:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi fellow Cat person. I've tried frontline and advantage flea treatments on my two beloved pets one is fine but cindy get upset crys and tries to lick it of she stays away from us for nearly a whole day,have tried talking to the vet about it but they don't seem interested I hope this reply makes you feel. Better as your not on your own. I'm sure someone out there will have an answer for us both. Regards another cat lover.:
Some cats hate the smell, and will stay away from you, some squint their eyes, some salivate from the smell, but most do not.

These reactions are not meaning it will hurt them at all, some cats are more dramatic and sensitive.

You can also use revolution which has no smell at all, meaning no reactions :)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How do you know for sure Advantix would have killed your cats?
Advantage will not harm a cat if it is the regular kind, same with Advantage II. AdvanTIX will kill a cat as that product is strictly for dogs. 

gropey1031

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I do Use Advantage 2 with my 4 cats. The most recent rescue I believe is having a reaction to the Advantage. She isn't knawing, licking or scratching and seems otherwise normal except that she is losing hair on her back. No hair loss was noticed until after her second dose. If you want a safer more natural way to rid them of fleas along with your house....and this has worked for me EVERY TIME. First, buy the Capstar and give it to your cat. I would close the little one off in a bathroom or tiled floor cuz the adult fleas are gonna start falling off within 30 min and up to 6 hrs. Then generously powder each cat with FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth. This is safe for both humans and pets. Lightly brush this into the cats coat thoroughly. This kills all flea life stages. It's a very fine powder and might cause coughing so try not to inhale the stuff. As with the Borax Powder yet MUCH SAFER, treat ur entire house and leave it for 2wks. Yes, it's a mess for a while but this is very effective.

jmarksjimenez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What about Revolution?  My vet switched us to that, because she said it also helps with heartworm.

mestena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm interested in hearing about Revolution as well.   I have quite a few friends who swear by this product, including vet friends.

kellyk847

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I strongly suggest you stop the Advantage and get him to the vet.

ramblynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used Advantage on my cats for years and have had no problems, however, they hate, and I mean HATE when I apply it to the back of their neck. I have found that they are more acceptable of the flea de-infesting if I warm the Advantage first.  I take the little green liquid out of the outer wrapper, leaving the inner container intact and slip it into either my bra or undies for about 10 minutes.  That warms the Advantage to my body temperature, and when I apply it, the cats still hate what I am doing, but they accept it and don't try to squirm out of my arms.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've been a a part of this study.

We've seen zero fleas for several months after having a problem for some time. No flea dirt and no allergic reactions.

http://scandicat.com/FleaRemedyTrial.html
Thank you for sharing but personally I do not like feeding any flea products. Natural or not. Do you know what the product is composed of? I couldn't find any specific information regarding exactly what it was.

puller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The nice thing about Advantage (at least in the past) was that fleas didn't have to bite the host to die.  Maybe they have changed things with Advantage II.  I have two cats who have scratched holes in their neck and head after application.  :(  These two have always had a reaction to Advantage.  The dogs are on Advantage longer than the cats (who are inside cats), so I only treat the cats during the summer months and always forget that these two will scratch.  :(

jaxtabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For people with cats that the regular topical no longer seem to work, I highly recommend a product like Cheristin. My three male cats had no adverse reaction and the fleas died quickly.  The other meds had stopped working. 

jensam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could also look into food grade Diatomaceous Earth.  I'm always looking for a more natural solution, so I've been researching this lately. As with anything, there are pros and cons, so do the research. 

apollobw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 18 year old, hyperthyroid cat died two days after putting Cheristin on him and my almost four months old kittens have fleas, not sure if they ever really got rid of them. They are in a room with a feral Mother that most likely gave them the fleas, and I cannot treat her, and there were probably already eggs in the room, etc. Waiting to hear if I dare put Advantage II on the kittens. Just put Capstar on them today. Cheristin was put on them 7/21.