question about a breed I rescued.

jasper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About a month ago, I found a small kitten running around outside my apartment. He was very hungry and I managed to catch him by setting a can of cat food outside a hole he was hiding in. I took him to the vet, who determined him to be about 5 weeks old and underweight. He had a clean bill of health as far as no feline leukimia, aids, worms, or fleas, very unusual for a stray. I decided to keep him and named him Jackson, and is getting along great with my two female kitties. My question is, I think he is a Russian Blue. I have looked up characteristics and so far he fits all of them, especially in his coat. Its dark gray and looks like its silver on top. I was wondering if anybody who knows about Russian Blues could determine this for me. Thanks! Here is a picture of him:

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww he's so precious! Unfortunately he is most likely not a Russian Blue. They are not a very common breed so for one to be found wandering would be highly unusual. Plus breeders most likely don't keep their cats outside at all. The only sure-fire way to know is to see if there are any Russian Blue breeders in your area and see if they might have had an escapee.

Cats can display a multitude of characteristics on their own since their genetics for coloring are quite diverse. One litter of strays can contain calico's, gray's, white's and anything else, particularly since a litter of kittens can be from different fathers. I think the only breed you might be able to tell some lineage if found is a siamese because pointing is pretty rare. Cats don't naturally exist in breeds, its the humans that make the breeds. If we left them alone they would all be moggies.

Your boy has a common coloring but nonetheless he's gorgeous!! And I'm sure he'll bring a lot of smiles into the home

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't help with your question, but that little boy is just adorable! Can't wait to see mre pictures!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet would call your lovely baby a domestic short or medium hair

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My question is, I think he is a Russian Blue. I have looked up characteristics and so far he fits all of them, especially in his coat. Its dark gray and looks like its silver on top. I was wondering if anybody who knows about Russian Blues could determine this for me.
Without knowing both his parents you cannot say for certain what his heritage is....to me, he looks like a grey tabby. Very pretty.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I got into rexes, I bred and showed Russian Blues. He may not be 100% Russian, but he's a very good look alike of the older style of Russians. All Russian kittens have ghost tabby markings btw. If his adult eye color winds up more green then gold, he may have Russian in his background. Normal blue cats have gold eyes. Russians have green/gold as kittens which should turn to green as an adult.

If he also has a lot of the silver tipping, that's another indication of Russians. I will admit that he's very close to Russian Blue kittens that I bred.

Whatever he may be, he IS adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Before I got into rexes, I bred and showed Russian Blues. He may not be 100% Russian, but he's a very good look alike of the older style of Russians. All Russian kittens have ghost tabby markings btw. If his adult eye color winds up more green then gold, he may have Russian in his background. Normal blue cats have gold eyes. Russians have green/gold as kittens which should turn to green as an adult.

If he also has a lot of the silver tipping, that's another indication of Russians. I will admit that he's very close to Russian Blue kittens that I bred.

He is not a tabby. He has no tabby markings whatsoever. He is solid gray without a hint of any other color on him. He does have those rings around his tail, and in every Russian Blue picture I've seen, those cats had the same rings. The picture really doesn't do his coat any justice. But it is sooooo gorgeous. I have lots more detailed pictures of him too. I can't really tell what color his eyes are going to be because he is still very young. I think what might have happened is someone accidentally let him outside and I found him. I have always loved the RB and wanted one forever, so I feel really fortunate to have him whether he be one or not, but he sure is my little angel!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm talking about on the ghost tabby markings (on the tail) - every Russian Blue I've seen has them. They will fade over time and maturity.

And I disagree Wellington Cats - if the kitten has SILVER in the coat he is not just an ordinary blue domestic. The silver tipping is one of the differences with Russian Blue and Korats that sets them apart from the ordinary blue cat. Solid blues do NOT have silver tipping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That's what I'm talking about on the ghost tabby markings (on the tail) - every Russian Blue I've seen has them. They will fade over time and maturity.

And I disagree Wellington Cats - if the kitten has SILVER in the coat he is not just an ordinary blue domestic. The silver tipping is one of the differences with Russian Blue and Korats that sets them apart from the ordinary blue cat. Solid blues do NOT have silver tipping.
he has a lot of silver tipping.you really cant see it in the pictures, so i have a picture of his arm that shows some of it.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think you're beautiful little kitty is a Russian Blue, because his face does not look like a Russian Blue's face, and because the eyes don't look the right colour either. Russian Blue's have really super green, almost emerald green eyes. Russian Blue's aside from their distnctive coat, have distinctive eyes and facial features, that set them apart completely from other blue/grey cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ideal you describe is for show Russian blues, pet quality wouldn't have all the "ideal". And RB kittens eye color DOES change - its not deep green from birth; it goes thru the gold/green color when young and gradually gets the deep green (on a show quality).

I think its more of the older style RB's - the more modern RB's have a tendency to be "slendar/oriental" compared to the old style. I bred RB's in early 80's and know the difference. The modern ones also do NOT have the nice deep coat the older style had - that's because of siamese influence in some of the lines.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

He's not a tabby, a medium hair or a Russian Blue.

He is a Blue Domestic Shorthair.
Sam
Thanks I cant tell short from medium

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have a gorgeous Kentucky Blue!

For a purebred cat to be abandoned so young would take a very unlikely sequence of events. His pedigree is kind of moot anyway since it would be impossible to trace his heritage. All in all it is safe to assume that he is a mixed breed domestic shorthair, though he definitely has traits that resemble a Russian Blue.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
semiferal said:
I think you have a gorgeous Kentucky Blue!

QUOTE]
That s a new one never heard that phrase before

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

also, true Russians have a very thick, double coat. but he's gorgeous no matter what he is - i have a fondness for blue kitties, like my RB kitty, Mouse. she had that thick, plush coat, but golden/green eyes & was a very stocky build. just a DSH - but a beautiful one!