Queen Elizabeth

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was an amazing woman and role model. May she RIP. I agree with you. Obviously the line of succession is what it is but IMO the best person to take over would have been Princess Anne. She's been the hardest working royal for so long. She's the perfect blend of her parents and would have made an outstanding queen. William will do a great job when his time comes but I think it's just too soon for him.
I agree the notion that Princess Anne would be a better choice. Though her children would need Prince and Princess titles which I don't believe they have.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she was coronated the year before my birth.. Showing my age, but she is an institution. I heard she was brought up in the old tradition of " stiff upper lip'-- but she did do a lot. Her country always looked to her as a leader; a calming leader at that. She was well respected, world-wide.. Of course there are always the critics. Many disrespectful comments about her on Twitter.. I think that is a shame.

I kind of think she softened a bit, after Diana died-- or was killed. But who knows. She did seem a bit softer after Diana.. although who knows what happened with Megan.

Queen Elizabeth always reminded me of my mother, in her looks. She looked so much like my mom.. Every time I saw a photo of her, I would automatically think of my mom..

The only thing: I cannot, just cannot get my head around: King Charles.... 🤢 OMG...
and then Queen Camilla--
🤮

I just heard there will be a coronation ceremony for BOTH of them....🤮. Charles is only 73 years old. He has a long way to go.. Longevity runs in his family...
What's so bad about Camilla?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I take all that stuff about Camilla, Diana and personal stuff about Charles with a grain of salt. None of us know about what goes on behind closed doors. The world was also enamored with Diana and Diana knew how to use the press so we do not know anything about any of it. Camilla has been doing her duty as a working royal since they got married.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I personally believe the passing of her gentle and thoughtful husband, Philip, took it's toll on her. I've always heard that Edward was both Philip's and her favorite child. Not sure how I feel about Prince Charles becoming King but it is what it is and since he's the oldest they must follow the proper line of succession.

Queen Elizabeth was a very memorable figurehead. She exuded class without drawing attention to herself. Her nobility will always be remembered by many. 👑

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What's so bad about Camilla?
Nothing. Camilla has been a wonderful part of the BRF since she and Charles married 17 years ago. She has handled all of her royal duties with grace and class. She has absolutely earned her stripes. She will be a fantastic Queen Consort IMO and has never deserved the hate she's gotten. She was not to blame for the troubles between Charles and Diana. Charles made his own decisions before and during his marriage to Diana. Diana was a good woman, there's no doubt about that. She was no angel though and she cheated too. People seem to want to sweep that under the rug.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charles is a different story. He was her favorite. She doted on him--first born. Spoiled rich brat...
I think the other children were left out, to their nannies and the spoils of riches. .. But such are the duties of someone who was thrown into the spotlight. I do not know if she really knew how to be a normal mother; the contestants of royalty and decorum were always around her.
I personally believe the passing of her gentle and thoughtful husband, Philip, took it's toll on her. I've always heard that Edward was both Philip's and her favorite child. Not sure how I feel about Prince Charles becoming King but it is what it is and since he's the oldest they must follow the proper line of succession.
I know The Crown is a fictional retelling, but there was a whole episode that basically said Anne was Phillip's favorite, and Andrew was Elizabeth's.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing. Camilla has been a wonderful part of the BRF since she and Charles married 17 years ago. She has handled all of her royal duties with grace and class. She has absolutely earned her stripes. She will be a fantastic Queen Consort IMO and has never deserved the hate she's gotten. She was not to blame for the troubles between Charles and Diana. Charles made his own decisions before and during his marriage to Diana. Diana was a good woman, there's no doubt about that. She was no angel though and she cheated too. People seem to want to sweep that under the rug.
Well said.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm American, so I can't even imagine the psychological shock right now. But this is still hitting me harder than I thought it would. She was queen before my parents were even born, and she just seemed like a permanent fixture in the world. It felt like she had always been the monarch.
That's how I feel. My Mom was English, and only one tear younger than Elizabeth, so I grew up hearing about her.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know The Crown is a fictional retelling, but there was a whole episode that basically said Anne was Phillip's favorite, and Andrew was Elizabeth's.
It's long been said that Anne was Phillip's favorite as he saw more of himself in her than the others. I can see that. As I mentioned before, Anne is the perfect blend of her parents. Her mother more in looks and her father more in personality. I love Princess Anne. Tough, smart, beautiful and hard working.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally believe the passing of her gentle and thoughtful husband, Philip,
There is a picture of the Queen at Philip's funeral and it is particularly sad. It was the at the height of the pandemic so only a few people were there and everyone kept their distance. She was sitting all alone with her mask on. She looked so frail and so alone.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a picture of the Queen at Philip's funeral and it is particularly sad. It was the at the height of the pandemic so only a few people were there and everyone kept their distance. She was sitting all alone with her mask on. She looked so frail and so alone.
It was heartbreaking and I believe that her health really started to decline after she lost him. Her strength and stay

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
William, Kate, Harry and Meghan appeared together publicly today. I think it was just a short walk to look at flowers left.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Imagine being married for 70 years then - it’s over, just like that. My dad was like that after mom died.

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For me it's a complicated passing. Sure, she was a steady presence for my best friends who are British and their like. But she also supported a system of oppression, colonialism, and apartheid, not to mention The Troubles in Northern Ireland. So I try to think of her like anyone - a flawed human being who maybe did the best they could?