Queen Elizabeth

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The family is gathering at Balmoral and the Queen's entire schedule including virtual meetings has been suspended. It looks like the end may be near. She has been a steady presence on the world stage for 70 years and even served during the final days of WWII.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looked pretty frail when she shook the hand of the incoming PM, Ms. Truss.

She's the second-longest reigning monarch, ever at 70 years plus; Louis XIV of France is the longest at 72 plus years, though she's catching up fast. Louis was crowned when he was like 6 years old.

She’s been queen longer than I’ve been alive and I’m no yearling these days.

Last edited:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Queen Elizabeth II, who reigned over the U.K. for 70 years, dies at 96 (msn.com)

Beat me to it, Catapault.

70 years is a long while, and here's a quote from the article:

The length of [QE II'S] service, measured against that of other leading figures, proved astonishing — coinciding with that of 15 British prime ministers, 14 U.S. presidents and seven popes. As supreme governor of the Church of England, Elizabeth appointed six archbishops of Canterbury.

She also had to navigate shifting public attitudes toward the royal family as the increasingly unfettered media laid bare its troubles. The low point came in 1997 with the death in a car accident of her former daughter-in-law, Princess Diana, and public anger at the queen’s halting response to it.

Here she was about the time of her coronation.

1662659865995.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad the British public seemed to come back after a rough time for the Royal Family. I can't imagine doing her duty at all times for 70 years. I am sure there were plenty of times she would've liked to play hooky but she didn't. She was always where she was supposed to be and doing what was expected of her.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she was coronated the year before my birth.. Showing my age, but she is an institution. I heard she was brought up in the old tradition of " stiff upper lip'-- but she did do a lot. Her country always looked to her as a leader; a calming leader at that. She was well respected, world-wide.. Of course there are always the critics. Many disrespectful comments about her on Twitter.. I think that is a shame.

I kind of think she softened a bit, after Diana died-- or was killed. But who knows. She did seem a bit softer after Diana.. although who knows what happened with Megan.

Queen Elizabeth always reminded me of my mother, in her looks. She looked so much like my mom.. Every time I saw a photo of her, I would automatically think of my mom..

The only thing: I cannot, just cannot get my head around: King Charles.... 🤢 OMG...
and then Queen Camilla--
🤮

I just heard there will be a coronation ceremony for BOTH of them....🤮. Charles is only 73 years old. He has a long way to go.. Longevity runs in his family...

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm American, so I can't even imagine the psychological shock right now. But this is still hitting me harder than I thought it would. She was queen before my parents were even born, and she just seemed like a permanent fixture in the world. It felt like she had always been the monarch.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I know.. as I remember and look back, She had a remarkable life. Yes, she was an Icon, devoted to the Royalty..
but I think she somehow humanized it a bit. She was a calming figure in Britain forever. I think she really felt for Harry, and did as much as she was able to, in order to make him and Megan happy. I think the debacle with Diana and Charles did touch her, at the end. I think it made her more sympathetic.

Charles is a different story. He was her favorite. She doted on him--first born. Spoiled rich brat...
I think the other children were left out, to their nannies and the spoils of riches. .. But such are the duties of someone who was thrown into the spotlight. I do not know if she really knew how to be a normal mother; the contestants of royalty and decorum were always around her.

I think the Queen tried to strike a balance between home and royal duties, along with royal protocol. I feel it may have hindered her a bit. I cannot imagine having a mother or grandmother or aunt, whom I would have to cutesy to, upon meeting, and not being able to just walk over and hug, kiss them...

Queen Elizabeth had a major impact on all the head of states, of all the countries in the World.. What a remarkable achievement.. and she did it with Class...

RIP.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Queen Elizabeth was an amazing woman. I didn't really follow the monarchy, but I respected her very much.
Having a hard time with King Charles III.
She was an amazing woman and role model. May she RIP. I agree with you. Obviously the line of succession is what it is but IMO the best person to take over would have been Princess Anne. She's been the hardest working royal for so long. She's the perfect blend of her parents and would have made an outstanding queen. William will do a great job when his time comes but I think it's just too soon for him.